List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Rory Laird Ned McHenry now?
season 3 dr sweet GIF by Showtime

You just know the AFL is gonna give the Saints a lolly
It's interesting. They said they were scaling back first round compensation, and for the most part they have.

Personally, I think the NM pick was a priority pick disguised as compensation, but that was for a side who was actively ruining the fixture, they were so bad.

St Kilda are fine. No need for the AFL to intervene like they did with NM.

Say we take him just because he’s the best available player, then in the coming years players like Powell, Phillipou or NWM are considering a move home. Will we have the cash available to get them over the line if we’ve spent big on a position you don’t need to?

Having an elite ruck is not a pre-requisite to winning a flag.

Our strategy should be to invest in some young rucks we can get cheaply, and if none of them come on and it becomes a pressing issue, do what thr Bombers, Swans or Blues did and get a guy like Grundy, Goldy or Pittonet as those types are often available relatively cheaply.
We have maybe $650k spent on ROB. We'd need maybe $300k more to have English instead.

That's about 1.5% of the cap - so close to nothing. There's lots of ways to find that and it wouldn't impact flexibility.

We have maybe $650k spent on ROB. We'd need maybe $300k more to have English instead.

That's about 1.5% of the cap - so close to nothing. There's lots of ways to find that and it wouldn't impact flexibility.
Not sure if it’s a lingering concussion fear or because he is not getting offered the contract he wanted at the Dogs or other clubs but if he was to get injured now it would be a contractual disaster, not totally dissimilar to the Doedee situation.
Whatever the reason he has played bruise free footy this year.
But I don’t think we could walk past him if he was gettable for $300k extra a year.
He is unique in that he plays like a tall mid but is also a very effective forward.
An English / Thilthorpe combination would be a hard match up to cover.

edit : unique is not really correct . Marshall , Jackson , TDK , Grundy all capable .

Nathan Buckley gave his insight on talking footy last night on evolution of rucks.
Basically taps are overrated, death of the lumbering ruck replace with a tall mid !

Who would have thought .

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s a lingering concussion fear or because he is not getting offered the contract he wanted at the Dogs or other clubs but if he was to get injured now it would be a contractual disaster, not totally dissimilar to the Doedee situation.
Whatever the reason he has played bruise free footy this year.
But I don’t think we could not walk past him if he was gettable for $300k extra a year.
He is unique in that he plays like a tall mid but is also a very effective forward.
An English / Thilthorpe combination would be a hard match up to cover.
Yes that would be an incredibly tall and talented combination, at its best would be game changing for us. But I do wonder how English will fare in tough, physical finals with his...'light' style of football. And yes, would not be offering a long term deal with the concussion issues hanging over him. Doubt a deal under 6 years moves the needle though.

ROB comes out of contract next year. Your saying instead of looking at that as the better part of $650k that’s suddenly freed up to go after someone else, we should double down and commit even more cash to a position that it is completely unnecessary to do so in? Not sure I follow that logic.

I like Keane and love the attacking kicking he does (really the only defender we have who can do it), but we have plenty of depth, so I'm happy to trade him out.
Butts
Murray,
Worrell
Borlase

plenty of depth. Could add in a fringe/depth key defender via draft or trade

Might change his mind when he’s told we are going to play the next gen and he will be playing SANFL

Worrell, Murray, Michalanney, Nankervis, Hinge?

- Laird or Crouch being traded makes our already incredibly young list profile even younger.
And? We are winning with a younger profile already.

- Smith, Strachan, Schoenberg are no chance to be delisted
Based on? I agree Smith is the unlikeliest but this is how we should be thinking . At least SANFL. We have replacements to come in

Strachan and Schoenberg going dont hurt us at all

And? We are winning with a younger profile already.

Based on? I agree Smith is the unlikeliest but this is how we should be thinking . At least SANFL. We have replacements to come in

Happy to bookmark this one, GreyCrow. You don't win anything in this competition without depth.

Depth is important for any list. O'Brien might be tough as old boots, but if he gets injured, Strachan is the only other full-time ruck currently on the list. Schoenberg is currently behind Dowling and Taylor on the depth chart, but given he's still got a year left on his deal and no other clubs would be interested in trading him in, it just doesn't feel like a move that needs to be made. Couple of soft tissue injuries and all of a sudden he's a sub or starting a game. I don't think either player is the future, but I also don't see any point in getting rid just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do need to cull a few though or we'll end up with a massive list squeeze again.

Sloane - retired
Parnell - delisted
Himmelberg - trade/FA
One of Gollant/Burgess - delisted
McHenry - delisted

If Berry stays, I'd be cutting Schoenberg.

We do need to cull a few though or we'll end up with a massive list squeeze again.

Sloane - retired
Parnell - delisted
Himmelberg - trade/FA
McHenry - delisted

I think there's a fair chance all those cuts happen, so that'll create five extra list spots. Unlikely we'll use all of those unless we actually land a couple of free agents. Given that, not sure why we'd bother delisting Schoenberg when we could just have him as a depth/SANFL option for another year and then do it.

so in order to cut Schoenberg, you need to pay out his contract...
that wouldn't make any sense to do that.

Regardless if we are keeping Berry or trading him, Schoenberg isn't going anywhere for another year unless the club and him decides that a trade is in both parties best interest.

Sloane - retired
Parnell - delisted
Himmelberg - trade/FA
McHenry - delisted

Very rare for contracted players to be "cut"as you put it and let's face it on current form I doubt Schoenberg would enthuse any club enough to trade for him. Are you suggesting we delist him and pay out his contract? I doubt he'd be on top money but I also doubt he'd be on chicken feed either. He has just come back from a very serious injury so maybe it would be prudent to see how he goes after a full pre-season?

Depth is important for any list. O'Brien might be tough as old boots, but if he gets injured, Strachan is the only other full-time ruck currently on the list. Schoenberg is currently behind Dowling and Taylor on the depth chart, but given he's still got a year left on his deal and no other clubs would be interested in trading him in, it just doesn't feel like a move that needs to be made. Couple of soft tissue injuries and all of a sudden he's a sub or starting a game. I don't think either player is the future, but I also don't see any point in getting rid just yet.

Also got to remember Schoenberg has come back from an Achilles. It’s one of the more significant injuries you can get. I would expect him to be much better next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sloane - retired
Parnell - delisted
Himmelberg - trade/FA
McHenry - delisted

We will only make 5 changes tops. 1/2 free agents/trades and 3 picks in the draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes that would be an incredibly tall and talented combination, at its best would be game changing for us. But I do wonder how English will fare in tough, physical finals with his...'light' style of football. And yes, would not be offering a long term deal with the concussion issues hanging over him. Doubt a deal under 6 years moves the needle though.
Hasn't the league decided to offer a "get out of jail free" card on long-term deals, if concussion is involved?

ROB comes out of contract next year. Your saying instead of looking at that as the better part of $650k that’s suddenly freed up to go after someone else, we should double down and commit even more cash to a position that it is completely unnecessary to do so in? Not sure I follow that logic.
You either play a capable ruck - someone who gets around the ground, takes marks and acts as another midfielder - or you play one short.

Lumbering types getting hitouts are a waste of space.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back