Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutted about Big Tom...... We can't get a break. :mad:
Only positive is that he should come back fresh for the final's fingers crossed.

The two-ruck issue now put to bed at least. :straining:

We have some banged up boys, Walshy's back looks sore, he may need a spell.
Blacres a big concern too.

Friday night will be a big test. Could be a few changes.

Gov for Durdin a no brainer.

Could be Boyd for Cow? Has not been giving much.

Williams has to play, who misses? Be tough on Owies as Jessie not being dropped.

Kemp back in too so surely one midfielder needs to go, has to be Carroll.

Cotters a bit better but still not great. Binns? Cunners only got 20 minutes but did next
to nothing with it.

And then Martin.......Simple for mine. Has to play soon and this week could be it.

Going to be very interesting at selection in a game we need to win to keep top 2.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on Charlie's games recently. Obviously he's still getting the job done. But his efforts to halve a contest have dropped away and his on ground pressure is basically non-existent at the moment.

I remember when I was a teenager and would discuss here about Fev and if he was best 22 and I couldn't understand then why everyone was putting so much pressure on him on here, he was kicking goals after all.

But Charlie's defensive efforts without the ball are pretty limited right now, and looking back now, dare I say, Fev like. At the moment it's sustainable, as we're winning games and utilising pressure from other forwards.

But is his lack of forward 50 pressure one of the reasons he had less of an impact in the finals last year? I think he needs to figure our a way to impact the game more in high-pressure games where the umpires don't want to blow the whistle - i.e Finals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on Charlie's games recently. Obviously he's still getting the job done. But his efforts to halve a contest have dropped away and his on ground pressure is basically non-existent at the moment. I remember when I was a teenager and would discuss here about Fev and if he was best 22 and I couldn't understand then why everyone was putting so much pressure on him on here, he was kicking goals after all. But Charlie's defensive efforts without the ball are pretty limited right now, and dare I say, Fev like. At the moment it's sustainable, as we're winning games and utilising pressure from other forwards. But is his lack of forward 50 pressure one of the reasons he had less of an impact in the finals last year? I think he needs to figure our a way to impact the game more in high-pressure games where the umpires don't want to blow the whistle - i.e Finals.
Amazing in the second half when he stopped with the wrestling and made space and ran.

The other thing is our small forwards all collectively being in the same zone. Charlie/Harry don't clunk or spoil, they're all at the front (but ball spills in the back), when ball spills in the front, they're all at the back. Crumbing is something our small forwards really need to work on and synch with the Charlie and Harry a bit more.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on Charlie's games recently. Obviously he's still getting the job done. But his efforts to halve a contest have dropped away and his on ground pressure is basically non-existent at the moment. I remember when I was a teenager and would discuss here about Fev and if he was best 22 and I couldn't understand then why everyone was putting so much pressure on him on here, he was kicking goals after all. But Charlie's defensive efforts without the ball are pretty limited right now, and dare I say, Fev like. At the moment it's sustainable, as we're winning games and utilising pressure from other forwards. But is his lack of forward 50 pressure one of the reasons he had less of an impact in the finals last year? I think he needs to figure our a way to impact the game more in high-pressure games where the umpires don't want to blow the whistle - i.e Finals.
He's looked much better in that regard the last fortnight. Think he's played sore most of the season. Starting to move much more like the Charlie of 2023, just in time for finals.

Think his confidence is not quite there yet but trending in the right direction.

Not sure if Carlton fans are ****ing serious or not.

The guy is on his way to his third Coleman. He gets double teamed and rag dolled every week.

Get a real problem. Leave the campaigner alone. Seriously enough of the Charlie shit. He’s the best forward in the afl. For the third year running.

Enough.

Yeah he is, but some of his efforts are putrid.

And ffs, can he just stop playing on at the first opportunity when kicking for goal. What is his problem with taking some time to compose himself?
I get it when he’s 70 out, but not inside 50.
It does not allow our team defence to setup, I don’t think it actually helps him at all..he’ll still get his space to run around and snap the ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SAAD - DURDIN - NEWMAN
BOYD - WEITERING - MCGOVERN

OLLIE - CRIPPS - WALSH
PITTO - HEWETT - CERRA

ELIJAH - MCKAY - MARTIN
MOTLOP - CURNOW - OWIES

CINCOTTA - FOGARTY - COTTRELL
CUNINGHAM - KENNEDY (SUB)

IN: MCGOVERN, MARTIN, BOYD, PITTONET.

OUT: TDK (inj), ACRES (managed), COWAN (omitted), CARROLL (omitted)

Move Walsh to a wing and give him a week off from being at the bottom of the pack every contest. Move Cerra back to his more natural role. Five day break so we're gonna need 'runners' - tempted to bring in Binns for Kennedy given his tank & current form.

Feel like we've got to give Cuningham a full game with the fresh legs.

Talk is Marshall will play which has a Port forward line looking like: Marshall & the in-form Dixon & Georgiades. We're gonna need height in defence so Durdin stays in for the time being. He's a better matchup on the above than Marchbank.

Last edited:
SAAD - DURDIN - NEWMAN
BOYD - WEITERING - MCGOVERN

OLLIE - CRIPPS - WALSH
PITTO - HEWETT - CERRA

ELIJAH - MCKAY - MARTIN
MOTLOP - CURNOW - OWIES

CINCOTTA - FOGARTY - COTTRELL
CUNINGHAM - KENNEDY (SUB)

IN: MCGOVERN, MARTIN, BOYD, PITTONET.

OUT: TDK (inj), ACRES (managed), COWAN (omitted), CARROLL (omitted)

Swap Durdin with Kemp and I'd agree.

I'd accept Marchbank too, but not as happily.

Just not Durdin.

C
I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on Charlie's games recently. Obviously he's still getting the job done. But his efforts to halve a contest have dropped away and his on ground pressure is basically non-existent at the moment. I remember when I was a teenager and would discuss here about Fev and if he was best 22 and I couldn't understand then why everyone was putting so much pressure on him on here, he was kicking goals after all. But Charlie's defensive efforts without the ball are pretty limited right now, and looking back now, dare I say, Fev like. At the moment it's sustainable, as we're winning games and utilising pressure from other forwards. But is his lack of forward 50 pressure one of the reasons he had less of an impact in the finals last year? I think he needs to figure our a way to impact the game more in high-pressure games where the umpires don't want to blow the whistle - i.e Finals.
Curnow won us the game yesterday. He tackled and leads the coleman. You are looking down the wrong rabbit hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back