Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the strongest argument against what the AFL have done to the GWS players. Their staggering inconsistency, in choosing when & who to charge, is a massive problem.

Should the GWS players have been suspended? Probably.
Should De Goey also have been suspended? Definitely.

The fact that De Goes wasn't suspended, and the GWS players were, is a massive problem for the AFL.
Just a reminder that the girl photographed having her boob cupped by DeGoey in Bali was perfectly ok with it

I agree, but our jump up in Ave games was 58 to 72. Which is significant.
Our best 22 will still be towards the lower end in many games though, given that Smith will be spending the year in the SANFL, Walker should be rested for most away games (and definitely won't play the longer away trips), and I expect that Laird will be spending a lot of time in the SANFL in the back half of the season (following Smith's lead from this year).

Was unclear to me if this was meant, I know we’ll have to do the delist and re-rookie move, but I got the impression a clean delisting (or at least the potential of it) was implied
Silvers made it fairly clear, in his interview at the start of the trading period, that they're not planning on doing this.

A good coach ?? Not saying he isnt, but as the head of development.... or development has sucked.

To each their own - I feel the kids who've been given the opportunity by our head coaches have proven our development has actually been decent in the four years he's been apart of the development team.

Are you happy with the development of Taylor, Dowling, Nankervis, Soligo, Michaelanney, Worrell, RTT?

Playing bloke likes Jones, Mchenry and Murphy over others hasn't helped the situation. Edwards and Ryan would've been added to that list as well if given the chance.

We did with Keays a few years back, I thought? I remember it being confirmed in a post-ND video by Hamish
Maybe Hamish said that they made a late decision to draft Keays in the RD? Rookie upgrade nominations have to be lodged well before the start of the ND.

AFL Age list was updated on DraftGuru.com for post trade period. I believe it should shift again after the draft, but still pretty interesting reading.

Some interesting points.
  • Crows by age is up to 11th this year, which is the highest they've been in years.
  • The oldest 2 teams in (Collingwood and Geelong) remain. Both don't pick until 52 and 45 respectively, and Collingwood also doesn't have a F1.
  • Richmond dropped from 3rd oldest to 14th, and that's before they add 7 or 8 x 18 year olds to their list. Could be right at the bottom by November.
  • Bottom 2 teams are North and WCE. So the pain might not be over anytime soon for those 2 clubs.
Will be interesting to see how they end up after DFA and the Drafts.
Don't know if you heard but Port was the youngest team in the finals... even younger than the Baby Hawks, younger even than a Baby Shark, virtually 18 Embryos in a P.A Emblem... but we don't make excuses.

To each their own - I feel the kids who've been given the opportunity by our head coaches have proven our development has actually been decent in the four years he's been apart of the development team.

Are you happy with the development of Taylor, Dowling, Nankervis, Soligo, Michaelanney, Worrell, RTT?

Playing bloke likes Jones, Mchenry and Murphy over others hasn't helped the situation. Edwards and Ryan would've been added to that list as well if given the chance.
Is that drafting or development ??

Our best 22 will still be towards the lower end in many games though, given that Smith will be spending the year in the SANFL, Walker should be rested for most away games (and definitely won't play the longer away trips), and I expect that Laird will be spending a lot of time in the SANFL in the back half of the season (following Smith's lead from this year).
That's good though. Means there is substantial room for growth in the next crop this season if 3 x veteran best 22 players start to fold out of the mix.

It will means the games are going more into the future of the list, rather then the present, or past in Smith's case.

That's good though. Means there is substantial room for growth in the next crop this season if 3 x veteran best 22 players start to fold out of the mix.

It will means the games are going more into the future of the list, rather then the present, or past in Smith's case.
We're also getting better players into the 50-100 game mark.

Rankine, Soligo, Murray, TT, Rachele, etc are far more likely to actually make meaningful contributions than the likes of Jones, McHenry, Schoenberg, Himmelberg, etc who are only ever going to be fringe players at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree... I'm just making the point that while our average experience has gone up significantly this year, this may not be reflected so much in our weekly team selections.

I agree... I'm just making the point that while our average experience has gone up significantly this year, this may not be reflected so much in our weekly team selections.
I think it shows we absolutely cooked our drafting from 2016-2019 that even after 5 years of rebuilding our squad is likely to still be in the bottom 4 or 5 teams every week for average games per player.

Hopefully we have other targets for next offseason and the squad gets an extra 20 games into it.
We probably need to, given the number of players we have coming out of contract, who shouldn't be on our lists in 2026.

How many BF posters would have predicted us getting Cumming, ANB & Peatling at the start of the year? I think Cumming was mentioned a few times, but the other names only emerged late in the season. All BF attention was on Luko this time last year.

I'd say the club would be working on 2025 FA & trade targets already, and many of those players won't be on the BF radar at this time. Draper is already on the BF radar, but I'm guessing the club has other targets lined up as well.

We probably need to, given the number of players we have coming out of contract, who shouldn't be on our lists in 2026.

How many BF posters would have predicted us getting Cumming, ANB & Peatling at the start of the year? I think Cumming was mentioned a few times, but the other names only emerged late in the season. All BF attention was on Luko this time last year.

I'd say the club would be working on 2025 FA & trade targets already, and many of those players won't be on the BF radar at this time. Draper is already on the BF radar, but I'm guessing the club has other targets lined up as well.
Yeah, you'd think we would have multiple targets.

If Obrien gets replaced by Draper one for one I hope we go after a second free agent as well as trading picks for a player.
Net result 2 experienced players in to replace Tex and Smith.

I.e. Draper, Free Agent - Maynard?, Wanganeen-Milera

Getting back into the draft seems to be a desire to get Dodson. So to do so we would need to use our F. Let’s say that ends up at [emoji[emoji6]]

Couldn’t we buy almost any established ruck in the comp with that pick? And not wait the / years of development time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1729213758138.png

I think it shows we absolutely cooked our drafting from 2016-2019 that even after 5 years of rebuilding our squad is likely to still be in the bottom 4 or 5 teams every week for average games per player.
Interesting you flagged those 3 years specifically.

That's the exact dates of the Pyke era.

Starting to wonder (after his horrible trade this year) if he might have had his fingers in more Pies then we credited him for during his coaching tenure.

If Obrien gets replaced by Draper one for one I hope we go after a second free agent as well as trading picks for a player.

If Turray and Welsh don’t really kick on as expected, I’d be searching the market for a decent 3rd tall forward

Nothing special at the moment, but Jacob Bauer from Richmond would interest me

Current rumours are that we're into Draper as a ROB replacement (RFA), and NWM from St Kilda (trade).

The club probably has other irons in the fire, that we haven't heard about yet.

I'm not against replacing ROB... but I really wish they could find a better option than Draper, who I see as being a significant downgrade on ROB. Not only is he a dud player, he's only 3 years younger than ROB - so we're just kicking the can down the road a bit when it comes to long-term ruck planning.

Both have 2 years before we make that call IMO
Walker's retirement next year will make it a bit more imperative. At that point our tall forward depth will be Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Welsh & Turray. We will need to make a call at that point, as to whether we need to grab a ready-made replacement for Walker, or if Welsh/Turray are able to step up to being AFL regulars in 2026.

We will need to grab another tall forward next year, the question is whether they are a ready-made player, or a new draftee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back