Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wanted it more.We have a reputation of being mentally weak and in this comp if your a little off you get beaten.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean we decided to go with only 2 inside mids against the Dogs. Is selection this week acknowledging that was a mistake? It was truly the weirdest midfield lineup I've seen us with in a while.

A question for the list watchers..

Why do we think Jack Martin is emergency, but Ollie and Cotters are playing?

Surely he is an upgrade on one of those two given recent form? A viable avenue to goal and x factor, seems strange to me unless there is something I don't know.

He’s a clear upgrade on talent but he plays a different position, at least with respect to Ollie. Cotters and Ollie whilst both in poor form, are two of our better runners in a team that lacks that run and foot speed. They’re hard to drop for that reason so they do get a bit lucky. If we drop one we likely end up with a Cerra or Cuningham (both injury prone) doing rotations on the wing and a lot more running than they usually do. Not ideal IMO. Maybe Elijah too but I personally don’t like the idea of him on the wing. He’s best utilised half forward and mid rotations.

You have to pick to positions. You can’t just fling the magnets around and put players in unfamiliar or unsuitable roles. At this stage of the season we should be consolidating positions and not tinkering too much. Also, I think Martin probably needs another VFL game before he gets a recall. Just my thoughts.

If he can he’d be a heck of a player
I think that is what everyone has been holding out hope for.

Generally those who are big fans of his have seen those glimpses and think of what he could be. Problem is time is running out for him. 8/ 9 years in the system and he has yet to show he can pull a 4 quarter game off.

Not saying injuries haven't played a part, but we have so many of these injury prone types that it's hard to justify a list spot after so long a period

Let's hope he shows it this weekend for himself and the club. What a weapon he would be to have at our disposal

What is it about this footy team that makes you worry about playing a team 2nd last on the ladder when we are 2nd? I just want to go into games trusting the team and knowing that they are professional enough to get jobs like this done with a minimum of fuss.

Anyway. One can always dream.

We have to play to our strengths. We were lauded early this year for our big-bodied, combative midfielders. Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy have all played good footy. Sam has been a little off his best, whereas Cerra has been down on confidence and form. I will say categorically....when we bring the heat/pressure, and win the ball at stoppages, we don't look slow. All our midfielders have quick hands and release each other to space when on song. It's time the coaches let them play.

Big game for Marchbank. CHB is our achilles heel. He has looked ordinary in the games he's played. So its a big ask. He has to get back to his best asap, otherwise he will be on the scrap heap. Hoping he does for all our sakes!

To be a serious threat this year we need our role players playing good footy. Looking at you Cottrell, Ollie, Fog and Cincotta. Thinking Cincotta locks down on Sheezel who is a major play-maker for North.

Carroll, Cuningham and Motlop have to show something. There is no easing in. Each of them are playing for their spot in the team, with the first two playing for their careers.

I'm with VOSS. It's time to kick into action. To get our game going. Use this game as the catalyst for building team synergy and confidence and marching on to a finals assault.

Go blues!

We’ve gone for a much more mobile team this week. Two key forwards, two key defenders and one ruck. A clear sign to me we are trying to ratchet up our contest and pressure which is our one wood.
Yes, much more mobile, although no tall defender as back up and we know that one of our tall defenders is very injury prone.

I appreciate why people are nervous but some are talking about teakle as if he's Jeremy Cameron lol

Yep.We as supporters have to trust the match committee with their decisions but when some selections are obvious and you’re left scratching your head the mind just boggles.

IE:Marchbank.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What’s so boggling for you Benaly28 ???

Surely you can see that we are shaping our finals side and it’s important to get our best 18 up to speed now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If fit he plays every week.

After this week he will be cherry ripe.
I would like nothing better than Marchy playing to his potential.

SELECTION INTEGRITY

“After this week he will be cherry ripe” doesn’t cut it. Unless bereft of options he has to earn his way in.

Kemp has been thrown to the wolves, most notably against a rampant Hogan, while our superstar once again proved he can’t play through a bit of bruising.

The second things get tough, Kemp is flicked despite getting the job done all year, often being undersized against genuine keys, while another “superstar” McGovern is allowed the “rope” to play unaccountable footy as long as he does a bit of rebound distribution.

Absolutely Weiters and Gov are quality players, but blokes like Kemp are hung out to dry while attempting to cover their inadequacies, thus “exposing his own”.

SELECTION INTEGRITY

“After this week he will be cherry ripe” doesn’t cut it. Unless bereft of options he has to earn his way in.

Kemp has been thrown to the wolves, most notably against a rampant Hogan, while our superstar once again proved he can’t play through a bit of bruising.

The second things get tough, Kemp is flicked despite getting the job done all year, often being undersized against genuine keys, while another “superstar” McGovern is allowed the “rope” to play unaccountable footy as long as he does a bit of rebound distribution.

Absolutely Weiters and Gov are quality players, but blokes like Kemp are hung out to dry while attempting to cover their inadequacies, thus “exposing his own”.
I constantly read on here that “we need to be ruthless with team selection”. Selection integrity and ruthlessness are not one and the same

After destroying Geelong - too many went to sleep. The GWS effort was horrendous and then to follow up with losing to the puppies was probably worse.

Meanwhile Cerra / Cottrell and looks like Marhbank are bing nursed back into match fitness after long breaks - form doesn't return over night. At the same time, the weekly injuries ( McGovern ) and general who knows soreness to ( TDK ) and the need to get pittonet back up to AFL fitness just in case and depending...

so many variables to consider when Voss and CO are obviously wanting to beef up all the 'squad options' to be right for the final run home an finals.

I expect wek to week changes because that is how things work when this and that and teh other thing isnt.

this week a lot of hir pulling over Kemp V Marchbank.
neither will win or lose a game for Carlton - my concern is the continual midfield experimentation going on - but even those are abut managing players I expect.

In my simple world my midfield is Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/Hewett and Kennedy with Acres everyone else is cross finger and hope they dont miss too many tackles make too many fumbles ...- haven't seen these eblokes all together doing their thing and dominating - all years if the midfield doesn't win teh ground ball game Carlton are gettable by any team. That is who the puppies and GWS beat Carlton.

How Carlton allowed GWs and Doggies to win teh between the arcs game is the itchy scratchy for me.

Also feel Marchbank is a bit like
Weiters where they play better with a few games under their belt… would love to see kemp play third forward and just go for it … he has that attacking flair to go for mark
You're correct but problem with marchbank is by the time he's somewhat match fit & getting some feel he's then injured .
15 senior games in closing on the last 5 seasons personally I feel it's fanciful the MC still have faith in marchbank over the development of Kemp .
Also considering marchbank will most likely be gone at seasons end.

You're correct but problem with marchbank is by the time he's somewhat match fit & getting some feel he's then injured .
15 senior games in closing on the last 5 seasons personally I feel it's fanciful the MC still have faith in marchbank over the development of Kemp .
Also considering marchbank will most likely be gone at seasons end.
All the MC has got to play is what they have go to play as far as players are concerned. It is a toss of the coin between Kemp and Marchbank IMO - Kemp is young and full of vigour but has a see ball get ball mentality which isn't a defensive mindset - which is in simple terms is, see ball kill ball first.

His shortcomings regarding thinking have been on display all year- and the only difference between a good performance and an not-so-good is his ability to take a mark ( often he shouldn't have even tried) or not. It is hard for a smaller sized defender to match up against big forwards- I have no more confidence in marchbank than Kemp - but the difference is that Marchbank is smart enough to know that kill ball is the first priority. Both have glaring physical limitations.

Carlton has been short a second KPD sized and capable bloke since Austin failed with Young and Durdin picks - simple as that and NOTHING is going to change this structural weakness until it is addressed. For this year - it is about team defensive actions and if Kemp continues to think he is an intercepting rebounder first - and shuit down defender second his attitude not his ability is what is being questioned. Ive always thought he is an attacking player better suited between teh arcs or forward - and nothing Ive seen of him (and I like him as a player) has changed my mind.

If fingers need to be pointed it is directly at the failure of Durdin and Young - one has a flaky body and the other is just flaky.

Compare Kemp to Cowan is all you have to do to understand teh concerns that teh MC have with Kemp- one ois a defender first and a rebounder second - the other is confused too often. he needs to be un confused and reprogrammed to be an attacking player somewhere - and I blame the shortage of options at Carlton on Kemp being poorly developed - more than Kemp.

Still - Carlton has a job to so and that is to make finals and go from there- against better teams you cant afford defenders to not be able to kill ball as first option. IF / when Kemp learns that lesson - he will always be picked.

SELECTION INTEGRITY

Agree 100%…

The very simple answer is he is NOT a defender, which validates the rest of your post…

Because of this fact, he needs to be pushed further up the ground but he’s not good enough yet to displace anyone…

‘Cherry ripe’ does cut it but only for this week, as we play an inferior team. Kemp has been ‘cherry ripe’ all season, so he’s had NO excuse.

So many on here will tell you, when the ball comes in long and Kemp is one out, on anyone, they get nervous, when Kemp has the ball and is about to kick, they get nervous, he’s just not trustable right now.

You’re right, he has been getting the job done all year, that job is to cover our injured starting tall defenders…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back