Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We carry on and look forward to port.

Meanwhile Vossy looks at the defensive deckchairs he has on offer and then looks over at Austin. Austin pretends he doesnt feel the glare. Hamill just sighs in relief that Vossy isnt glaring at him.

I cant say we simply beat Port because there just isnt the trust. I'll be glued to my seat like everyone else with hope (and popcorn).

Last edited:

Won’t be going to freo. It will be Sydney or Brisbane week 1 if we lose another game
At this time of year. It's far more crucial to be in red hot form(like Swans & Brizzy) than eventual ladder positions.

And we ain't.

Think it's about our lack of pace through the midfield more than anything else, need to really dominate with pressure again to slow down opposition rebound and ball movement.

Our defence and ruck choice issues are secondary to these issues.

TDK out Pitto in. Give Tom 2-3 weeks to get completely right while Pitto shoulders the load and bring him in for WCE to give him a run in to finals. Too important for us to have him banged up badly going into September.
I honestly think that's what we've been doing over the last four weeks: giving players who need it a break when they need it.

What that break looks like differs between players. Kemp and Boyd get second 22 footy. Weitering gets the second forward, Walsh couldn't be switched off if he tried so he gets a different less physical role, Cripps takes a back seat and Hewitt gets to be the main inside mid. Gov, Cerra, Williams get time off for injury plus some to ensure they're not falling apart as perrenially injured players do. Acres getting subbed due to injury concerns.

The whole team plays as though switched off a bit, because the output is down across the board. Players playing outside of their best roles or not playing brings the sum of the whole down.

Last year, we fell into a heap come finals. We could not kick above 75 points after Harry went down against Collingwood in H&A, and from that point it was dour and organised defense winning us games. Discipline. The wheels had already fallen off, because you need more than that in finals if you're going to win interstate.

One thing that can be said of this coaching setup is that it's responsive. We fell agonisingly short in 2022 with a gameplan overreliant on the contest; last year, we spent the entire first 12 rounds experimenting with player combinations and setups out of D50 to find the best transition players.

No disrespect to Sam Durdin, but ain't no way he's selected ahead of Kemp or Young without a reason.

I think there's a fair chance the coaches are concerned about falling in a heap again, and they're doing something about it.

Hoping Gov & Boyd back this week. Sounds like they will be.

Ollie’s confidence in disposal is shot - he could use a couple of weeks in the 2’s.

Bins for Ollie as others have suggested.

Williams was running last week in training, they may choose to hold him back another week.

If Sherif doesn’t get up - Cerra to the wing / changing mid with Walsh.

Watching from behind the goals yesterday, Cerra was pathetic, Durdin's not good enough but we have nothing else. Bit worrying with Walsh playing sore/injured, same with TDK. As a team we were shocking, full credit to North they are going to be a good team, we are too slow and one paced. Have noticed the quick teams like the Dogs, Adelaide, GWS have beaten us, Hawk's are going to run us off our feet at the G.

We are struggling with consistency of effort and structure.
Almost like we are plugging holes … and creating some through selection.
Surely there’s consensus over best 20/23 by now? We just need them all fit which is easier said that achieved.

Boyd Weitering Marchbank
Newman McGovern Saad
Acres Cripps Walsh
E Hollands Curnow Fogarty
Martin McKay Williams
TDK Cerra Hewett
Int: Kennedy Motlop Cincotta Cottrell Owies
Next: O Hollands Carroll Kemp Cuningham Pittonet Cowan

Only change for me is Cunners for Kennedy! I like the extra speed for the Swans and Lions…

Given this seems to be the “talk about other teams” thread, I will say that I think Brisbane is a chance to lose to Gold Coast at Carrara this week.

Otherwise, my view is that we bring in Pittonet for TDK. And I know he is playing like a donkey at the moment, but if his fitness is up to it, I’d bring Cerra back into the midfield. He is a good player, and he will find form again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TDK out Pitto in. Give Tom 2-3 weeks to get completely right while Pitto shoulders the load and bring him in for WCE to give him a run in to finals. Too important for us to have him banged up badly going into September.

Cerra better in the 2nd half but needs to find his touch again. Too fumbly and not attacking contests like we know he can.

Walsh sore back again according to Voss is a major concern. Hopefully he's fine but do not risk him under any circumstances if he's 50/50.
There are five interstate teams in the top 8, our finishing position is going to be so important.
TDK won't be rested for 2-3 weeks, if we fall below 2nd good chance we play minimum of our 1st final interstate.

Maybe gws can get them at the Gabba or Collingwood at the G. Saints,Gold Coast and Essendon won’t beat them
Gold Coast at home are undefeated, not an easy game at all.

As we've seen with Sydney, it's hard to stay on top of your game for months on end. A lot of footy left to be played.

There are five interstate teams in the top 8, our finishing position is going to be so important.
TDK won't be rested for 2-3 weeks, if we fall below 2nd good chance we play minimum of our 1st final interstate.
TDK went off about 6 times yesterday. Badly banged up.

Pitto is a perfectly capable solo ruck, just let TDK get his body right imo.

Pre-finals bye is the time to rest. At worst 1-2 players a game sore to a level of soreness above normal this time of year should be rested. Every team around us will also be sore come finals fighting for 2nd spot as well (and top 4). At the moment we have a slight grasp on 2nd whilst we keep winning. We may be lucky and have secured it officially the final round (like last year we secured 5th) so can rest or switch off against the Saints (oh god to give them a win just because we're 'resting').

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back