Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he? Why
For the reasons I mentioned in my post.

If we bring Cunners and Martin into the 22, we'll potentially have those two plus Elijah rotating through half forward.

Cotters moves upfield to a more traditional wing role - which he's played the majority of his career. He currently plays a 'high half forward' role, so there's four fifth's of **** all difference anyway....

If we bring Cunners and Martin into the 22, we'll potentially have those two plus Elijah rotating through half forward.

Cotters moves upfield to a more traditional wing role - which he's played the majority of his career. He currently plays a 'high half forward' role, so there's four fifth's of **** all difference anyway....
His return to form last week actually involved him spending a lot of time on the wing anyway. He'll be fine there but probably require the half backs/ half forwards on that side to rotate through a touch.

1721882554187.png

He is NO good as a wingman and has NOT played the majority of his career there. Big difference between defensive HF and wing. Never worked and gets lost

He is NO good as a wingman and has NOT played the majority of his career there. Big difference between defensive HF and wing. Never worked and gets lost

You're obviously strong on Cottrell not playing the wing role - fair enough but who do you propose we could plug in that position and do a job whilst Acres is out?

Spot on, Cottrell has played many a game on a wing and has shown he can play the defensive or attacking wing role

You're obviously strong on Cottrell not playing the wing role - fair enough but who do you propose we could plug in that position and do a job whilst Acres is out?

Kemp Binns Hollands Hollands Cincotta Walsh Cerra and/or Carroll

Play Cottrell defensive HF on Houston

My comments are based on history. Nothing more, nothing less. If someones wants to show me a good game he played on the wing I am happy to see it

Last edited:
When was the last time he played wing?

Just because you believe it hasn't worked in the past is not to say it can't work in the future.

While it is a different role it is not that different. He has the attributes to play on the wing

McGovern and kemp or Marchbank are the vital ones … allows cerra and kennedy to go up field
Boyd is replaceable
Binns for acres
Pitto for tdk
still have cunners and Martin so our depth is decent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time he played wing?

Just because you believe it hasn't worked in the past is not to say it can't work in the future.

While it is a different role it is not that different. He has the attributes to play on the wing

Holland was dropped/rested earlier in season and Cottrell played wing and struggled. Abandoned by coaches very quickly

I agree he does have the attributes but has NEVER stood up in that role

Holland was dropped/rested earlier in season and Cottrell played wing and struggled. Abandoned by coaches very quickly

Hollands has struggled in plenty of games. Lucky we haven't given up on him. Pies game wasn't a good performance by plenty of players.

Hollands has struggled in plenty of games. Lucky we haven't given up on him. Pies game wasn't a good performance by plenty of players.

Your comparing a young player to a mature player? Also, Hollands positioning is very good. He just needs to get stronger and he already averages more disposals, tackles etc than Cottrell

I would love Cottrell to prove me wrong (as he does have the attributes) but the evidence suggests different

Pretty sure he played wing in the second half after Acres went down. Small sample size but had 7 disposals in the last and was one of our better players.

I would like to see Kemp played in a smaller role. Think he would slot into Cowan's spot pretty well. We aren't utilising his attacking flair, ability to find the ball and two way run by playing him in a key position all the time. We seem to have forgotten that he has played his best footy as a medium defender.

Weitering to full back, if he is out then Kemp comes in. Marchbank can come in and play CHB if needed. McGovern can play as a third tall or in a smaller role as well.

Depends how well we match up on them but there are a number of combinations that work for us. I don't particularly want to see us playing midfielders in the backline. I've never liked Kennedy or Cerra playing as defenders. I'd rather they play forward or off the bench.

I think our defence has been a bit weak lately. Durdin on one leg last week plus midfielders trying to be defenders wasn't good. Only one notable attacking half back. Our lack of good intercepting defenders and not enough good hard running half backs has also been a weakness. We go back to just Saad as our one dangerous defender, he is going to get a defensive forward and work put into him too often. We become too reliant on just one player and that's really bad for us.

I'd be keen to go with one of the following combinations:

If we think they will be a bit taller I would go with this setup
Newman Weitering McGovern
Boyd Marchbank Saad
Kemp

If they are a bit smaller then this will do

Newman Weitering Kemp
Boyd McGovern Saad
Cincotta

Both McGovern and Kemp can play half back and run both ways, they can also play on smaller opposition.

I'm thinking that we may go with the first option. Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern V Dixon, Georgiadis, Lord. Kemp and McGovern to share that third tall role and a more running role. I think the extra height will be good to have.

If we can bring some midfield pressure we will intercept pretty well with that setup.

Pretty sure he played wing in the second half after Acres went down. Small sample size but had 7 disposals in the last and was one of our better players.

About sums him up. Much like Cuningham. You get a quarter or so that teases and get you excited but the evidence over full games suggest otherwise

As I have said, I am happy for someone to show me any games he has done well as a wingman

Had 19 disposals, 16 pressure acts, Ollie had 17 and 9

You just have to look at Cottrells heat map, plenty of time between the arcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back