Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Age list was updated on DraftGuru.com for post trade period. I believe it should shift again after the draft, but still pretty interesting reading.

Some interesting points.
  • Crows by age is up to 11th this year, which is the highest they've been in years.
  • The oldest 2 teams in (Collingwood and Geelong) remain. Both don't pick until 52 and 45 respectively, and Collingwood also doesn't have a F1.
  • Richmond dropped from 3rd oldest to 14th, and that's before they add 7 or 8 x 18 year olds to their list. Could be right at the bottom by November.
  • Bottom 2 teams are North and WCE. So the pain might not be over anytime soon for those 2 clubs.
Will be interesting to see how they end up after DFA and the Drafts.

I'm only going to post about this once. The penalties in general seem heavy handed but then I don't have all the information as to exactly what's occurred. From what I have seen, Fahey at least may potentially have committed an act of public indecency although NSW police don't seem to be involved. But if so that would be a liquor licence issue for the venue.
How much of the rest was simply bad taste or went further than that we really don't know so it's impossible to have an informed debate about appropriateness of the penalties.

AFL Age list was updated on DraftGuru.com for post trade period. I believe it should shift again after the draft, but still pretty interesting reading.

Some interesting points.
  • Crows by age is up to 11th this year, which is the highest they've been in years.
  • The oldest 2 teams in (Collingwood and Geelong) remain. Both don't pick until 52 and 45 respectively, and Collingwood also doesn't have a F1.
  • Richmond dropped from 3rd oldest to 14th, and that's before they add 7 or 8 x 18 year olds to their list. Could be right at the bottom by November.
  • Bottom 2 teams are North and WCE. So the pain might not be over anytime soon for those 2 clubs.
Will be interesting to see how they end up after DFA and the Drafts.
Games played rank still 14th though.
Wasted too many games on spuds and underplayed our good ones.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="Kane McGoodwin" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
We rarely delist contracted players... so at this stage would be happy we do to give ourselves options at the draft.

Getting back into the draft seems to be a desire to get Dodson. So to do so we would need to use our F. Let’s say that ends up at [emoji[emoji6]]

Couldn’t we buy almost any established ruck in the comp with that pick? And not wait the / years of development time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Getting back into the draft seems to be a desire to get Dodson. So to do so we would need to use our F. Let’s say that ends up at [emoji[emoji6]]

Couldn’t we buy almost any established ruck in the comp with that pick? And not wait the / years of development time

What’s going on with your posts lately, they look a shambles to me?
IMG_5592.jpeg

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="Kane McGoodwin" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
We rarely delist contracted players... so at this stage would be happy we do to give ourselves options at the draft.

I'm only going to post about this once. The penalties in general seem heavy handed but then I don't have all the information as to exactly what's occurred. From what I have seen, Fahey at least may potentially have committed an act of public indecency although NSW police don't seem to be involved. But if so that would be a liquor licence issue for the venue.
How much of the rest was simply bad taste or went further than that we really don't know so it's impossible to have an informed debate about appropriateness of the penalties.
Apparently NSW Liquor & Gaming have started an investigation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does seem really bizarre that it’s often the managers running back and forth between the clubs trying to mediate the deals, rather than the clubs working it out seperate to the manager.

Surely the managers only responsibility should be to prettier contract terms etc?

The value of the playing contract is exceedingly important, but so is ensuring that the acquiring club is willing to offer up the trade capital required to get the deal done. The manager is getting this information and providing to the player prior to the final decision being made. It doesn't surprise me that they'd insert themselves into the negotiation as there'd be a point where the player would just want to say, 'stuff it, I'll go to my lesser preferred club if they can get the deal done'.

If you look at recent trading of ours, there's evidence that the player's appetite for being involved in a week long negotiation and potential PSD/ND strongly influences how hard we negotiate.

Example 1 - Jordan Dawson - Swans negotiating for our first to be included in deal. Part way through trade period we offer up our first, future first and the first we traded up for (that ultimately went for him) for Kangaroos first to get JHF.

Example 2 - Izaak Rankine - We folded and gave up 5 way too easily where Suns would have given back at least 1 second rounder if we'd pushed. This is in the same year that 7 went with Bowes to Cats as a salary dump. Our opening position should be that we'd be happier giving the AFL 5 in the national draft and Suns nothing.

Example 3 - ANB - Just coughed up a second in 5 minutes where the player had said they weren't going to stay in Melbourne even if a deal wasn't done. We easily get something back from that second if negotiated hard.

Example 4 - James Peatling - Traded hard to the final hour and got him for a song.

In 2 examples we traded hard and could even be described as being hard to deal with. In 2 other examples we didn't even try to get the best deal for ourselves. The variance is not that Reid has DID (apologies if I've offended anyone who knows someone or has this themselves ie Alex), but rather the player's own appetite for being haggled over and potentially having the PSD or ND mentioned as a possibility.

Is this hope or rumour
It's fact. We need to delist at least 2 players from the senior list in order to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum 3 ND selections (including rookie upgrades).

What's not being stated is that we will also be committing to re-draft the delisted players in the RD.

Player Agents have a duty to their clients, not to hold grudges and settle scores.

If Port held their nerve and pissed off Paul Connors, and next year Connors was looking after a player where the best deal for him is at Port, then Connors has a duty to deal with Port for his client. If he doesn't, then his license should be taken away.

You should probably elaborate if you want to insist he's a bad person.

I'd rather not - you can have your opinion and I'll keep mine.

More importantly, we agree on the fact he's an average coach which in the end of the day is all that matters. We've lost a good coach in Bello and kept (and promoted) a bloke who sucks at development. Says alot about the club.

Sounds like GWS negotiated these suspensions and fines. But frankly Fahey should seek his own lawyer and take the AFL to court because that suspension is the biggest load of bullshit and I suspect they wont be able to hide behind disrepute in open court since it actually was not illegal, youd see most skits in offensive comedy. The media should demand better from the AFL as we all know they wouldnt be seen suspending any victorian club players in similar circumstances.

Bottom line not illegal there for the AFL has no grounds.
They do, on the basis of "bringing the game into disrepute" - an AFL charge which has nothing to do with whether or not something is illegal under Australian law.

It's fact. We need to delist at least 2 players from the senior list in order to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum 3 ND selections (including rookie upgrades).

What's not being stated is that we will also be committing to re-draft the delisted players in the RD.
Was unclear to me if this was meant, I know we’ll have to do the delist and re-rookie move, but I got the impression a clean delisting (or at least the potential of it) was implied

Yeah I’m pretty sure we can choose to upgrade Keane after the ND, if we wish to do so, so that works
We can't "choose to upgrade him after the ND if we wish to do so". Nominations for rookie upgrades close on Oct 31st. We can't just make that decision after the draft - it needs to be done 3 weeks before the draft.

We can't "choose to upgrade him after the ND if we wish to do so". Nominations for rookie upgrades close on Oct 31st. We can't just make that decision after the draft - it needs to be done 3 weeks before the draft.
We did with Keays a few years back, I thought? I remember it being confirmed in a post-ND video by Hamish

Since the AFL didnt suspend De Goey for literally sexually assaulting someone then they have no leg to stand on. GWS just seemed like easy pray because they were non victorian.
This is the strongest argument against what the AFL have done to the GWS players. Their staggering inconsistency, in choosing when & who to charge, is a massive problem.

Should the GWS players have been suspended? Probably.
Should De Goey also have been suspended? Definitely.

The fact that De Goey wasn't suspended, and the GWS players were, is a massive problem for the AFL.

Last edited:
I'd rather not - you can have your opinion and I'll keep mine.

More importantly, we agree on the fact he's an average coach which in the end of the day is all that matters. We've lost a good coach in Bello and kept (and promoted) a bloke who sucks at development. Says alot about the club.
A good coach ?? Not saying he isnt, but as the head of development.... or development has sucked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back