Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just doesn't work that way

Most players within every side are role players, they generally look poor in loss and adequate/good in a win

Think about the alternatives at the lower levels to replace the guys you mentioned
Actually it is as simple as that often.

vs GWS, the Cotters in (7 touches, 1 tackle), Hewett out decision likely cost us that game.

(of course I could also bang on about the ongoing selection integrity issues around Ollie Hollands and Fantasia)

Most players within every side are role players, they generally look poor in loss and adequate/good in a win

Think about the alternatives at the lower levels to replace the guys you mentioned
Yep. What's lost is that the roles are rarely performed in isolation. Almost impossible for a small forward to apply pressure if there are free outlets everywhere. Hence why connection's become a bit of a buzz word in footy.

I think that was mainly 2 nd and last quarters when we had injuries. First .and 3rd quarters we played good football
Yes, true about that. Could not believe how well Norf played, of course they did kick plenty of goals from out of their a-holes. Now understanding how many of ours carried niggles into that game and then how many were smashed up by Clarkos rough tactics. Outcome is we did do very well in the circumstances to win as well as we did.

I do laugh at all of the posters who for weeks wanted Fantasia (who was playing Cottrells role) out and are now not happy, having gotten what they wanted, because cottrell was put back into the team too quickly.

How many other teams are resting key players, particularly when they need wins to cement finals spot? I haven't seen any.

vs GWS, the Cotters in (7 touches, 1 tackle), Hewett out decision likely cost us that game.

(of course I could also bang on about the ongoing selection integrity issues around Ollie Hollands and Fantasia)
Did Cottrell play on ball that day replacing Hewett?

Or did he replace Fantasia at defensive high half forward that week who so many on here kept telling us that he must have had incriminating photos of Vossy and was averaging under 10 touches a game?

I find it amusing, when posters claim selection integrity, calling for a certain player to come into the side, then the same posters wanting that same player as an out

But tell me, which player did you want to play Cerra's role on the weekend at HB?

I do laugh at all of the posters who for weeks wanted Fantasia (who was playing Cottrells role) out and are now not happy, having gotten what they wanted, because cottrell was put back into the team too quickly.

How many other teams are resting key players, particularly when they need wins to cement finals spot? I haven't seen any.

It's actually bizarre, but extremely common

Cottrell was good on Sunday and will probably go up a notch on Friday.

I'm a critic of OF being put straight into the 22 on a lot of weeks. Got humbled when he kicked 4 against the tigers, but he's not the long term solution; stop-gap/super sub imo.

Especially now since Motlop is back. Hard to see OF take Motlop's spot after 3 goal performance on Sunday.

Cottrell was good on Sunday and will probably go up a notch on Friday.

I'm a critic of OF being put straight into the 22 on a lot of weeks. Got humbled when he kicked 4 against the tigers, but he's not the long term solution; stop-gap/super sub imo.

Especially now since Motlop is back. Hard to see OF take Motlop's spot after 3 goal performance on Sunday.
That was one the best game Cottrell has played for us. Hopefully he can reproduce more often but I seriously have doubts going on past history.

Given that most teams will be carrying sore players, let's talk about who is not sore.

Motlop has just come back and is playing well, Cotts is improving, Cerra is gradually getting back to being fully fit, Gov is back into the side after a couple of weeks off, and Kemp's had a little break too... oh and Pitto will be fresh too. So it's not all bad!

I find it amusing, when posters claim selection integrity, calling for a certain player to come into the side, then the same posters wanting that same player as an out

But tell me, which player did you want to play Cerra's role on the weekend at HB?

I would have played Cincotta across half back and made Cottrell play the defensive forward role and/or Cerra play the run with role. That just me though.

Need some fresh legs and a bit of lateral thinking this week. The side needs a spark

Ins will hopefully be McGovern Boyd Williams Kemp Pittonet Martin Binns. I would seriously consider Lord

Play Cuningham or Cottrell off HB where they can run straight and tag Houston

Cincotta on ball

8 changes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norfs have been allowed to take out TDK from the season and back, knee and stomp their way through half the list - without a mention from anyone.

I think Voss is taking the pizz if he thinks being hard at the contest doesn't include players looking after each other.

My one criticism stands on Carlton - need far far more mongrel and an ability to dial it up as required.

Port and then the feral toofles ones - big games to set up the season or not. I'd rather go out taking some heads than lie down and cop it with a whimper.

Would get Martin back in as a priority.

If he breaks, he breaks... hopefully he won't.

Port will have Junior and Rozee fit and playing well.

As (many) others have said:

1. Walsh to a wing - let's look after him a bit and use his running ability to best advantage.
2. Cerra back in the guts (and HFF). Swaps with E. Hollands (who needs to rediscover some form).
3. Kemp and Guv back in.
4. Cinc as a stopper.
5. Boyd/Cowan on Junior - is that feasible?
6. Great forward six mix of CC, Big H, Martin, Motlop, Owies and Hollands/Cerra/Cripps.
7. If Acres is out, Binns in. Frankly, on form, Binns should be in for O. Hollands in any event.
8. Kennedy mostly in the guts - to counter Boak, Wines.

Would love to see Cuners get a full game.

Carroll was ok, but hardly deserving of a spot ahead of Kennedy or Hewett.

Watched H2 North game again last night, Kennedy was good down back, a cool head, but he's wasted there.... smart footballer.

I'd put O. Hollands as sub, play Cuners.

Thought Cotters started to show form on the weekend, hope that continues....
Looks good. Martin would be a question mark for me but it might be worth the gamble. Love Walsh to wing. I think Cuners is gone so would keep ollie.

I really feel Cotters only shows up when we win and is invisible when we lose so im mehe on him. I have no proof on that though.

Most players around the league would be sore, this time of the year, and all clubs don't have luxury of resting vital cogs such as Weitering types, it's a fallacy

Tough to do, not impossible, Geelong did it 2 years ago. Banked the wins and rested players when they needed it, they were cherry ripe come finals

Tough to do, not impossible, Geelong did it 2 years ago. Banked the wins and rested players when they needed it, they were cherry ripe come finals

Older players but true

Guys like McCartin and Melican would likely be sore this time of tge year, could you really see either being rested for Francis or Hamling?

I guess one of them will have to come in for Rampe this week

Norfs have been allowed to take out TDK from the season and back, knee and stomp their way through half the list - without a mention from anyone.

I think Voss is taking the pizz if he thinks being hard at the contest doesn't include players looking after each other.

My one criticism stands on Carlton - need far far more mongrel and an ability to dial it up as required.

Port and then the feral toofles ones - big games to set up the season or not. I'd rather go out taking some heads than lie down and cop it with a whimper.

Aside from a KPDer and a mid with speed; this is the last element Carlton need. They simply need a harder profile.

It isnt solely mongrel though. It is playing matches as favourites and turning gunshy.

They need mongrel but slightly more mental toughness as well.

I think Ollie was very good last week, best game in a long time so he needs
to stay for sure IMO.

Georgie Hewitt should never be dropped again. Have serious doubts whether we would have got over Kangas
without him.... Was so instrumental.

Cotters has been lucky to hold his spot but showed a bit last week. Hope he can go on with it.

Kemp for Durdin, Gov for Cowan, Pitto for TDK , Boyd for Carroll. (allows Cerra back in mid)

Also don't agree with the Walsh going to the wing talk...... It was V Gold Coast last year when he moved from the wing
back into the guts and it changed everything. If he is not right rest him....If he is, has to be on ball!

Aside from a KPDer and a mid with speed; this is the last element Carlton need. They simply need a harder profile.

It isnt solely mongrel though. It is playing matches as favourites and turning gunshy.

They need mongrel but slightly more mental toughness as well.
There are certain teams that will always try it on - Norfs is one you can bookmark it. Not all teams will allow you to play 'your way' - sometime you have to be able to outplay them in their game way as well. Mongrel IS mostly being smart enough to know when "it" is on and then do maximum damage - smart.

With Norfs for example- a hard rolling tag on LDU is MANDATORY and taking care oh his big buddy ruckman goes with that.

The Cats tried to do it early this year when they were unbeaten. It backfired on them and now they are desperately hanging on.

You have to be very confident about your teams strengths to do it. The Swans haven't tried doing it despite the gap they have on everyone else, and they wont try doing it now that there form has slipped.

We kind of tried it with TDK rested against the Tigers, suspect that McGovern could have played last week apart from the short week. We might have even rested Hewett for a bit. The competition is too tight to mess with form though this year.

There are certain teams that will always try it on - Norfs is one you can bookmark it. Not all teams will allow you to play 'your way' - sometime you have to be able to outplay them in their game way as well. Mongrel IS mostly being smart enough to know when "it" is on and then do maximum damage - smart.

With Norfs for example- a hard rolling tag on LDU is MANDATORY and taking care oh his big buddy ruckman goes with that.

North are one of my top 3 most hated teams based on exactly what you are talking about. It's been going on for 20 years.

It's even why the win felt a little hollow and cheap as they did show us up physically. We are always on the wrong end of physicality with them.

They have the young players and it is still us on the receiving end. Bloody annoying.

Older players but true

Guys like McCartin and Melican would likely be sore this time of tge year, could you really see either being rested for Francis or Hamling?

I guess one of them will have to come in for Rampe this week

As I said, tough to do. Lot of variations and factors involved and plenty of luck.

Scott did it well and had planned it, as they limped into the finals the year before. Of course you need those wins on the board but in looking at 2022, they started the year slowly, so he could have panicked and changed tack.

We have depth now, something we have longed for, but they still need to be challenged to improve which is hard to do in the 2's the way they have been travelling this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back