Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on Charlie's games recently. Obviously he's still getting the job done. But his efforts to halve a contest have dropped away and his on ground pressure is basically non-existent at the moment.

I remember when I was a teenager and would discuss here about Fev and if he was best 22 and I couldn't understand then why everyone was putting so much pressure on him on here, he was kicking goals after all.

But Charlie's defensive efforts without the ball are pretty limited right now, and looking back now, dare I say, Fev like. At the moment it's sustainable, as we're winning games and utilising pressure from other forwards.

But is his lack of forward 50 pressure one of the reasons he had less of an impact in the finals last year? I think he needs to figure our a way to impact the game more in high-pressure games where the umpires don't want to blow the whistle - i.e Finals.

Charlie is top 15 in the comp for tackles inside 50 for a key forward with 13 for the season.

You want to know who #1 is? Mabior Chol with 30...

Charlie has kicked twice as many goals as Chol and has had 137 score involvements compared to Chol's 78...

Jesse Hogan has laid 7 more i50 tackles than Charlie, but Charlie has had 40 more pressure acts with 137...

Not saying he's been great defensively, but as a key forward, he's been more solid than you would think and offensively he's #1.

Charlie is top 15 in the comp for tackles inside 50 for a key forward with 13 for the season.

You want to know who #1 is? Mabior Chol with 30...

Charlie has kicked twice as many goals as Chol and has had 137 score involvements compared to Chol's 78...

Jesse Hogan has laid 7 more i50 tackles than Charlie, but Charlie has had 40 more pressure acts with 137...

Not saying he's been great defensively, but as a key forward, he's been more solid than you would think and offensively he's #1.
Don't get me wrong, I love Charlie and think he's the best key forward in the comp.

I'd just like to see him put in a few more second efforts when he's getting beaten up a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I love Charlie and think he's the best key forward in the comp.

I'd just like to see him put in a few more second efforts when he's getting beaten up a bit.
If you haven't watched it yet, Saba's recent video on Charlie might interest you.

If I was to be picky with him, I'd want him to stop trying to push his opponent under the ball, it's just not working for him.

He just seems more content to try and wrestle with a key defender than use his athleticism to his advantage.

The other slight knock I have is his accuracy has seemed to have dipped.

But the pressure off the ball, while ideally, I agree he could apply more, I'd expect that more from the smaller forwards. When we had Durdin and Fanta up there doing sfa in that area, we looked a lot worse.

Essendon played last Friday and the Saints on Saturday. They are scheduled to play at Marvel next Saturday with 8 and 7 day breaks respectively.

We played yesterday and have to front up after a 5 day break on Friday.

Any reason why the AFL ****wits didn’t schedule our game for Sat, and the Saints/Dons game on the Friday for a fairer break between games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Essendon played last Friday and the Saints on Saturday. They are scheduled to play at Marvel next Saturday with 8 and 7 day breaks respectively.

Any reason why the AFL ****wits didn’t schedule our game for Sat, and the Saints/Dons game on the Friday for a fairer break between games?
North aren’t going to get a Friday night game
WC bitch about travel so aren’t going to get the late sunday game away

Anyone know how/when it happened - did he get kneed to the rib cage?
It was front on contact with arms/chests involved, but seemed fairly minor despite him grabbing for his rib cage. Not sure the puncturing really happened during the game.
Martin/Binns/Kemp/Gov/Boyd/Cunners/Lord are adequate replacements for any players that are sore.
I'd replace Lord and Binns with Marchbank and Wilson. Lord is still too much like Bentick for mine, and Binns just doesn't show top speed often enough.

He'd never get away with most of his possessions and disposals at AFL level, and he needs to learn that quickly.

Any reason why the AFL fcukwits didn’t schedule our game for Sat, and the Saints/Dons game on the Friday for a fairer break between games?
Who knows. With dumb and dumber at the helm they have no idea. Don't forget this was scheduled recently as part of the floating fixture. You'd think they would look at when both clubs last played before scheduling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gamble responsibly.

How we are $1.48 for this game with so called more injuries coming is mind boggling.

Once again gamble responsibly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Port's form since playing us last time:
R12 Blues Adelaide Loss 71-107
R14 Giants ENGIE Loss 51-73
R15 Lions Adelaide Loss 73-152
R16 Saints Marvel Win 62-60
R17 Bulldogs Adelaide Win 102-54
R18 Suns People Loss 82-96
R19 Tigers Adelaide Win 116-75

Our form:
R12 Power Adelaide Win 107-71
R13 Bombers MCG Win 96-70
R15 Cats MCG Win 138-75
R16 Tigers MCG Win 131-70
R17 Giants ENGIE Loss 104-116
R18 Bulldogs Marvel Loss 86-100
R19 Kangaroos Marvel Win 107-88

We're playing at Marvel, and I think we match them OK. I am expecting a win...

If acres misses then I can’t see Ollie getting omitted - that’s a for bit of gut running going out and not sure Binnsy will get the gig in the circumstances
I'm. Worried about Walsh missing. Got knees and elbowed in the back multiple times.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why does nobody want Carroll out? He was awful, he doesn’t work hard enough defensively yet

Amazing in attack but 17 touches, one clearance from 15 CBA’s is not good enough (again, yet - I like him)

Binns deserves a crack, even off of half back - Cerra looks out of sorts on half back

I agree. Whilst he has definitely improved this year as evidenced by his reserves performances where he is dominant, at the higher level IMO Carroll doesn’t really add anything of note and is well behind MK, Cerra and Hewett in the pecking order.

The MC clearly decided Mk and Cerra would play out of position to compensate for the unavailability of small and medium defenders so if any of those guys come back in Carroll will be the one to make way to allow them to play their usual roles.

If Binns is going to debut he should be given the best chance to succeed and play in his natural position on the wing. It’s not fair to ask someone to debut in an unfamiliar role. I doubt he comes in unless Acres misses through injury.

Gamble responsibly.

How we are $1.48 for this game with so called more injuries coming is mind boggling.

I take some hope with that, bookies don’t give money away and they have eyes and ears everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I honestly think that's what we've been doing over the last four weeks: giving players who need it a break when they need it.

What that break looks like differs between players. Kemp and Boyd get second 22 footy. Weitering gets the second forward, Walsh couldn't be switched off if he tried so he gets a different less physical role, Cripps takes a back seat and Hewitt gets to be the main inside mid. Gov, Cerra, Williams get time off for injury plus some to ensure they're not falling apart as perrenially injured players do. Acres getting subbed due to injury concerns.

The whole team plays as though switched off a bit, because the output is down across the board. Players playing outside of their best roles or not playing brings the sum of the whole down.

Last year, we fell into a heap come finals. We could not kick above 75 points after Harry went down against Collingwood in H&A, and from that point it was dour and organised defense winning us games. Discipline. The wheels had already fallen off, because you need more than that in finals if you're going to win interstate.

One thing that can be said of this coaching setup is that it's responsive. We fell agonisingly short in 2022 with a gameplan overreliant on the contest; last year, we spent the entire first 12 rounds experimenting with player combinations and setups out of D50 to find the best transition players.

No disrespect to Sam Durdin, but ain't no way he's selected ahead of Kemp or Young without a reason.

I think there's a fair chance the coaches are concerned about falling in a heap again, and they're doing something about it.
Suspect there is some truth to that.

To add to your observations, I remember earlier in the year Voss said in as many words that they were rotating the sub role (mostly through small forwards at the time) to keep people fresh. It wouldn't surprise me if the recent choices of Kennedy and Owies as sub were done on the same basis.

Gamble responsibly.

Well, we pretty much flogged them over on their home deck. They've been pretty up and down since. We're at home and have key forwards that they struggled with last time. Some of our boys might be sore but in reality we should have them covered, especially if Mitch and Jordan Boyd are good to go which Voss has stated they will be. Just hoping that a few of the battered and bruised come up O.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back