Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deleted confirmed information

Rumors from September 30
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Rumors from October 1
  • We have offered Darcy Fogarty a five year contract extension early ahead of free agency (link)
  • We are attempting to lure Graham Wright to our football department (link)

Rumors from October 2-3
  • Graham Wright, who we are chasing as a head of football, is also being chased by Carlton for a CEO position (link)

Rumors from October 4-5
  • Gettable claiming pick 25 for Neal-Bullen and a future 2nd for Peatling (link)

Rumors from October 6
  • Tom Morris claims we are open to splitting pick 4 (link)

Rumor summary October 8
  • Jon Ralph claims we are not prepared to use a future 2nd on Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 9
  • Graham Wright will not join Adelaide, instead taking up the Carlton CEO role (link)
  • Tom Morris claims the Peatling trade will involve future 2nd and 3rd round picks, and we have offered him a four year deal at about $600k per season (link)
  • Riley Beveridge claims we asked GWS if they were interested in one of our players in the Peatling trade (link)

Rumor summary October 10

• Collingwood are interested in Justin Reid as their new head of football (link)
  • GWS want our future 2nd and pick 46 for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 11

• Poster claims we are attempting to lure Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, maybe in 2025 (link)
  • Tom Morris claims we will do the Peatling deal for pick 46 and a future 2nd provided there are other late pick swaps (link)

Rumor summary October 13

• Tom Morris suggests we have offered a trade involving a swap of future 2nds for Peatling (link)

Rumor summary October 15

• After West Coast got absolutely rogered, Cal Twomey claims we have offered either two future 3rds for Peatling, or a swap of 2nds and a future 3rd (link)
  • We have interest in Sam Davidson from Richmond VFL (link)
  • Mitch Cleary claims some GWS players are facing suspensions from the AFL due to behaviour at an end of season event (link)
  • Brett Montgomery is staying at GWS, meaning we were unsuccessful at luring him (link)

Rumor summary October 16

• Stalemate on the Peatling trade as of 4pm, with us threatening to send him to the PSD (link)

Last edited:
I don't particularly rate the importance of rucks, I'm more concerned about what's underneath
Yeah, it's hard to make a case that rucks are particularly important, considering how irrelevant they've been for premiership success.

I mean, it'd be nice to not have a dud player within the 22, but it's obviously not a critical role.

Not much to be gained by saying "we love him, he's going to be a jet, i hope nobody bids on him in the top ten" at this point. We've had 12 months where we're the only club to have had a proper look at his development. Information asymmetry is our best friend here. Actually thought Reid's answer was very slick there. Gave absolutely nothing away.

This. I’d be stunned if don’t take him with a late pick.

It's much of a muchness, really. There is no real practical difference between the two lists. Either Welsh goes on the main list and we move a senior player onto the rookie list, or else Welsh just goes straight onto the rookie list.
Don’t rookies get a shorter contract? If Welsh is rookied and doesn’t work on achieving elite fitness standards it might allow us to cut and run.

So rookie would be a good spot for him.

Not a poor attitude because he was brilliant with the Crows Academy kids for a good 2 months. Worked hard with them and these 14 yr old lads really spoke highly of him.
We erred by taking him out of the u18s program this year. There's a feeling he would've dominated, but we hid him away, was rushed into the SANFL, lost confidence and then his body struggled.

Club internally believes he'll get to the rookie draft. I'd be very surprised if we didn't select him in that after all we've put into him this year.

100% agreeed.

He kicked a bag last sanfl game and he’s bloody 17. This is just bluffing so he makes it to the rookie. Def will be a crow.

So Trade/FA in summary:

OUT: pick 28, pick 46, F2, Himmelberg
IN: ANB, Cumming, Peatling, 2 x F3s, F4

We’ve done ok.
THe only query from me was the Dees pick swap. 45 ish this year is worth much more than a similar pick next year. Perhaps we had a grand plan to use F3 for Peatling and unfortunately it didn’t work out. As someone else said we maybe wanted to offer kangas F2 to move from 4->2 this year but anyway great last few weeks for the club with only this relatively small query from my perspective

Caved:
West Coast (twice)
Western Bulldogs
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide

Benefitted hugely:
Collingwood
Geelong
Richmond
Hawthorn

:think:
Agree with all except Horks, just don’t see giving up F1, F2 and F3 for a good, not elite, 29yo KPD is that brilliant,

Interestingly Blues rated biggest winners on the Age article I posted the link for

Just ok? That’s an A grade off season, the best this club has had overall in over 20 years in terms of bringing in multiple players that improve the best 18. Also kept pick 4.
100% AND importantly got good non SA lads to nominate us for the first time in so so long - esp Peatling where we beat out 6 other clubs. Sets an excellent precedent and who else can we knock off next year now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barass is elite imo.
Ok that’s fair enough and I don’t really feel strongly enough about “elite” vs “very good” after this post.

I was just basing it on the fact he has averaged 15 games per year across his career (many years with Weagles in finals) so obviously had a fair share of injuries, has NEVER been AA, normally finished 7-10th in Eagles B&F with the exception of 4th in 2020 and winning it in 2022 (7th and 9th in the last 2 years).

Just feel he has been a very good player but his best is now past him and might only have 2-3 years left in his career as 30 next year. Will definitely help Horks though - just felt they gave up quite a lot but clearly they are trying to “win now”

Last edited:
Ok that’s fair enough and I don’t really feel strongly enough about “elite” vs “very good” after this post.

I was just basing it on the fact he has averaged 15 games per year across his career (many years with Weagles in finals) so obviously had a fair share of injuries, has never been AA, normally finished 7-10th in Eagles B&F with the exception of 4th in 2020 and winning it in 2022 (7th and 9th in the last 2 years).

Just feel he has been a very good player but his best is now past him and might only have 2-3 years left in his career as 30 next year. Will definitely help Horks though - just felt they gave up quite a lot but clearly they are trying to “win now”
Even 3 years of 'pretty good' Barass is big for the Hawks.

Did you listen intently when Tyler Welsh's name was put to him?

Sounded like it's not an absolute done deal?
Sorry what interview and is this available?

Welsh is interesting with such a fall from grace. I had asked you whether you were surprised by such a likely downgrade in his likely draft position and keen for your feedback. Hopefully it’s not another James Sellar big body bully type situation

So do we all just move along to the draft thread now or do we stay in here arguing about whether Reid is any good?
With Reid offered Pies Footy Boss, a HUGE promotion for the nations biggest club, where are the bedwetters about Reidy now (inc Rowey The Clown).

5 first 18 players, with at least 2 elite, traded in over 4 years. Not too many clubs have done that.

Sorry what interview and is this available?

Welsh is interesting with such a fall from grace. I had asked you whether you were surprised by such a likely downgrade in his likely draft position and keen for your feedback. Hopefully it’s not another James Sellar big body bully type situation
The short interview reidy did at the end of the trade period at marvel

With Reid offered Pies Footy Boss, a HUGE promotion for the nations biggest club, where are the bedwetters about Reidy now (inc Rowey The Clown).

5 first 18 players, with at least 2 elite, traded in over 4 years. Not too many clubs have done that.
I’m not a massive Reid fan, whilst it’s not easy to attract to a bad side is very easy to attract when you have money and picks to play with.
Let’s see how he goes when we are flying, if he’s still here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back