Draft Profile 2024 Mid Season draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not suggesting Brisbane won't take Ruscoe, but gee I'd be spewing at the amount of talent they passed up to take him in this scenario. Would rather leave him until round 2. I also doubt Gold Coast will draft a player, let alone a ruck.

I reckon it goes:

1. North Melbourne: Geordie Payne
2. Richmond: Remy Maclean
3. West Coast: Jasper Scaife
4. St. Kilda: Will McLachlan
5. Hawthorn: Luke Beecken
6. Brisbane: Oskar Smartt
7. Adelaide: Noah Howes
8. Western Bulldogs: Max Hall
9. Gold Coast: Pass
10. Fremantle: Pass
11. Carlton: Liam McMahon
12. Collingwood: Jacob Blight
13. Melbourne: Saad El-Hawli
14. Port Adelaide: Pass
15. Essendon: Kobe Ryan

There are two rumours out about the Bulldogs, firstly that they're into Max Hall and secondly that they're into Bianco. I reckon the first is true and the second is smoke.
I forgot about Read but I think Moyle will be gone end of year and I really like Andrew as a key defender.

I'm not against Ryan per Se, but I'd Smartt is off the board I'd want Hagan. Small forwards are what we need.

For something different here's a phantom only using 19 year olds

4. St. Kilda: Tobyn Murray
5. Hawthorn: Will McLachlan
6. Brisbane: Ben Hopkins
8. Western Bulldogs: Oskar Smartt
9. Gold Coast: Cam Nyko
10. Fremantle: Liam Kershaw
11. Carlton: Dayten Uerata
12. Collingwood: Joe Pike
13. Melbourne: Lachie Voss
14. Port Adelaide: Will Patton
15. Essendon: Kelsey Rypstra

Last edited:
I'll attempt a R1 phantom draft, but I probably won't get it anywhere close to accurate:

Round 1:

2. Richmond: Jacob Blight
3. West Coast: Noah Howes
4. St. Kilda: Max Hall
5. Hawthorn: Luke Beecken
6. Brisbane: Trey Ruscoe
7. Adelaide: Kobe Ryan
8. Western Bulldogs: Trent Bianco
9. Gold Coast: Felix Flockhart
10. Fremantle: Jed Hagan
11. Carlton: Liam McMahin
12. Collingwood: Jasper Scaife
13. Melbourne: Jack Hutchinson
14. Port Adelaide: Frank Szekeli
15. Essendon: Oskar Smartt
Really good job at having a crack eth-dog, the only one there I can't see happening is Frank to Port, while they could still pick him up they picked up two small forwards in last years National Draft. But who goes where and at what selection is going to be quite interesting to say the least.

Not saying I disagree but these selections come due to players being on inactive lists which needs to be reversed at season end. So therefore I disagree.
Players can nominate 18 months if it matters to them.
I'm not looking at this from the perspective of club list management, but from the role I think AFLPA should play - most trade unions are trying to lift minimum standards, and eliminate the 'race to the bottom' that MSD candidates have to embrace with a 6 month contract

‘He’s a star’: Bullant a play-now AFL mid-season draft prospect​

Paul Amy

Northern Bullants coach Rohan Welsh has a lofty opinion of Saad El-Hawli, who presents as a top chance for the AFL mid-season draft and has been touted for two big Victorian clubs, writes PAUL AMY.
As new coach Rohan Welsh assessed the players at Northern Bullants pre-season training, trying to sort the certainties from the possibles and the doubtfuls to make the list, he was quick to make a judgement on Saad El-Hawli.
He knew next to nothing about him.
But he liked what he saw, and was in no doubt he would be in the top bracket of Ants players.
“You could just see his attributes … his pace, his level of skill, the athleticism, all the sort of stuff you see in good players,’’ Welsh says.
Nine rounds into the season, El-Hawli has risen to the top line of VFL players and appeals as one of the league’s best chances to be taken in Wednesday’s AFL mid-season rookie draft. If the rumours are right, Melbourne and Collingwood are keen on the 23-year-old.
Last Friday, he had 33 possessions and kicked two goals against the Sydney Swans. From his eight matches this year, he’s averaged 25.8 disposals and 6.5 marks as a half-back and winger who has also gone forward when needed.
“What he’s showed … his ability to win the footy, one-on-one, whether it’s in the air or on the ground, he can do it,’’ Welsh says.
“He’s a good size, he can run, he can jump, he’s a good mark, really good overhead, and a good ball user.
“So he’s got all the attributes. He’s a star. I actually think he’s ready-made, someone who can play this year and do really well. He’s well and truly good enough to play at that level (AFL).’’
El-Hawli says it would “mean everything’’ to be drafted.
“Growing up as a kid, I’ve always kind of dreamed about playing AFL footy, so if I can get my chance at an age like this, it would be amazing,’’ he says.
“It would be a dream come true, honestly.’’
El-Hawli joined the Bullants last year after spending 2022 at Werribee, where he played five senior games. Brodie Holland, who coached the Ants last year, had seen El-Hawli playing for Altona and coaxed him to Cramer St.
In 2021, the young Viking had been the Western Region league’s rookie of the year. El-Hawli spent his 18-year-old season with the Western Jets and was also attached to the Bachar Houli Academy.
Like Houli, he is a devout Muslim. And similar to Houli, it took an older brother to persuade his parents to allow him to play football.
“Dad wouldn’t let me play. He was worried about the physicality and the dangers of the game.
“My brother (Mohammed) convinced him to let me play when I was 13.’’
He says his faith is important to his football: “It helps me so much. It keeps my life very structured and keeps me away from drugs and alcohol.’’
He said as much in front of his teammates when Welsh recently invited him to speak about his beliefs. The coach thought it an enlightening and informative experience for every Bullant player and official.
El-Hawli says he has gained consistency this season and is enjoying the confidence of Welsh and the other coaches.
“Last year, I didn’t really come out of my shell,’’ he says. “This year, I’ve really embraced the challenge and gone for it.
“I had a big pre-season and got in the gym as well. (Welsh) has been incredible. He’s helped me with confidence, he’s helped me with self-belief, with my positioning. Top coach.’’
Welsh is resigned to losing one of his leading players at Wednesday’s draft. If it happens, it will weaken his team but strengthen the Bullants’ reputation as a club that can produce players for the next level.
Last year, big men Brandon Ryan and Finnbar Maley were drafted from the Ants.
“I hope he goes. I’m excited for him … it could be life-changing for the kid,’’ Welsh says. “That’s why we’re here. It would be awesome for the club to get another one up … that’s got to be a selling point for us, developing players and giving them the opportunity to get drafted.’’

El-Hawli was among a group of Bullants that trained with West Coast Eagles in Melbourne before Gather Round.

Meanwhile, clubs believe St Kilda is weighing up Box Hill Hawks midfielder and forward Max Hall, who missed Saturday’s match against Brisbane Lions with what the club called a “slight back issue’’. Hall has averaged 23.6 disposals from seven games this season.

The Saints had been linked to Old Brighton defender Max Benier, who was added to Sandringham’s list this month and played two VFL games. But he was squeezed out of Sandringham’s team and returned to OB last Saturday, an omission that left him one game short of draft eligibility.

Last edited:
For something different here's a phantom only using 19 year olds

4. St. Kilda: Tobyn Murray
5. Hawthorn: Will McLachlan
6. Brisbane: Ben Hopkins
8. Western Bulldogs: Oskar Smartt
9. Gold Coast: Cam Nyko
10. Fremantle: Liam Kershaw
11. Carlton: Dayten Uerata
12. Collingwood: Joe Pike
13. Melbourne: Lachie Voss
14. Port Adelaide: Will Patton
15. Essendon: Kelsey Rypstra
I think I'd cry if we took a rebounding defender, the part of the ground we're best stocked in, over a pressure forward or a promising KPF prospect.

personally I think the AFLPA should insist on 18 month minimums - many will have to move cities, so how reasonable is it to uproot your life and shift interstate for a 6 month contract?
THIS! Without a doubt this should get stamped by the AFL, local clubs getting the raw end of the deal in mid-season draft time, if you are down the foot of the ladder and you lose your best player or more so if your contending for finals and you lose one or two of your best that can have big consequences for the club in general, a lot of the time whether its 6 months or 12 months guys don't make it and are sent packing back to their own club.

One big change I feel must happen before Tassie come into the comp is in the mid-season draft, the minimum contract is 18 months, so if you are going to take a player, you'd want to be 200% sure he's the right fit for your list, not just a "we'll see how he goes, hopefully he takes his chances".

THIS! Without a doubt this should get stamped by the AFL, local clubs getting the raw end of the deal in mid-season draft time, if you are down the foot of the ladder and you lose your best player or more so if your contending for finals and you lose one or two of your best that can have big consequences for the club in general, a lot of the time whether its 6 months or 12 months guys don't make it and are sent packing back to their own club.

One big change I feel must happen before Tassie come into the comp is in the mid-season draft, the minimum contract is 18 months, so if you are going to take a player, you'd want to be 200% sure he's the right fit for your list, not just a "we'll see how he goes, hopefully he takes his chances".
The players knowingly nominate. They are the ones choosing to leave said club if they get picked up.

Tell me why you have Ruscoe at Lions pick what does he add the Lions don't already have
He's been linked from what I've seen.

The players knowingly nominate. They are the ones choosing to leave said club if they get picked up.
I understand this and also the fact is "its their dream" but I feel it goes way beyond that and that all bases should be covered in this situation. Like eg: the local clubs helped out more than they are at the moment, more security for the said player and like I said 18 month contracts as the minimum so all AFL clubs will be, how you say, more wary when picking up a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to that article, your GM of football mentioned both Ruscoe and Smartt on SEN as potential options.
Sportskeeda has a pretty poor reputation on accuracy, and this article is true to form, it's complete crap. Danny Daly didn't mention any names on SEN. Here's the interview proving it, the MSD-related part begins at about 09:30.

Most likely what's happened is the Sportskeeda author read the below article from Zero Hanger that mentions Daly and speculates the Lions might be into Ruscoe and Smartt, and thought it was Daly who brought them up.

I forgot about Read but I think Moyle will be gone end of year and I really like Andrew as a key defender.

I'm not against Ryan per Se, but I'd Smartt is off the board I'd want Hagan. Small forwards are what we need.
I think on pure talent, Ryan is way above Hagan, who wasn't very impressive in the state game. The WAFL might be Hagan's level, unfortunately. If Essendon are really desperate for small forward depth right now then they could go with Hagan. But if not, I don't think it would be smart to pick him, as they can get a more talented small forward at the end of the season. Ryan at least has the potential to be a regular best 22 player at the top level.

I understand this and also the fact is "its their dream" but I feel it goes way beyond that and that all bases should be covered in this situation. Like eg: the local clubs helped out more than they are at the moment
Local clubs (coaches) presumably facilitate getting their players drafted by giving references etc? Do any clubs give less than full support in hope they don't lose their players?

El Nour was the standout but being out for 2 months injured will hurt his chances.

Yeah Davidson is raw but huge untapped potential IMO. He has come from nowhere. I feel like he's more a rookie draft chance at the end of the year though. Archie May had a breakout game on the weekend, he'd be a chance on potential moreso than output. Joel Garner a smokey too if anyone is changing a mature age mid.
A 2mth injury at Richmond is likely to become a 12mth injury. Buyer beware

Amongst those nominating longer than minimum terms...

Felix Flockhart
Max Hall
Jack Hutchinson
Remy McLean
Will McLachlan
Milan Murdock
Toby Murray
Geordie Payne
Jasper Scaife
Oscar Smartt
Iliro Smit
Phoenix Spicer
Frank Szekely
Brynn Teakle

That's low-key interesting Toby would go for an 18-month contract, seeing he hasn't got a game for our SANFL side in about a month. Might be nothing, might be something in that.

Wasn't he with COVID recently?
Also does he have career outside footy?

No idea. All I know is he put up a rather promising performance against Port for a player of his size - though one that lacked a bit of end product - and disappeared off the face of the earth.

I understand this and also the fact is "its their dream" but I feel it goes way beyond that and that all bases should be covered in this situation. Like eg: the local clubs helped out more than they are at the moment, more security for the said player and like I said 18 month contracts as the minimum so all AFL clubs will be, how you say, more wary when picking up a player.
So, you want to stop players getting an opportunity?

Less will, if they move to 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back