Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumor summary September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumor summary October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumor summary October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumor summary October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 7
  • No new rumors, although Justin Reid confirmed we'll use pick 28 on Neal-Bullen

Last edited:
Cmon man, thatā€™s just not true. He probably wouldnā€™t get sacked under that scenario but he also wouldnā€™t be getting an extension (certainly not a multi year one)

Oh no, they will almost certainly extend his contract. I suspect likely an extra 2 years. But in that circumstance of making finals, they will see it as a green light.

Oh no, they will almost certainly extend his contract. I suspect likely an extra 2 years. But in that circumstance of making finals, they will see it as a green light.
Fair enough, letā€™s agree to disagree as I would put good money on the club NOT extending Nicks after a massive week one finals thumping. Especially after the lesson from this year about extending prematurely.

All academic anyway and letā€™s hope we even make the finals as otherwise I think itā€™s fait accompli Nicks is goneski

Reports this morning saying we will part with 28 for ANB and that it is expected to be one of the first deals done.

Is it just me or is that spineless and pathetic from us?

ANB is a solid player (not elite), he's moving home for family reasons, has the blessing of Melbounre to do so, and has nominated one single club.
No-one pays full price in those circumstances, yet we can't wait to do so? Why? A 3rd rounder would be fair.

Reports this morning saying we will part with 28 for ANB and that it is expected to be one of the first deals done.

ANB is a solid player (not elite), he's moving home for family reasons, has the blessing of Melbounre to do so, and has nominated one single club.
No-one pays full price in those circumstances, yet we can't wait to do so? Why? A 3rd rounder would be fair.
If we can't use the pick anyway, who cares?

At the time we probably didnt think we would get Peatling and negotiated this. But ANB is a pick in the #40s at best. His age profile is not long term. Ridiculous price for a role player.

The ever optimist says ANB is in for Murphy. Thats the clear comparison. Murphy should be the 33rd player selected every week. Surely he doesnt survive all 3 inclusions plus young players. That would be an utter disaster at selection.
Fixed

At the time we probably didnt think we would get Peatling and negotiated this. But ANB is a pick in the #40s at best. His age profile is not long term. Ridiculous price for a role player.
28 isn't old damn people carry on like 30 and your done , this guy has been top 5 in Melbourne's bnf the last 4 years he could play 5 years or more

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't love the deal for that price, especially because we have a knack of finding good players with late second-rounders, but there is a lot of underrating of Neal-Bullen on here. He'll replace the worst player in our 22 with Keays-level production for at least 3 years while mentoring our small/medium forwards.

Letā€™s wait for final details but if itā€™s purely pick 28 then I agree itā€™s slight overs. But anything after 40 would be unders for a role model premiership player who just finished 3rd in their B&F.

My view is pick 35 was theoretically about right but itā€™s all irrelevant as we can only take Welsh in addition to pick 4 with our list dynamics (which is another whole issue in itself)

I got the impression Collingwood was interested?

If there was no takers, surely we wouldā€™ve signed Berry to a 1-year deal? But of course thatā€™s not how Reid rolls when it comes to negotiating contracts
My guess is that the options would have been ranked:
1. Trade
2. Re-sign
3. Delist

We already have an abundance of players coming out of contract in 2025 who won't be on the list in 2026, and he's shown a fair bit this year. There was no reason why they should have given him a 2-year contract. This is not one deal which is ever likely to appear on Kane's infamous "worst 10 contracts" list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really believe ANB and Murphy will both play round one? (Assuming not injuries to multiple other small forwards like Keays, Rachele etc)?

Happy to bookmark but surely ANB replaces Murphy here
I'll be happy if I'm wrong here, so feel free to bookmark it.

I don't see them as being comparable at all? Peatling is a quick clean explosive type of player ... Berry is a tacking grunt in-and-under type.

Berry and Crouch - very similar. Except ... Crouch has god-hands when it comes to grabbing the footy - Berry has spirit fingers. Both tackle well, Berry better. Berry a better mark. Neither great disposers.

Could be wrong ... maybe after a we see Peatling in our 22 we will get more of an idea where his best characteristics lie?
Peatling and Berry are both clearance-winning mids, that like to work hard defensively and tend to accelerate from stoppage if they can

Difference is, Peatling has the speed that makes him more effective at accelerating from stoppage than Berry, while also having better decision-making skills, which sees him often being the more effective ball user

Your earlier point about the inactive list is interesting. Maybe theres a long term injury we dont know about which will have someone inactive for 2025 which would create another list spot til all the 2025 delistings occur of which there should be many.
In fact, couldn't smith be moved to inactive list and just play sanfl?
Smith could... but they'd be batshit insane to do so. The only players who get placed on the Inactive List are those who have retired or suffered season-ending injuries. Clubs don't do it to fit & active players, who are still eligible for AFL selection.

28 isn't old damn people carry on like 30 and your done , this guy has been top 5 in Melbourne's bnf the last 4 years he could play 5 years or more

He is 29 when the season starts next year. Ben Brown his team mate just retired at 31. Rory Sloane retired at 34 but has been useless since he was 31. Thats how quick players can go south. Effictively at best we should hope for 3 seasons. Anything extra is a bonus.

If we can't use the pick anyway, who cares?
We should be trying to get something additional coming back our way. Maybe a F3 pick seeing as we aren't really interested in this year's draft.

He is 29 when the season starts next year. Ben Brown his team mate just retired at 31. Rory Sloane retired at 34 but has been useless since he was 31. Thats how quick players can go south. Effictively at best we should hope for 3 seasons. Anything extra is a bonus.
You quote these players yet pendlebery , zorko, danger are all 34+ and still playing good football so who knows

We can still use it to upgrade other picks, improve our position in 2025, etc
Our poor list management (trigger for Smith, signing up players for too long deals) has led us to not having the list space to take any players past pick 4.

Compounded by this reality, overpaying for a 29 year old because the pick simply can't be used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back