Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the race for Peatling is down to GWS, Adelaide or a Victorian club (link)

Rumor summary October 2
  • Ricciuto claims we will announce a director of coaching this week (link)
  • GWS have upped their offer for Peatling to four years (link)
  • Twomey claims the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide, GWS and Western Bulldogs (link)
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)
  • Kymbo says the Peatling decision is down to Adelaide or GWS (link)
  • Poster claims Peatling has decided to stay in Sydney (link)
  • Poster claims our offer for Peatling is the best in terms of dollars by far (link)
  • We've landed Murray Davis from the Brisbane Lions as coaching director (link)

Rumor summary October 3

• Free agency lodgements for Cumming to Adelaide and Himmelberg to Gold Coast will go through tomorrow (link)
  • James Peatling has chosen Adelaide (link)

Last edited:
One of my fav’s when he is playing.
Irony is he has injured more team mates at training than he has had himself .
I just checked his stats, and he's only played 28 games since 2017 (8 seasons). That guy has done well to remain in the footy conversation considering he's played in 8 less games than Jimmy Rowe played in 2 AFL seasons

That would diminish our first next year.
Not necessarily. The points come off your pick from the round where the bid comes in.

So... if the bid comes in the 2nd round in 2024, the points come off our 2nd round pick in 2025; if the bid comes in the 1st round, the points come off our 1st round pick.

waiting on Cummin FA announcement. Cant imagine we will need to wait too much longer (hopefully!)

Kane was VERY complimentary about our aggressive trading this morning. Rated all 3 players we are bringing in. Saying we are clearly trading to 'win now' including keeping some snr players like Tex. The 6 year rebuild is over and feels we are going hard to win big next year
A compliment from him never comes without a backhanded whack or a comment to needle the Crows.
He twice in the last 24 hrs has floated Darcy Fogarty to Brisbane to replace Daniher on a 5 year deal.
Effing Hypocrite, he has been potting Fog forever.

Any chance of posters typing Cumming's name correctly.
I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

I just checked his stats, and he's only played 28 games since 2017 (8 seasons). That guy has done well to remain in the footy conversation considering he's played in 8 less games than Jimmy Rowe played in 2 AFL seasons
I raise you Tom Campbell who is reportedly going to Melbourne via FA, he’s played 23 games in that time.

Going to Melb behind Gawn when other clubs were chasing him was ridiculous.
But severe white line fever and loose marble in head with talent which clubs thought they could harness.
Injuries cruelled him.

A compliment from him never comes without a backhanded whack or a comment to needle the Crows.
He twice in the last 24 hrs has floated Darcy Fogarty to Brisbane to replace Daniher on a 5 year deal.
Yep. Lets hope both The Fog and Tex rip them a new one next year. Along with (hopefully a bearded) The Beast at FF

Not sure if you’ve miss heard?
He said Adelaide will need to give him a 5 year deal, it was JJ that floated fog to Brisbane yesterday.

Not necessarily. The points come off your pick from the round where the bid comes in.

So... if the bid comes in the 2nd round in 2024, the points come off our 2nd round pick in 2025; if the bid comes in the 1st round, the points come off our 1st round pick.
What happens if you don’t have a second next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair enough Bicks but why would you doubt Jenny when she has exceptional contacts within the club? She doesnt make shit up and advised about Peatling and also a new coaching incoming from QLD or NSW
Because there are still plenty of moving parts going on with draftees, picks and clubs at this point that's why. The National draft is still 6 weeks away.

Because there are still plenty of moving parts going on with draftees, picks and clubs at this point that's why. The National draft is still 6 weeks away.
all good, time will tell. i will back in Jennys info - which is also totally rational IMO re an elite speedy SA mid who loves the club - but respect that not all posters will feel the same

Has it changed? I'm sure it came out of your first pick from the succeeding year last time I was interested.
It hasn't changed, but very rarely have teams gone into debt. The most notable case was Freo, who did have their 1st round pick pushed back, as a result of not having enough points to match a 1st round bid.

1st rounders especially a pick that has the potential to be inside the top 10 next year seems too steep to me for a development ruck. With the SANFL rules opening up there will be several development rucks that miss out on the draft, why not go that avenue...try before you buy.
I get your point about overpaying. If he's anywhere inside 15 I'd let it go.

However, trading out F1 isn't irresponsible because next year we can trade out two F1's to get back in.

That wouldn't be irresponsible because after draft 2025 we should've largely finished our list build and really shouldn't need any more first rounders or many draftees at all and should be concentrating in getting games into the ones we do have.. We can drop out the draft for a couple of years with no harm done.

all good, time will tell. i will back in Jennys info - which is also totally rational IMO re an elite speedy SA mid who loves the club - but respect that not all posters will feel the same
Even if Jenny's intel's correct, there's still 3 clubs before us that can pick Draper (one very likely in that too). All of us should have four pick one options we like, doing anything else is setting yourself up for disappointment.

fair enough Bicks but why would you doubt Jenny when she has exceptional contacts within the club? She doesnt make shit up and advised about Peatling and also a new coaching incoming from QLD or NSW
I don’t doubt Jenny but don’t know why the recruiting group would give anything away?

Even if Jenny's intel's correct, there's still 3 clubs before us that can pick Draper (one very likely in that too). All of us should have four pick one options we like, doing anything else is setting yourself up for disappointment.
yes absolutely of course. the issue I was discussing with Bicks though is who is the clubs preference at 4. Jenny said its Draper (if available) and I will back her intel in. Unfortunately he may well be gone

Maybe I'm a bit slow on this one.
Rookie list up to five years now, depending on games played after the fourth year.

• Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
You're not the only one - I wasn't aware of this rule change either.

What it means is that Keane can now spend another 2 years on the rookie list, and Borlase 3. Unsure about Turray, as they don't specify whether his 1/2 season in 2024 counts or not.

Note that Keane & Borlase have both already exceeded the 10 game limit, so would not be eligible for a 5th season on the rookie list. Turray's total remains at 0, so he is currently eligible.

I don’t doubt Jenny but don’t know why the recruiting group would give anything away?
all good. respect that different posters will believe different things and we cant prove it either way at this stage anyway. they didnt need to confirm with her that we were after Peatling and/or getting a QLD/NSW coaching related appointment either but they did

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back