Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)

Last edited:
Yes. It seemed like we had a very similar plan to the previous year, but it was being badly implemented. The midfield mix was wrong and we seemed slow around the footy, and there were some bad decisions being made by the first choice mids.

I think people mistake a game plan issue with a personnel issue. Nicks gave too much time to the wrong mids to begin with.
I think people blame shit game plans on players.

“We’d win a flag with this genius game plan, we just dont have the players.”

It's okay, people can believe what they want.

I'm not too fussed that the thought police disagree with me. People here waste a lot of energy getting upset that someone holds a different view.

Personally, I think our game plan changed far less than did the personnel in place to implement it.

I think for the most part our high pressure, turnover focused, quick and deep entry game was being attempted, but the older mids were cautious and taking conservative options and just weren't doing shit well.

The difference between playing well and badly is rarely a change in a plan - sometimes, playing badly is because you're just playing badly.

But hey, what do I know. It's not like Nicks told me personally, I have no idea what his intentions were.
Explain then why our half backs didn’t move the ball on quick.

I think people overrate the impact of coaches, and underestimate how much success is the quality of the playing list.

Yeah - spot on! What can anyone know about coaches like Leppa, Buckley and Rutten?

Tell me again how you know so much about Mathew Nicks as a brilliant coach and master tactician.

The crazy thing is that he calls Buckley boring and one dimensional, yet thinks Nicks who coaches a poor man's mid 2000s Sydney style of game is a great coach.

Suggesting we didnt change our gameplan at the beginning of the season is pure madness.

There were multi reports all preseason about how we were looking to go more defensive and then boom we go from being the highest scoring team in the AFL to averaging 55 points a game in the first four rounds. We then let the shackles off and averaged 88 points per game for the next 19 games.

Would love to hear the personal changes that were responsible for this sudden shift?!!? I mean was it as simple as dropping Parnell and Chris Burgess for Will Hamill and Lachlan Gollant in RD 5 that changed our gameplan so much?!?!?!

To me what was most frustrating is that Nicks had actually tried this stupidity before with equally disastrous results.

He tried it in 2022. After we couldn't stop Fremantle from getting on two big runs in round 1 - we went to a really defensive chipping gameplan against Collingwood in round 2 and got absolutely slaughtered.

Number 1 is a strong leadership group of players. They drive the standards and are the difference between winning and losing on game day.

Number 2 is the connection the coaches have with the players and the ability to empower the playing group, give them confidence and motivate. The buck stops with the head coach.

Number 3 is luck/management with injuries.

Fitness, skill, game plan and list management are all part of it of course, but you shouldn't be able to get too far behind or ahead in these areas. Every club has time and IQ to manage these areas.

I think people overrate the impact of coaches, and underestimate how much success is the quality of the playing list.

Surely you don't think that if we didn't sack Robert Shaw at the end 1996 that we would have still won back to back flags in 97 and 98.

I’d have Buckley in a heart beat. You can hear in his analysis on commentary, he’s learned a lot since his coaching days. Leppitsch is an a’hole and I wouldn’t want him within 50 feet of our club.
It’s always been, if you want a coaching job, get into the media & raise your profile

Buckley has always talked a good game

But from all reports he has a damn good footy brain.

After getting sacked by Brisbane - went to Richmond as an assistant and was a part of their 3 flags in 4 years. Then he joined Collingwood at the end of 2021 and won a flag with them in 2023.

Bulldogs tried to poach him at the end of 2023 as well.

Obviously very well thought of in footy circles.
You can have a good football brain, and still be a poor man manager & decision maker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggesting we didnt change our gameplan at the beginning of the season is pure madness.

There were multi reports all preseason about how we were looking to go more defensive and then boom we go from being the highest scoring team in the AFL to averaging 55 points a game in the first four rounds. We then let the shackles off and averaged 88 points per game for the next 19 games.

Would love to hear the personal changes that were responsible for this sudden shift?!!? I mean was it as simple as dropping Parnell and Chris Burgess for Will Hamill and Lachlan Gollant in RD 5 that changed our gameplan so much?!?!?!

To me what was most frustrating is that Nicks had actually tried this stupidity before with equally disastrous results.

He tried it in 2022. After we couldn't stop Fremantle from getting on two big runs in round 1 - we went to a really defensive chipping gameplan against Collingwood in round 2 and got absolutely slaughtered.
And after big losses to GWS and Carlton in 2022. 2023 he goes more attacking and we end up with the best attack and 9th best defence. Then he implements it again and bang we go to the worst attack and as you say, he finally changes it and we score again, magic!!

Still remember Milera round 1 continually stopping and going back behind the mark, slowing the play. 2023 he took the game on, that’s his natural game. Max was also doing it.

So was SYD’s downfall on SAT due to the players unaccountability … or Longmire

Players make coaches, it’s always been the way

I love this preschool level analysis. Clay Sampson 24 games over 2 years and moved on. Chad Rintoul 23 games over 2 years and moved on. Thiessen, 44 games over 3 years and moved on. The point isn’t that barely fringe level players don’t appear in flag sides it’s that flag clubs don’t molly coddle these types to 150 games for no other reason than hoping experience and continuity eventually pay off. These players happen to find themselves on the edge of the a GF 22 whilst being churned through the system.
Erm, Jennys question regarding our 2 GF sides was “Spot the Murphy“ so that IS the point. It’s your clear misunderstanding that’s broadened the context.

FYI, I don’t disagree with your subsequent assertions but they are totally irrelevant to the question Jenny posed and my answer. It’s not that hard surely.

So we’ve never seen a new coach come in, replace a shit coach or a coach who has been there too long and get different results with largely the same team?

Reckon we’ve got a recent example with Collingwood.

Never happened at our club.

Apart from with Blight and Craig and Sanderson of course.

Neil Craig had a handful of our all time greats and couldn’t convert a flag.
Any all-time forwards in that group?

Craig had an imbalanced list. At the time, some of his game plan strategies were genuinely innovative. I think he failed the Hinkley test - you still need the head coach to be someone you like and want to listen to. He can't be a robot.

Why do people bring up names as future coaches, they have zero knowledge about ......Leppa is simplay a name people recall, they forget him being an abject failure as a Coach

They bring up Rutten ....boy, the stories I could tell you on that one

Buckley, the most boring single-minded Coach since Neil Craig
Please tell us some Rutten stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back