Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts on giving Lemmy a crack in the backline.

No chance. He’s miles off playing league football in any position. The coaches will play Surdin or Young before Lemney.

The reality is we will need to get by this year with either Marchy or Kemp partnering Weiters and Gov down back.

At the end of the year we need to target a ready made key defender and maybe also try and draft one as well.

It seems our team are more susceptible to the physical stuff. Would be nice if our team could inflict some hurt on the oppo.
We've inflicted plenty over the Voss era. Difference is every team is trying to flog us now days even the minnows whose seasons are over.

Voss already alluded to their being some dodgy stuff going on vs Weitering last week in terms of deliberate hits to his back etc.

We've inflicted plenty over the Voss era. Difference is every team is trying to flog us now days even the minnows whose seasons are over.

The opposition has realised we only beat teams up when the ball drops on the inside at clearance.

So now they get the footy to the outside at every opportunity and just run away from our one-paced midfield brigade.

LDU isn't even fast but he looked like Usain Bolt against us.

Going to be an interesting week for selection TDK, Acres, Durdin, Kennedy, Walsh and Harry all came off for knocks at various stages with a 5 day break.

Hopefully Gov and Boyd are available.
Pitto is ready to cover TDK and Binns after his VFL performance will be ready to cover Acres.
Cuningham will be fresh as the sub. At least we have some options if required.

Voss already alluded to their being some dodgy stuff going on vs Weitering last week in terms of deliberate hits to his back etc.
Yeah, but it feels like we only try to inflict it against teams that are considered 'better' than us. Whereas against 'lesser' opponents we try to outclass them. We should be trying to bully every team which would discourage them from trying it on against us. It's putting some of our top players at risk. Too many blokes coming off the ground sore or going down to the rooms lately for mine. The competition will notice this and try to exploit it.

I'm not sure the experimentation has served us well in the last 3 weeks.. but we do need to determine who is going to be playing come September.

Cunningham is a decent footballer, but I can't imagine a world where he would ever with a Norm Smith.

Jack Martin on the other hand I've been predicting would win one for the last 2 years. We just need to get him there.

Yeah, but it feels like we only try to inflict it against teams that are considered 'better' than us. Whereas against 'lesser' opponents we try to outclass them. We should be trying to bully every team which would discourage them from trying it on against us. It's putting some of our top players at risk. Too many blokes coming off the ground sore or going down to the rooms lately for mine. The competition will notice this and try to exploit it.
Playing battering and bruising footy like we did vs Geelong takes its toll too. Reality is we'll have games where we're the hunters and games where we're the hunted. Yesterday was one of those days you just hope there was no long term concerns and take the 4 points and run.

A good post on the Hawks board re our game vs North was "The Blues/North game brings back memories of being a top 4 side, and having these annoying games at Marvel against bottom 8 sides like North etc on the run home that bring you down to their level and make it a bit of a scrap, but you have to somehow rise above it to just get it done"

Exactly how I saw it. Players didn't want to be there, clearly with an eye on playing finals already and North threw everything they had us while we were disinterested for the first half.

The opposition has realised we only beat teams up when the ball drops on the inside at clearance.

So now they get the footy to the outside at every opportunity and just run away from our one-paced midfield brigade.

LDU isn't even fast but he looked like Usain Bolt against us.
Ldu is pretty fast to be fair. But yes, Adelaide have been exploiting that for a couple of years now despite being shite. That's why I get concerned re our mix of mids vs certain finals teams. If we had 1 or 2 more pacey types rather than just Walsh (who's looking fairly banged up as is) we'd be fair less prone to getting burnt once the ball reached the outside from stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be an interesting week for selection TDK, Acres, Durdin, Kennedy, Walsh and Harry all came off for knocks at various stages with a 5 day break.

Hopefully Gov and Boyd are available.
Pitto is ready to cover TDK and Binns after his VFL performance will be ready to cover Acres.
TDK - rest him for 2 weeks to get him cherry ripe and bring in Pitto
Acres - a huge loss if he's out given how important he is for our structure. Not a good kick and not a speedster, but he's otherwise elite in every other aspect. Could try Binns if Acres needs a rest?
Durdin - straight out for McGovern
Kennedy - think he'll be fine, but probably helps our structure if we can not play one of Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra.
Walsh - would be a massive loss, but he's too important to risk. hope his back is 100% ok
Harry - completely fine IMO

There's a few blokes playing like they're in preservation mode...

Cerra comes to mind, kid has been hit with his injury troubles and just looks shot of confidence. He's a shell of the player that was tearing the filth to pieces last year. Now he's taking backward steps, not committing his body and even getting the pill ripped out of his hands. Thought he got a bit better as the game went on, but no doubt he's really lacking at the moment.

Cottrell I thought had a better game but still it wasn't anything to celebrate. He's slow to dispose of the ball and it puts us under pressure.

Durdin I have no doubt was a trial, see what he's got. Yeah, not impressed... he did get injured as well but that's another problem anyway.

KPD has been an area we have been lacking ever since SOS left. I really hope the mentality of "turning a failed key forward into a solid KPD" isn't true... anyway it is what it is for this season, perhaps we could try Pitto as ruck and TDK as another KPD? Gov and Kemp are both important players, hope they're back for this one. But when teams go tall against us we really start to struggle to defend in the air. There's a major reliance on team defence and when the pressure rating is hovering as low as 120... no chance...

Cowan has been struggling... with youngsters expect inconsistency, it's normal he will be a ripper, but maybe time for a break.

Cincotta has also been struggling...

OUT: S.Durdin, Cowan, Cunners
IN: Kemp, Gov, Boyd

Pretty early, we'll know more about our injuries tomorrow. If Acres doesn't get up, we will have to consider Binns but I have my concerns that AFL level is going to expose him a bit at this stage. Maybe time to consider putting Walsh or Cerra on the wing... Pitto for TDK if need be. I expect Walsh and Harry to be fine.

Dixon who looked baked, done and dusted in our last meeting with them is back in some form and dangerous. Rozee Cheeks (Vegemite), Can't believe it's not, and Horny are a formidable midfield and that's not factoring decent output from Wines and Boak.

Port beat us they may be in the 4 end of the round, lose could be out of the 8 in this crazy season. Complacency is not an option for any team from 2 - 13th who are all still in the mix for finals. Sydney is the only lock of playing finals with 14 wins (as 13 is my estimate of the minimum wins required + %). We win, we get our 13th win and at least may have locked in a finals berth but we must, we must, we must, we must, cling onto 2nd, because odds are 3rd will be an interstate side and they're also going to have to kill themselves and push to make top 4 so will be banged up as much as we are to get there. Having the home MCG final after a fortnights worth of rest I feel will be the panacea we'll need.

TDK out Pitto in. Give Tom 2-3 weeks to get completely right while Pitto shoulders the load and bring him in for WCE to give him a run in to finals. Too important for us to have him banged up badly going into September.

Cerra better in the 2nd half but needs to find his touch again. Too fumbly and not attacking contests like we know he can.

Walsh sore back again according to Voss is a major concern. Hopefully he's fine but do not risk him under any circumstances if he's 50/50.
i gather Walsh copped a big knee to his back.

Not sure it has anything to do with his earlier back issues...North went out of their way to hurt us, did a pretty good job.

Think it got to us mentally in H1. We showed good maturity in turning the game around in Q3.

TDK early, Walsh, Durdin?, Kennedy, Acres, Saad copped a few, ditto Weiters.

Not like for like in terms of exact playstyle, but you’d think if Binns ever had a chance to to play a game in the seniors it’d be this Friday if Acres misses.

That being said, I could easily see them playing Cunners or Cerra/Cotts in that role too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back