Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsCharlie CurnowAlex Cincotta
Forwards:Elijah HollandsHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange from:Jordan BoydJack CarrollCorey Durdin
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCaleb MarchbankJesse Motlop

The Cincotta tagging role has two purposes - to quell an opposition midfielder and to free up Cripps to run forward without defensive obligation.
The second bit doesn’t work if Cincotta locks down on a half back flanker.
Yep makes it difficult to two on 1 cripps while winning clearance and enable TDK more influence at ground level .. looking back it totally changes the dynamic of the Collingwood and geelong games..

Last edited:
I get the warm and fuzzies reading through * hatred posts. A good sense of community.
As many others have stated.. I dislike Collingwood, do respect them though as much as their supporters are morons.
* on the otherhand... I have taken nothing but joy in their 20 years without a finals win, their punishments for PED abuse and ensuing destruction of evidence.
I know they feel the same way about us and that's why I think they're our biggest rivals.

I start to salivate at the idea of them crashing and burning after providing a glimmer of hope.
I want us to be the ones to kick start the free fall in front of a packed house.

No changes unless Motlop truly bashes the door down with 4 or 5 goals in the 2s.

BAGGERS!

How many top 4 teams have we played this year (top 4 at the time of playing them).

• GWS
  • Sydney
  • Geelong
  • Port
  • Melbourne
  • Freo
And now *.

That'll be 7 of our 13 games against a top 4. Statistically that's ludicrous.

Edit. If you include Round 0 as following on from ladder position from previous year then 8 of 13.
Will be a benefit come finals time.

Don’t forget your easy fixture…

They had a decent win over the dogs and a draw with Collingwood. Apart from that a fairly unimpressive form line. 1 goal win over WC. Smashed by Port. Fell in against half a tigers team. Would expect the suns to give them a touch up tomorrow.

I know it's hard for supporters not to get carried away when you see your team in 2nd on the ladder but jeez they've gone off the deep end this season. Watch them turn on Scott the minute it all goes to sh!t.

They have beaten 1 team in the top 8 and that was an interstate team at Marvel (GWS).

If we're a top 4 chance we should be beating a team at their level even if we're not in top form.

I always disliked the bombres but I remember copping it from their supporters one time when I was a kid at the G for the whole first half. Then we absolutely smashed them in the third quarter. I looked back from the game at 3QT and they'd all left.

There's just something about that club.

It attracts spineless turds.

How many top 4 teams have we played this year (top 4 at the time of playing them).

• GWS
  • Sydney
  • Geelong
  • Port
  • Melbourne
  • Freo
And now *.

That'll be 7 of our 13 games against a top 4. Statistically that's ludicrous.

Edit. If you include Round 0 as following on from ladder position from previous year then 8 of 13.

Do add some pepper to that...

GWS, Geelong and Sydney were all 1st when we played them...

GWS were unbeaten on a 5 game win streak,
Freo unbeaten on a 3 game win streak,
Cats unbeaten on a 6 game win streak,
Melbourne won 5 of their last 6,
Suns won 3 of their last 4,
Port won 4 of their last 5,
Sydney won 8 of their last 9,
Lions at the Gabba - 2023 runners up and it was round 0
Pies - 2024 premiers won 3 of their last 4 and that other game was a draw, so unbeaten for over a month

Then the "easier" teams:
Richmond before they had half their team on the injury list... 2 weeks later they beat Sydney
Adelaide played lights out and couldn't miss.

Most of those with a lot of best 22 players out...

Done extremely well to be 8-4 right now. Our next 2 games won't be that easy either... * will remain 2nd regardless of tomorrow's result. Cats could slide to about 7th or 8th unless they beat Sydney at the SCG...

Like it or not, * will be up for this one and they will be full of confidence. While I believe we are the better side and should win, it won't be by the 10 goals everyone wants it to be unless they have a meltdown.

The last 2 games we have played with the right intent and attitude that saw us surge into finals last year. We bring that, we're not losing to them.

Then we have the Cats after the bye (and let's be honest, a much needed rest for them not just us). So they will be fresh as a daisy for that encounter.

After that, it should start to get a lot easier. This is why it is critical we give it our all in these next two games... win them and chances are we're not dropping out of the top 4. 10 Day break before *, 12 day break before Cats, we will be well rested for both games so expect us to be fired up for them and at our best.

They had a decent win over the dogs and a draw with Collingwood. Apart from that a fairly unimpressive form line. 1 goal win over WC. Smashed by Port. Fell in against half a tigers team. Would expect the suns to give them a touch up tomorrow.

I know it's hard for supporters not to get carried away when you see your team in 2nd on the ladder but jeez they've gone off the deep end this season. Watch them turn on Scott the minute it all goes to sh!t.

They have beaten 1 team in the top 8 and that was an interstate team at Marvel (GWS).

If we're a top 4 chance we should be beating a team at their level even if we're not in top form.

Yep.

In 2022 we were 3rd after round 10... missed finals (we didn't beat many top 8 teams at the time either for our 8-2 record)

Last year, they were 5th after round 17... missed finals

So being 2nd after round 11 ain't meaning much at this point...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Essendon are lippy and over confident all week, lubed by their supporters and stroked by the media, while we stay humble and then focus our seething rage once the ball is bounced.

I don’t see it happening - I see the Suns winning by 5+ goals today and the media downplaying * chances all week and hoping for an upset but claiming a 30 point loss to us is a great result

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For the record, *s season is below. Can see them dropping a few games from now on (hopefully beginning tomorrow)...
R1 Hawks MCG Win 107-83
R2 Swans SCG Loss 101-131
R3 Saints Marvel Win 71-67
R4 Power Adelaide Loss 42-111
R5 Bulldogs Marvel Win 96-67
R6 Crows Adelaide Win 78-75
R7 Magpies MCG Draw 85-85
R8 Eagles Optus Win 77-71
R9 Giants Marvel Win 82-62
R10 Kangaroos Marvel Win 106-66
R11 Tigers MCG Win 86-74
R12 Suns People
R13 Blues MCG
R15 Eagles Marvel
R16 Cats MCG
R17 Magpies MCG
R18 Demons MCG
R19 Crows Marvel
R20 Saints Marvel
R21 Dockers MCG
R22 Suns Marvel
R23 Swans Marvel
R24 Lions Gabba

Should’ve lost aints and crows game.

I see them winning 5/6 games should get them 5-8th

Can’t miss from from here……or could they?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So, do we go in unchanged again or are there changes to be made? Looking at the 2s I see Carroll is named - is he able to play given he subbed on or will he be a late out for the 2s today? He may be one to give way if there is an in to be made, even only to give him a decent run after a lot of time on the sub bench. That's less of an issue if he plays a full game today.

Other than that Fantasia's output has been heavily criticised and consistently low, but the coach has stood up for him and it's not clear who would take the role he is presently playing covering for Cottrell's absence. Binns has the endurance game but would be another light body and Ollie Hollands stood up this week.

Other than that Owies continues to underperform but is till averaging comfortably better than a goal a game, behind only the twin towers and well ahead of anyone else (though of course Zac Williams has been hitting the scoreboard a lot more since going forward).

Motlop and little Durds get their chance to impress in the 2s today but one hasn't been playing well and the other hasn't been playing at all so it would have to be a big game to force their way in especially as the opposition is not the strongest VFL team going around. Kennedy has a poor game this week but has been much better over the course of the year.

There may be pressure on him and/or Hewett if we get close to a full squad fit - Cerra is a walk-up start as is a fit Martin, but at this stage I think MK stays. Marchbank is a coach's favourite but the only one I see him replacing on this week's showing is Cowan and I think whilst the stats were down a bit this week they are not bad over the course of the year but moreover I like his toughness and he just seems to be a player who will reward the club more and more as they get more games into him at the highest level.

In any event maybe the club has learnt its lessen about rushing Marchy back and will give him more continuity in the 2s before looking at a seniors return. That's what I would do and if we desperately need more height down back (and Marchy is only a third tall anyway) consider whichever of big Durds or Young might perform better. For my own point of view I'd stick with the defence we have especially as they only have the one real tall forward in 2 metre Peter.

So, pending the 2s today - and reserving the right to totally change my mind after the 2s - it could well be no change but if someone stands up perhaps Carroll and/or Fantasia are at risk or at a stretch Cowan or Kennedy though I'd back them both in. I doubt we would look to revert to 2 rucks and assuming TDK is fit to go I don't see Pitto coming in even if his finger is good which is uncertain anyway.

So, do we go in unchanged again or are there changes to be made? Looking at the 2s I see Carroll is named - is he able to play given he subbed on or will he be a late out for the 2s today? He may be one to give way if there is an in to be made, even only to give him a decent run after a lot of time on the sub bench. That's less of an issue if he plays a full game today.
Other than that Fantasia's output has been heavily criticised and consistently low, but the coach has stood up for him and it's not clear who would take the role he is presently playing covering for Cottrell's absence. Binns has the endurance game but would be another light body and Ollie Hollands stood up this week. Other than that Owies continues to underperform but is till averaging comfortably better than a goal a game, behind only the twin towers and well ahead of anyone else (though of course Zac Williams has been hitting the scoreboard a lot more since going forward). Motlop and little Durds get their chance to impress in the 2s today but one hasn't been playing well and the other hasn't been playing at all so it would have to be a big game to force their way in especially as the opposition is not the strongest VFL team going around. Kennedy has a poor game this week but has been much better over the course of the year. There may be pressure on him and/or Hewett if we get close to a full squad fit - Cerra is a walk-up start as is a fit Martin, but at this stage I think MK stays. Marchbank is a coach's favourite but the only one I see him replacing on this week's showing is Cowan and I think whilst the stats were down a bit this week they are not bad over the course of the year but moreover I like his toughness and he just seems to be a player who will reward the club more and more as they get more games into him at the highest level. In any event maybe the club has learnt its lessen about rushing Marchy back and will give him more continuity in the 2s before looking at a seniors return. That's what I would do and if we desperately need more height down back (and Marchy is only a third tall anyway) consider whichever of big Durds or Young might perform better. For my own point of view I'd stick with the defence we have especially as they only have the one real tall forward in 2 metre Peter.
So, pending the 2s today - and reserving the right to totally change my mind after the 2s - it could well be no change but if someone stands up perhaps Carroll and/or Fantasia are at risk or at a stretch Cowan or Kennedy though I'd back them both in. I doubt we would look to revert to 2 rucks and assuming TDK is fit to go I don't see Pitto coming in even if his finger is good which is uncertain anyway.
Paragraphs

Chatting with a work colleague through the week, bummers supporter. One of my best mates, at work. Yet because he loves his injector's he has this slant against Fanta and Saady. Like it just does not matter how much blood they shed and sweat and tears they released for his club. The fact that they openly wanted to leave his club and go play with us, means they are absolutely scum of the earth, Lol.
EFC should move to Egypt…and officially live in a state of de-nile.

I don’t see it happening - I see the Suns winning by 5+ goals today and the media downplaying * chances all week and hoping for an upset but claiming a 30 point loss to us is a great result

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Funny cos true.

The Cincotta tagging role has two purposes - to quell an opposition midfielder and to free up Cripps to run forward without defensive obligation.
The second bit doesn’t work if Cincotta locks down on a half back flanker.

At centre bounces Cincotta was sprinting off the square to follow Butters. I noticed this caused a lot of confusion in Port’s mids and often Walsh or Cripps found the outnumber. I wonder if Essendon will pick up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back