Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 1: Brisbane – Levi Ashcroft, Midfield, Sandringham, 179cm (F/S Selection)

So where does Levi Ashcroft get selected in this draft? It’s quite even at the top, but he’s generally the top pick for most in 2024. But Richmond also did a pick swap with Brisbane to allow Richmond to maximise their draft hand so I could see a Nick Daicos-esque situation where the #1 player in the class falls. For now though, I’ll have the Tigers making a bid.

Ashcroft is a high intensity runner all over the field with the ability to move forward and slot goals. He isn’t quite as hyped as Harley Reid, but he can be a very special player in the AFL.

Pick 2: Richmond – Sam Lalor, Midfield/Forward, GWV Rebels, 187cm

Richmond did phenomenally. They got maximum value for Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Daniel Rioli to give themselves a draft haul that only the expansion clubs have ever seen before. And they got it in quite literally the perfect draft to do it before future drafts deal with Tasmania entering the competition.

But who becomes the centrepiece of the rebuild? Well, Sam Lalor is the early favourite for this and it’s not hard to see why. Lalor has been drawing some Dustin Martin comparisons, and you can see why with his willingness to impact the contest either in the middle or up forward.

While most of the midfielders in this group are athletically gifted, Lalor is one who loves the physical side of the game.

Pick 3: North Melbourne – Jagga Smith, Midfield, Oakleigh, 181cm

North brought in a lot of experience but really have to break up this #2 pick given they only have pick #62 after this. Even worse, there’s no key position prospect worth taking in this point of the draft, but as the rule says we just aren’t going to be doing trades here.

So with that in mind I’m going for the best player available for me and that’s Jagga Smith, the hyper-consistent ball magnet from Oakleigh who’s been breaking games open at will in 2024 and racked up as many as 50 disposals in a game in the Coates Talent League. A natural leader and captain for Oakleigh, he’s a big favourite to go #1 overall.

Pick 4: Carlton – Finn O’Sullivan, Midfield, Oakleigh, 182cm

The heavy rumour is Carlton went aggressive into moving up to select Finn O’Sullivan, an exciting midfielder who’s been emulating his game on Sam Walsh and Isaac Heeney.

A stronger runner with an excellent grab of the footy and a good head for the game, injuries somewhat blunted his 2024 but a fresh start in 2025 could see teams remembering why he was so highly touted in an already excellent class of midfielders. While O’Sullivan was considered the consensus #1 prospect (other than perhaps Ashcroft) 12 months ago and he’s not quite there now, he’s still a chance to go at the top spot to Richmond.

Pick 5: Adelaide – Sid Draper, Midfield, South Adelaide, 180cm

Sid Draper to the Crows is one of those picks that just makes too much sense. Midfield is a big need for the club, Draper is the top SA talent on the board and there’s been no secret of the love the club has for the talented player.

Draper is a born leader, captaining South Australia’s U/18 side this year. He also was the captain of South Adelaide’s U/18 team that won the title last year and was best afield in the decider. He works relentlessly, and can hit the scoreboard and already has some impressive results against older players averaging 22 disposals and five clearances for South Adelaide’s senior side.

We tried to get stars to take less than their market value because we didn't manage the salary cap properly.

That was a while back, they have adjusted how they do it really nicely in the last few years. There are some exceptions Cough bus driver Laird cough but the smart way we have structured ourselves to have money to grab people has worked really well.

Not going into details here but I like the way Reid has set us up to have a competitive side

That was a while back, they have adjusted how they do it really nicely in the last few years. There are some exceptions Cough bus driver Laird cough but the smart way we have structured ourselves to have money to grab people has worked really well.

Not going into details here but I like the way Reid has set us up to have a competitive side

Got to pay off next year (or at least show signs) or we will be in no mans land for a long time....

I was referring to when our player retention was bad in the late 2010s. A lot of that stemmed from being either unwilling or unable to pay players their market rate. Lever and Cameron come to mind. Lyons and Gov too though I wouldn't refer to them as stars. The club culture treated younger players like apprentices who had to "do their time".

I was referring to when our player retention was bad in the late 2010s. A lot of that stemmed from being either unwilling or unable to pay players their market rate. Lever and Cameron come to mind. Lyons and Gov too though I wouldn't refer to them as stars. The club culture treated younger players like apprentices who had to "do their time".
why are you going back that far into history for? Those days are long gone. We've moved on and now even have players choosing us over other teams. Our young want to be here. Their contracts reflect this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back