Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m tired of Ollie butchering it - we just can’t afford those turnovers game after game. He didn’t have a great game.

Some good defensive efforts undone by terrible skill errors.

He had 2 turnovers for the game.
And his couple of mistakes were decision making rather than skill errors.

Just watched Cooper Lords highlights package after he was just given his contract extension. Boy, he is super impressive. You never know, we might actually need him on Friday night, the way things a re shaping up.

Serious question we were debating today on chat

Would you rather play 3 Best 22 players that are restricted fitness wise or 3 fresh borderline best 22 players?

Especially after a 5 day break
Bit of a judgment call, depending on how serious the niggle is and risk of making it worse. Also depends on the borderline player you’re talking about - Carroll and Cuners should be in the mix.

I would prefer 3 best 22 players with restricted fitness to win the game, if possible.

Some of our borderline players may be found wanting and not sure if the senior players who have been out of form over the past few weeks have turned the corner.

If we’re carrying too many out of form or borderline players who are not up to it, we will struggle to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be surprised to see Acres getting up for the game.

Binnsy sure picked a good time to put together a 47 disposal, 3 goal game - even if the opposition were total garbage. Reckon he's in line for another debut :thumbsu:

TDK out for Pitto, Nigel for Kemp. Cunners off the pine into the 22 depending on who else is banged up.

Serious question we were debating today on chat

Would you rather play 3 Best 22 players that are restricted fitness wise or 3 fresh borderline best 22 players?

Especially after a 5 day break
Depends who it is. A guy like Acres I feel is incredibly resilient, and we don’t have any cover for him. Whereas someone like Kennedy can be covered for much more easily

There's actually a bit of significance to this one...

In 2022 we were 12-6 with a percentage of 115.5% after round 19...

2 years later and we now sit 12-6 with a percentage of 114.5% after round 19....

Now of course, we all remember how we ended up 2022 losing the last 4 games, but now let's see how we handle this... we're a more mature side with significant finals experience behind us after making it to last year's prelim.

Can't keep relying on other teams to do us favours like they have the last couple rounds. We'll be fielding a pretty strong side this week...

Defensively, we've been a mess, Port will punish us if we have lapses where our pressure rating drops to below standard.

Expecting to see a more clinical approach to these last rounds of the season, we've had a shaky few weeks, hopefully the cobwebs are cleared and we're focused on the task at hand. Port turn to shit when the pressure is turned on and that's what we're going to have to do.
Also one more game this year than 2022 with gather round making it a 23 game H&A season. Realistically we should win at minimum 2 of our final 5 (most likely Eagles and Saints make 2 of those) which should be enough to make finals in some capacity. It's winning 3-4 of 5 that is most important to maintain a top 4 chance (4-5 wins for top 2).

Yes, true about that. Could not believe how well Norf played, of course they did kick plenty of goals from out of their a-holes. Now understanding how many of ours carried niggles into that game and then how many were smashed up by Clarkos rough tactics. Outcome is we did do very well in the circumstances to win as well as we did.
North did play well, but we let them in in H1 with little pressure....

(And Clarko's a top line c word...)

I’m tired of Ollie butchering it - we just can’t afford those turnovers game after game. He didn’t have a great game.

Some good defensive efforts undone by terrible skill errors.

Agree on Hewy - he was great last week, just a solid decision maker.

Agree on the other ins. Given we are supposedly so beaten up, good timing for these returns.

I’d prefer Cerra on the wing than Walsh.
Cerra can not run to afl wing standard. He would be torched.

Gov is a massive in for us, he's one of our main rebounding defenders. We have lost Docherty and Williams from the backline who at their best are real weapons from behind the ball. Cowan is a good youngster but hasn't stepped up as a two way running attacking defender. I think if Wilson had not missed a couple of games he would be considered for selection. IMO he will be a better player at AFL level than VFL. Boyd has stepped up this season but again, did not play last week. Newman has gone a little quiet and I think it's because of the outs and his role changing. Kemp can get off the chain a bit but is being played deep a lot more than half back.

If either Saad or McGovern miss, we really notice it. We are currently short 1 top line running defender. Someone who can get off the chain, get 20-30 touches and hurt the opposition.
Boyd had a shocker before he was dropped.

Just made a handful of terrible skill/decision making errors.

Like others, had been drinking too much bath water perhaps?

I think our injuries and lack of depth is our issue in this regard

We just haven't been able to manage or rest players which is vital coming into Finals.

Key players like Walsh Cripps McKay Weitering just haven't been able to get a break
Our own worst enemies. Extra game sense and a touch more polish effort against Adelaide and Pies we'd be most likely now in a better place where we may take the risk for a round or two to rest a few of our keys (e.g. don't fly a full swag over for the Eagles game in perth, or just rest this game against Port and prepare to obliterate Pies the following round for Mr He Played Basketballs 400th). At the moment it's pretty clear we have at least;

• Walsh
  • Harry
  • Charlie
  • Acres
  • Weiters
  • Kennedy

Banged up a bit beyond the norm for this time of year, but pushing through. And then we have a lot of decent relief players constantly falling over - Williams, Gov, Marchbank, Martin... and sucky injuries throughout the year to Cerra, Saad, TDK, and others that have had to be dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back