Preview 2024 Rd 20 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Friday 26th July 7:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preserving players through a tough season while winning games is the next level of professionalism required by AFL clubs. Particularly those aiming for top 4 and a flag.

Clubs just arent professional enough to prepare a back-up player to play a game at the same level of their first choice player. Mostly it would be about mindset of the incoming player.

Young is typically always terrific first up before gradually declining over the following weeks as his mental softness comes to the fore. I dont even think the club are aware of this first up game form. They watch him by week 3/4 and then label him as crap.

The club could easily eke out a good game from Young 3-4 times a season with one game only rather than ostracise him. They just dont recognise the type of player they have got there and how to use him to their benefit.

Young simply needs to be going Def con 5 to warrant the spot. It's why he cant maintain his form as his competitiveness drops off alarmingly.

I would have played Cincotta across half back and made Cottrell play the defensive forward role and/or Cerra play the run with role. That just me though.
The game turned when we moved Cinc off half back and put him inside attacking 50. Cripps said as much himself. Obviously, more changes were made r.e. effort etc, but structurally that was one change. So not sure if D50 is where he's best right now.

I think Ollie was very good last week, best game in a long time so he needs
Really not sure about that. He had a good moment or 2, and another few absolute shockers.

I still have doubts about his attacking skillset, I think he's rather limited in his damage going forward. But I love his run, ability to maintain structure, and his defensive willingness. So he stays imo, I just don't think we can rely on him to be an attacking option at this stage in his development. Cotts & Acres seem to the be options drifing inside 50 most of the time.

I've wondered this all season, but why is it that Harry and Charlie very rarely get uncontested easy marks inside 50? I understand they aren't a regular occurance for any key forward, but for them it seems doubly so.

The likes of Hogan, Hawkins for years, Cameron come to mind as guys who are able to somehow find a few metres of space and have easy marks. It feels like every time Charlie and H try and mark inside 50 they are smashed.

Is it delivery? Gameplan? Workrate? Probably on some level a combination of all, but I'd just love to see a couple of simply chips to easy marks for these guys. Charlie in particular seems to cop a working over every week and gets no freebies at all. Despite oppo fans whinging about free kicks I could easily argue he should be receiving more.

I find it amusing, when posters claim selection integrity, calling for a certain player to come into the side, then the same posters wanting that same player as an out

But tell me, which player did you want to play Cerra's role on the weekend at HB?

It's actually bizarre, but extremely common
I find it astonishing when we played the bulldogs with only three starting mids. Against North we had 6. I guess that should answer your question that the MC got it wrong. Kemp should've played last week in defence. Cerra got outmarked twice by Ford and lacked intensity. If that was Kemp imagine the outcry.

The game turned when we moved Cinc off half back and put him inside attacking 50. Cripps said as much himself. Obviously, more changes were made r.e. effort etc, but structurally that was one change. So not sure if D50 is where he's best right now.

Cincotta does his best work when he plays forward 50 and shuts down the oppositions best half back. Not only does he negate their drive and ball movement but he has the threat of hitting the scoreboard and giving them more to think about. Give him that simple role.. not simple in difficulty but in terms of clarity of role and he thrives.

Send him to Houston this week and stifle the ball movement of the Power. They like bringing it back through the corridor so if we can force the ball into the hands of anyone but Houston we limit the damage and are more likely to force the turnover.

I've wondered this all season, but why is it that Harry and Charlie very rarely get uncontested easy marks inside 50? I understand they aren't a regular occurance for any key forward, but for them it seems doubly so.

The likes of Hogan, Hawkins for years, Cameron come to mind as guys who are able to somehow find a few metres of space and have easy marks. It feels like every time Charlie and H try and mark inside 50 they are smashed.

Is it delivery? Gameplan? Workrate? Probably on some level a combination of all, but I'd just love to see a couple of simply chips to easy marks for these guys. Charlie in particular seems to cop a working over every week and gets no freebies at all. Despite oppo fans whinging about free kicks I could easily argue he should be receiving more.
Has to be delivery according to CD Kennedy is the worst kick in the comp for inside 50 and Walsh is 5th worst

Cincotta does his best work when he plays forward 50 and shuts down the oppositions best half back. Not only does he negate their drive and ball movement but he has the threat of hitting the scoreboard and giving them more to think about. Give him that simple role.. not simple in difficulty but in terms of clarity of role and he thrives.

Send him to Houston this week and stifle the ball movement of the Power. They like bringing it back through the corridor so if we can force the ball into the hands of anyone but Houston we limit the damage and are more likely to force the turnover.
It's interesting, as has been discussed on radio and shows etc. if you have a tagger who does the same/similar thing every week teams can plan around it. So having him simply play the same role every week and expecting an outcome isn't necessarily the play, so I can see why they played him at half back and then adjusted.

Maybe that can be the role, starting off in a position but then adjusting and shifting to the hot hand later in game once it's established someone is "on"

Starting on Houston may be what they expect and they'll plan for it - though iirc didn't he play on Butters and do quite well last time we played them? So maybe that will be the off the bat plan and see if Port Power have planned for it.

It's interesting, as has been discussed on radio and shows etc. if you have a tagger who does the same/similar thing every week teams can plan around it. So having him simply play the same role every week and expecting an outcome isn't necessarily the play, so I can see why they played him at half back and then adjusted.

Maybe that can be the role, starting off in a position but then adjusting and shifting to the hot hand later in game once it's established someone is "on"

Starting on Houston may be what they expect and they'll plan for it - though iirc didn't he play on Butters and do quite well last time we played them? So maybe that will be the off the bat plan and see if Port Power have planned for it.

It’s an interesting point. They can plan for it but there’s only so much they can do off the half-back to free Houston up. If Cinc gets on top and it results in either nullifying the impact of Houston or if they move him to another position that’s a big win for us. If Cinc is getting towelled up or it’s not working then you can move him elsewhere e.g. to a Butters. I do think it’s easier for a mid to break a tag at stoppages because there can be blocking and help from teammates. But yes, he did a good job on Butters last time from memory. Houston is more damaging with ball in hand though so I’d prefer we at least start Cinc on him and then assess from there.

Really not sure about that. He had a good moment or 2, and another few absolute shockers.

I still have doubts about his attacking skillset, I think he's rather limited in his damage going forward. But I love his run, ability to maintain structure, and his defensive willingness. So he stays imo, I just don't think we can rely on him to be an attacking option at this stage in his development. Cotts & Acres seem to the be options drifing inside 50 most of the time.
He had way more great moments than shockers on the weekend. Defensive efforts, kicks into the corridor that opened play up, and gut running to spoil or become an extra number in the contest. Most of his errors came from trying to be aggressive when we were looking stagnant too

There are certain teams that will always try it on - Norfs is one you can bookmark it. Not all teams will allow you to play 'your way' - sometime you have to be able to outplay them in their game way as well. Mongrel IS mostly being smart enough to know when "it" is on and then do maximum damage - smart.

With Norfs for example- a hard rolling tag on LDU is MANDATORY and taking care oh his big buddy ruckman goes with that.
A player of the ilk of our back line coach would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ollie was very good last week, best game in a long time so he needs
to stay for sure IMO.

Georgie Hewitt should never be dropped again. Have serious doubts whether we would have got over Kangas
without him.... Was so instrumental.

Cotters has been lucky to hold his spot but showed a bit last week. Hope he can go on with it.

Kemp for Durdin, Gov for Cowan, Pitto for TDK , Boyd for Carroll. (allows Cerra back in mid)

Also don't agree with the Walsh going to the wing talk...... It was V Gold Coast last year when he moved from the wing
back into the guts and it changed everything. If he is not right rest him....If he is, has to be on ball!
I’m tired of Ollie butchering it - we just can’t afford those turnovers game after game. He didn’t have a great game.

Some good defensive efforts undone by terrible skill errors.

Agree on Hewy - he was great last week, just a solid decision maker.

Agree on the other ins. Given we are supposedly so beaten up, good timing for these returns.

I’d prefer Cerra on the wing than Walsh.

We have had the wood on them, beaten them convincingly the last two times. They aren't one of those sides who are overly quick and use pace to carry the ball and apply pressure and generally those are the sort of sides we can consistently beat.

Guv, and to a lesser extent, Kemp in the back line change our dynamic completely.
Gov is a massive in for us, he's one of our main rebounding defenders. We have lost Docherty and Williams from the backline who at their best are real weapons from behind the ball. Cowan is a good youngster but hasn't stepped up as a two way running attacking defender. I think if Wilson had not missed a couple of games he would be considered for selection. IMO he will be a better player at AFL level than VFL. Boyd has stepped up this season but again, did not play last week. Newman has gone a little quiet and I think it's because of the outs and his role changing. Kemp can get off the chain a bit but is being played deep a lot more than half back.

If either Saad or McGovern miss, we really notice it. We are currently short 1 top line running defender. Someone who can get off the chain, get 20-30 touches and hurt the opposition.

Charlie needs to use his wheels on the lead to get separation, either he’s running under the ball or players are kicking it onto his head.

We set up with Charlie & Harry back & 4 smalls across half forward - they should revert to a traditional CHF & FF split. It’ll create more room and that link play we all love.

Told we have a lot of sore bodies and not many will be on track this week. Several players will be given until Friday morning to prove fitness. Very very easy week for most

Acres McKay Weitering Martin Boyd McGovern Walsh are an issue. Marchbank not 100% either

Injuries are my biggest concern
That's footy. Reckon if I missed when I was sore I would have played 1/3 of the games I have and that wasn't AFL. These guys would play sore a lot of the time. I'm not too worried about it. Quiet week on the track, plenty of recover exercises, a good amount of therapy and a good solid warm up for Friday night and they will be right.

I think all sides would be in the same boat.

That's footy. Reckon if I missed when I was sore I would have played 1/3 of the games I have and that wasn't AFL. These guys would play sore a lot of the time. I'm not too worried about it. Quiet week on the track, plenty of recover exercises, a good amount of therapy and a good solid warm up for Friday night and they will be right.

I think all sides would be in the same boat.

Not sore as in a few bumps and bruises

Sore as in really struggling to get up each week and/or fighting and restricted by injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back