Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say it’ll be magnet switching to cover Acres than Binns coming in - far too important a game to give a second gamer the responsibility to hold down that important role for the entire game. Cerra/Hollands/Cottrell to make up the wings, with potentially a bit of Walsh but I reckon he’ll be in the thick of it in the middle to battle against Port’s contested mids

Ollie was quite good last week. Missed a goal that he should have kicked and tried to lay it off in the forward 50 which got cut off. Apart from that his use was very good. Can't remember him getting caught.

You have to be honest with yourself, are you just starting with a basic premise (Ollie is not up to it) and then just trying to make points to validate your argument or just going off on tangents with the potential premiership team/developing team thing. Surely we have to develop players as part of the journey to be a premiership contender. To say that we have to be one or the other and that we can't be a premiership contender by developing players like Ollie is plain ludicrous.

I can't imagine Ollie not playing this week
I was at the game last week & he let a couple of howlers go right in front of me - the crowd around us collectively groaned!

Maybe watch the replay again if you care to suffer it.

My thoughts aren’t charged by any preconception - I’m just not so wedded to players that their deficiencies are blankly overlooked.

He’s does run both ways, he does make good defensive efforts, he does miss tackles, he does get caught, he does miss kicks - it’s a pragmatic unemotional view.

Will he improve over time - of course.

Does he make us better- or is there another option?

Ollie will stay in given Blakers’ injury.

I hope he goes well!

Better half is a Port supporter so I get to see plenty of their games. Their best is elite, Blues just need to bring the heat and Port will crumble.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pardon the intrusion, but I chuckled reading this. You're actually spot on, any team that brings the heat against us usually take the points. We're a flaky outfit and the moment the heat is turned up we usually go to water. Fwiw I would've thought a couple weeks ago it would be a drubbing, seems you're carrying some banged up guys and the short turn around might make it closer. Should be a good game.

Speaking to a port friend of mine this week, he made me aware port also were off a 5 day break last time u played and in fact went on about the fact that not only that but they were playing their 3rd game in 10 days when they came up against you and also coming back from tassie the round before. Sound like he was looking for excuses but he was convinced they were the reasons you ran riot in the last qtr last time.
He forgot the main one. We were better than them.

Regardless of injuries I think there would be 2 or 3 changes anyway with McGovern, Kemp and Boyd being available.

I don't think we are overly that poorly off. We have an excess of onballers so we aren't short there. To go with those returning from injuries, Kemp, Binns, Young and Cuningham all have VFL form and Marchbank will likely become available as well so there are players to pick from.

I think we will likely go in like this

McGovern Weitering/Young Newman
Saad Kemp Boyd
Cottrell Cripps Hollands
Hollands Curnow Cuningham
Motlop McKay Owies
Pittonet Walsh Hewett
Cincotta Kennedy Fogarty Cerra
Carroll
Marchbank Binns Cowan
Reserve: Fantasia, Martin, Wilson, Lord

IN: McGovern Pittonet Boyd Cuningham Young?

OUT: Acres TDK Durdin Cowan Weitering?

I think Cincotta should be the one to go back. Cerra to spend time forward. Cottrell mostly wing with E Hollands and Cuningham spending time on the wings as well. I think Binns may miss out despite having a huge game.

Assuming Weitering may miss (guess he is one of the sore players) then Young will get a gig. He's ok playing fullback, I think we can rely on him to fill a spot for a week.

I would still expect this side to win this game. We have won with worse sides, there is enough quality there.

We're on a 5 day break playing back-to-back at the same venue.

They're on a 6 day break and they have to travel.

There is no excuse for us to lose this game.
On their day they're a very dangerous team. JHF, Butters, Rozee, Wines, Boak, Houston, Alir, Georgiades, Rioli are all very good players. If Dixon, Finlayson, Ratugolea, Marshall, Jones etc all have games close to their best as well then we're in for a serious, brutal game of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On their day they're a very dangerous team. JHF, Butters, Rozee, Wines, Boak, Houston, Alir, Georgiades, Rioli are all very good players. If Dixon, Finlayson, Ratugolea, Marshall, Jones etc all have games close to their best as well then we're in for a serious, brutal game of football.
They have some good on ballers. Finlayson is out for the season, Marshall supposedly out. Ratugolea is big but bog average, Jones is medium size but bog average. Charlie has been a shell of his former self but went all right last week. Stating the obvious but if we beat them on ball, we win.

coaches.....

'back 6 or 7 has been really settled and cohesive recently'

Aren't Newman Saad and weiters the only constants there over the last few weeks.... Everything else has been constant turnover. Kemp gov marchy durdin cerra Kennedy Boyd Cowan etc. .-.

Am actually hoping they settle the back 6 before finals if injury permits it!!

It's our turn to have the grinding 3 games in 10 days period, so just taking the 4 points and moving on is a win, regardless of how it looks or what the margin is.

One thing is for sure, though, is if we have a qtr like we did last week Port Power will put 50 on us in that time and the game will be over. We got away with it against North but we won't v Power. At the very least pressure effort is a must, regardless of how the rest looks.

Marshall has been ruled out for Port
winning charlie sheen GIF

I’d say it’ll be magnet switching to cover Acres than Binns coming in - far too important a game to give a second gamer the responsibility to hold down that important role for the entire game. Cerra/Hollands/Cottrell to make up the wings, with potentially a bit of Walsh but I reckon he’ll be in the thick of it in the middle to battle against Port’s contested mids

I'd be surprised if Carroll & Binns are featured in the same team this year or next.

Personally, I'd be applying the above logic to Carroll too and omitting him, or sub.

Elijah could take a few midfield minutes.

Creates a spot for Martin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back