Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to know how this impacts this year?
The only impact I see is that rather than hitting the finals with a group that had close to no finals experience we now have a team which has played in finals, including two hard fought victories. I fail to see it as anything but a positive in relation to where we are now.

There is a big difference between possibly beating sydney and acknowledging the harsh reality of how we match up against their midfield and wings. We are already leaking from the centre clearances. Sydney's midfield are primed to exploit us with burst from stoppage and the oulet ball to gulden or mcinearny on a wing gives me nightmares, against hollands etc The right day, ground, weather, we at our best, charlie has a cracker- we can win. However, we are talking 99 prelim stuff

There is a big difference between possibly beating sydney and acknowledging the harsh reality of how we match up against their midfield and wings. We are already leaking from the centre clearances. Sydney's midfield are primed to exploit us with burst from stoppage and the oulet ball to gulden or mcinearny on a wing gives me nightmares, against hollands etc The right day, ground, weather, we at our best, charlie has a cracker- we can win. However, we are talking 99 prelim stuff
This is nothing like 99, we won 12 games in the home and away that year, Essendon won 18. We were an ordinary team that year and lost a final by 73 points before making a Grand Final. The win against Essendon was something of a miracle, there are no similarities to Carlton of 2024.

Disagree. Get them on the MCG in finals conditions and we can win. They have talent but we have several genuine matchwinners as well.

Just a side note.

Friend was at a kangas/sponsorship trivia thing the other night was on a table with Sheezel and Xerri and they commented on how arrogant and lippy the swans were by far the worst they’d heard all year.

I suppose when you’re on top you can do what you like.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not surprised at all…

scraped through two and beaten comfortably in the prelim. I'm talking about winning a grand final.
l would hardly call losing to Brisbane by a few goals as a disaster and then Brisbane losing by a goal the following week.
The last two weeks have been disappointing but Let's assess in another 8 weeks, you are overreacting in such a even season, two weeks ago some weeks some players were so critical to the structure eg Fogarty and now in the space of two games this has flipped.

Let's calm down and see how the remainder of the season plays out.

16 points in Brissy wasn’t too bad,Collingwood scraped their way through 2023
The finished first on the ladder, won the flag and won an amazing amount of close games, the way they applied pressure and performed under pressure was astounding. Both Geelong and Sydney had to be really rally good to beat them in the finals series the year before. We are horribly underrating Collingwood.

We aren't at that level yet. We potentially could be if everything comes together from here on with our finals run but we have quite a bit of improvement to go before we are in this category.

In my opinion our midfield has not been firing well enough the last few weeks. Perhaps the mix or our tactics are failing. Or forward line is not good enough on paper but potentially could be awesome pending fitness. Our defence is going ok but IMO we are short one rebounding defender. This again could be remedied if Docherty returns successfully.

The part of the Brissy game that concerned me the most is the fact we jumped to a 5 goal lead and got absolutely smashed for the remaining 3 quarters. We have seen that a couple of times since then. To me, this happen when you have enough guns to get you out of the blocks but not enough quality through the entire team to sustain it.

Our celling is really high, our current side is mediocre, we need everyone out there to win the whole thing. Sydney will be meeting every side that is at least equivalent to our best 22.

Fogarty is valuable because we have no one else and he applies a bit of pressure. It's a list management issue. If we had a stronger group of small forwards. Cottrell, Fogarty, Cuningham and Fantasia would be nowhere near it. Injury has not helped us. Drafting Moir who is years away has not helped us. None of those guys get a game if every player is at full fitness. Martin and Motlop are shoe ins, Silvagni is therabouts and Williams has more than made himself at home as a forward.

Fogarty is also one of the worst users of the ball in our side and is one of the worst shots at goal of all time. So the few times he does get the footy, he usually butchers it. It's also obvious that this is known to his teammates. When he's open we won't go to him for this very reason. You just can't have that in a serious grand final contending side.

Cottrell plays the game much the same way an umpire does. Runs up and down the ground and stays out of the way of the play. He does not contribute physically in the contests and his closing speed is poor. His chasing and tackling is second rate. As far as I can tell, Voss must like that he can get ahead of the ball well and he can stand in a zone. He just doesn't get the ball or apply pressure and I really struggle to see much value in his game. He's good when he gets the ball.

Fantasia is not great. Physically not there, ok when he gets the ball but in the contest really is not flash.

They are all good VFL players getting a game in a side that has injuries and a weakness in this department. None of them would survive on Sydney's list.

It's a worry when we are competing for a flag that players of this level are getting consistent games in our side.

Cuningham hasn't got the best footy IQ and isn't overly good in the physical contests however out of the three he is better in all aspects. Gets more of it than Cottrell, Fantasia and Fogarty and he also does a good job defensively. He can be played on the dangerous half backs and will shut them down. He's also a good finisher and has good closing speed. Dropping him in finals last year was a blunder by our MC.

Sometimes the ball falls to a contest and sometimes to the opposition, small forwards need to get in there, close quickly and hit hard. This is a big hole with most of our small forwards. Having guys who have some inside mid experience has improved our game as they will compete well for the contest ball inside F50. Williams for example and why I want to see Cerra go though there.

I think that Williams, Owies, Martin, Motlop and the mids (Cerra, Walsh, Hollands) are our best combo.

F: Motlop McKay Martin
HF: Williams Curnow Hollands
IC: Owies
Rotations: Kennedy Walsh Cerra
Missing: Silvagni
VFL: Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia, Cuningham, Moir, Lemmy

I would not have Fogarty, Fantasia, Cottrell or Cuningham anywhere near our best 22. I would only have Owies in there just. I would love to recruit a couple of gun small forwards, then we could let a few of them go.

It is a very non threatening forward line. We go to the same players all the time because the team knows there are only a few players in that forward line who can be trusted to win the ball and use it well. It's a problem with our ball movement and makes us predictable to the opposition. Quality wise it's unbalanced and lacks quality depth, pace and smaller goalkicking options.

At it's best, It's really good. That above forward line is as good as any. But too many of those names have played too few games.

We won't last long in finals with Fantasia, Cottrell, Cuningham and Fogarty getting games. Maybe one of. But currently we are carrying too many weak forwards.

Agree with the theme of this but would caveat the point that we cant have everything. We have to accept the fact that the draft / salary cap means we will always hold a few tweener players. Players in between VFL/AFL. The more we hold 'incredible players' like charlie/walsh/weitering, the less we can afford elsewhere in our best 23.

So i agree Austin should be making best efforts but his hand it tied behind his back to some degree.

We are sitting second and have a good shot at top 2 and the flag as it sits. We have weaknesses in three areas not just the small fwds. But i guess we are Carlton crazy-focussed. If we analysed the other teams to the same degree we would identify their weaknesses too.

Ignore the responses from the posters who take umbrage at your naming players and them quoting 1-2 specific games in defence of the players. It's averages and seasons that count when explaining a theme. If it's quoting 1-2 games then let's not forget Billy Frampton won a flag and has played 2 good games too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. Get them on the MCG in finals conditions and we can win. They have talent but we have several genuine matchwinners as well.
Yep. There’s a degree of hardness and belief in the group now. On the MCG, I give us every chance against anyone on any day.

The finished first on the ladder, won the flag and won an amazing amount of close games, the way they applied pressure and performed under pressure was astounding. Both Geelong and Sydney had to be really rally good to beat them in the finals series the year before. We are horribly underrating Collingwood.
Still not sure what this has to do with this season, or this preview thread

We aren't at that level yet. We potentially could be if everything comes together from here on with our finals run but we have quite a bit of improvement to go before we are in this category.
Only thing short term history tells you, is finishing top 3 gives you an on par chance of winning the flag

In my opinion our midfield has not been firing well enough the last few weeks. Perhaps the mix or our tactics are failing. Or forward line is not good enough on paper but potentially could be awesome pending fitness. Our defence is going ok but IMO we are short one rebounding defender. This again could be remedied if Docherty returns successfully.
Things change very quickly from month to month, we've seen it with all sides in the 8

The part of the Brissy game that concerned me the most is the fact we jumped to a 5 goal lead and got absolutely smashed for the remaining 3 quarters.
Nothing to do with our current season or our style

We have seen that a couple of times since then. To me, this happen when you have enough guns to get you out of the blocks but not enough quality through the entire team to sustain it.
Rubbish, we have beaten sides convincingly with similar type players, like the Cats

Our celling is really high, our current side is mediocre, we need everyone out there to win the whole thing. Sydney will be meeting every side that is at least equivalent to our best 22.
Our current side isn't mediocre, we have lost to 2 quality sides in the last 2 weeks

No one should fear Sydney come finals

Why do we always downgrade a teams success and overate ours .. Collingwood were so good the last 2 years with that list which I feel is only as half as good as ours .. they went into every game busting a nut and won a premiership. They are just a great club ….. we are flaky as a club and when we are in a position to solidify 2nd position we drop the ball … should have busted a nut got 2nd sewn up and then relaxed

In: Hewett, Motlop, Cunningham, Sam Durdin, Carroll

Out: Kemp (omitted) , Williams

S.Durdin as I live and breath
giphy.gif

Wonder what the odds were a couple of months ago that Carlton would be running a Weitering/Durdin/Marchbank back 3 in Round 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back