Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 Changes

IMG_0952.jpeg
MILESTONE: Nic Newman 100 Carlton Games

IMG_0953.jpeg

Hawks have an interesting forward mix.

Chol as the permanent tall forward, Weddle and Gunston rotating as the second tall forward, Dear as the 3rd tall forward but could be a sub. That's going to take all of Weiters, Kemp and Gov to handle.

Then we have Breust, Watson and Ginnivan as the small forwards, with Moore potentially rotating through as well. Newman can take Breust as they are two veterans and Breust has the least foot speed. Saad will have to take Watson as Ginnivan might be too strong in the air for him. I'd bring in Cowan for Ginnivan. Not as quick but will stick to his task and not take any shit from him. We can also deploy Cincotta back there is something isn't working.

Interesting but not unexpected.

Quarters won in 2024
1st Qtr - Carlton 13 of 20 (Eq 3rd in AFL)
2nd Qtr - Carlton 8 of 20 (Eq 11th in AFL)
3rd Qtr - Carlton 8 of 20 (Eq 11th in AFL)
4th Qtr - Carlton 12 of 20 (Eq 4th in AFL)

Night Games
Carlton Played 18, Won 10, Lost 8

Day Games
Carlton Played 2, Won 2, Lost 0

Scoring
1st for Points For
5th for Points Against

Only 4 teams have let in more scores than us.

Despite how dysfunctional our forward line seems at times, it has still kicked more than every other team. This validates all of the consensus about how badly we defend in the midfield and the backline. I put it down to our medium/small defenders and midfielders. They're just all at sea when it comes to reading the ball coming in, and sticking to their opponent at stoppages and in general play.

We need quicker, natural defenders. Boyd isn't it. Newman and Cowan aren't quick enough being in the same side. I think Cowan is the Newman replacement more than anything. We need a pacy small defender. Maybe 2 if we don't use Saad differently.

Personally, I'd get 2 and move Saad up the ground so he doesn't have to be a lock down defender, can use his run to find targets inside 50, and can solve some of those midfield defense/pace issues.

We do have Matt Carroll and Billy Wilson in our squad. Carroll is a natural small defender, but not overly quick. Wilson is one I expect to come on quickly and give us what we need.

For me our backline is a bit up and down, I'm not sold on Kemp. Also losing Fantasia and Williams has unsettled the forward structure with the two FF working with Motlop and others. Charlie and H need to be more vocal in the forward line and tell others to get out of the way. Motlop needs to get more involved and I do realise he is coming back from injury. I get a bit wary when I see Charlie too far up the ground.
It’s be interesting to see how many goals are attributed against Kemp this season, in contests and direct opponents. Always seems to be the one trailing then shaking his head post oppo mark.
Tighten up, Kempy. Train to spoil and body your opponent.

Three home and away games left to salvage this season. I'm looking forward to seeing how the players respond to this challenge.

I'll back them to pull it off. I still think there's a kick left in this team. The players possibly could've taken their eyes off the ball as well.

The talk and i include myself in that at the end of June was about how we have a great chance of making the grand final etc. Perhaps some of that hype amongst the supporters got to them a little bit.

Let's just throw everything but the kitchen sink at this and see where we end up here.

Last edited:
Hey all!

Just curious, will Cincotta tag? And who would he go to, Day was tagged by Bedford last week, Sicily could be an option or Newcombe.

Hawks have an interesting forward mix.

Chol as the permanent tall forward, Weddle and Gunston rotating as the second tall forward, Dear as the 3rd tall forward but could be a sub. That's going to take all of Weiters, Kemp and Gov to handle.

Then we have Breust, Watson and Ginnivan as the small forwards, with Moore potentially rotating through as well. Newman can take Breust as they are two veterans and Breust has the least foot speed. Saad will have to take Watson as Ginnivan might be too strong in the air for him. I'd bring in Cowan for Ginnivan. Not as quick but will stick to his task and not take any shit from him. We can also deploy Cincotta back there is something isn't working.
Weddle rarely plays forward, but rotates late in games as does Sicily.

Chol and Dear have been the main two, Jasper Scaife may get a game, 12 goals in 5 games or so at VFL level and recently off a bag of 4, as a big power forward.

Breust and Gunston combo may change and one may go out, otherwise Breust sub and Gunston third tall.

Watson, Ginnivan, Moore and MacDonald the smalls.

Three home and away games left to salvage this season. I'm looking forward to seeing how the players respond to this challenge.

I'll back them to pull it off. I still think there's a kick left in this team. The players possibly could've taken their eyes off the ball as well.

The talk and i include myself in that at the end of June was about how we have a great chance of making the grand final etc. Perhaps some of that hype amongst the supporters got to them a little bit.

Let's just throw everything but the kitchen sink at this and see where we end up here.
You might be right in that the team may have got too involved in the hype but you would think our group would be fairly grounded given that they haven't achieved the ultimate success and that they keep saying that only consistent hard work (contest and pressure) will get the job done.

Let's hope the talk about what we need to do is reflected in actions on field. Starting this week and then continuing for the rest of the season.

If it does, we'll go mighty close.

Jack Martin pulled up "Okay" after game. Won't do much until last training session of week. That's his world now.
Played 78% on weekend
If he gets through this week expect to be rested for WCE trip

Jack Martin pulled up "Okay" after game. Won't do much until last training session of week. That's his world now.
Played 78% on weekend
Any news on Charlie?

Played 78% on weekend
That's good news, he got heavily crunched a couple of times last game.
We need Martin, Cincotta and Fog playing high pressure forwards to ****** the enemy rebound... the mid's doing similar...backline issues will be solved.

edit. lol, it is perfectly fine to use the word r*t*rd on this occasion, mods.

Hey all!

Just curious, will Cincotta tag? And who would he go to, Day was tagged by Bedford last week, Sicily could be an option or Newcombe.
I'd love Cincotta to go to a Sicily type - feel like his best game was in a similar role on Stewart where he minimised his impact and kicked a couple against him. Might be an unpopular opinion however

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agreed. His best spot is as a defensive forward.

IMO his best spot is as a mid. Love to see him play there like he did in VFL. Tough, has a burst of leg speed and a beautiful kick. Just needs a chance

My concern is he will be pegged as a defensive role player and I reckon he is more than that

IMO his best spot is as a mid. Love to see him play there like he did in VFL. Tough, has a burst of leg speed and a beautiful kick. Just needs a chance

My concern is he will be pegged as a defensive role player and I reckon he is more than that
I’ve been a step advocate for this.
Put him in the middle and let him play. See what he’s got.

Played 78% on weekend

If he can play anywhere near that amount of game time for the next 2-3 (and any games that follow) that will be massive for us. He was huge late last year and was good again on the weekend. Outmarking Darcy Moore with his size was impressive.

He is so important for us imo.

We need Martin, Cincotta and Fog playing high pressure forwards to ****** the enemy rebound... the mid's doing similar...backline issues will be solved.

Not sure it's mods, I think there's an auto filter that picks up words and censors them, even if the use of the words use is appropriate in context.

I'm not sure about that, despite some exciting attributes I don't see much more than a workmanlike player in overall ability.

He didnt really break into the team until he got given specific roles and we've seen when that role isn't working he's not very useful. Defensive forward is his best spot.

Might develop, and that'd be great, but right now he's not good enough unless he's playing that role.

I’ve been a step advocate for this.
Put him in the middle and let him play. See what he’s got.

These are things I wish our coaching group would try. We seem to primarily use the same names in the middle and our midfield is our biggets issue.

Why hasn't a Cincotta or Saad or Newman or Cowan or Boyd or kemp etc been given a few mid minutes. Before his knee I was keen to see Charlie have a few minutes a quarter ala Kouta style

Watching other teams lately there is a lot of names in the middle at times I never would have thought of.

Not sure it's mods, I think there's an auto filter that picks up words and censors them, even if the use of the words use is appropriate in context.

The answer is NO and the use of ceratin words is not appropriate in any context.

Site rules:-

Can be found here:-

2. Don't be a pest
Insults ......

I'm not sure about that, despite some exciting attributes I don't see much more than a workmanlike player in overall ability.

He didnt really break into the team until he got given specific roles and we've seen when that role isn't working he's not very useful. Defensive forward is his best spot.

Might develop, and that'd be great, but right now he's not good enough unless he's playing that role.

No disrespect but I don't get that. Players seem to be pigeon holed especially when not drafted or come through a different path. His VFL form was easily as good as a Jai Newcombe. I look at Shaun Mannagh the same. Sam Durham another one. Go back to Michael Barlow. Given them a go. It's amazing how they step up when provided with the opportunity and if it works he brings things we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back