Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we need Tex to he replaced with another Tex? Do you seriously reckon we’ve designed the perfect structure/system and it’s just a matter of replacing existing pieces with better versions of the same thing. TT, Fog and a good quality lead up 3rd tall type seems enough in terms of the 190cm+ guys.
It's more Tex helping to fill the void should Fog/TT miss. If those guys are in, you're not needing to replace Walker with another Walker, a mobile 3rd tall would be fine too - which Walsh might be capable of doing but I don't imagine for 22 games next season.

I just don't think Welsh is ever replacing Tex, he's most likely a 3rd tall at AFL level not a KPF IMO.
We’ll never replace Tex though, his skill set is so unique among key forwards.

His role though is replaced (just not to the same standard) by Fog or TT and then Welsh will hopefully complement those 2 moving forward.

In fairness to Tex , coaches were clearly spooked after the GCS game and rushed him back while still clearly being unfit. When he’s looked fit he’s still a dangerous forward and very good at directing out there.

The injury to TT has meant they’ve played him more often than they should have, and our midfield needs to be able to utilise other players in the forward line not become completely Tex focused .

If he can get fit again, him playing 15-18 games next year while developing Welsh at the same time is a positive.

I think the mids being Tex focussed is a feature not a flaw though. Even whilst not being right, our strategy is still largely Tex directing players to leave the lane open to him. And I’m not sure how Welsh being directed to not lead at the ball carrier will help him develop. I’d rather he develop as part of a 3 prong forward system that will be our next competing group. Being part of a 4 prong system directed by Tex will see him in the 2s all year or supporters wondering why he can’t get the ball.

That said, if he returns to good physical nick and the decision is made post draft/trade periods, then i’d be comfortable him going around again. But I’d be telling him that we won’t be offering anything till then.

Last edited:
I just don't think Welsh is ever replacing Tex, he's most likely a 3rd tall at AFL level not a KPF IMO.

Why would he have to replace Tex? TT and Fog continue playing their roles and Welsh becomes whatever he becomes. Are we saying that we keep extending Tex until we’ve got an exact like for like in terms of both quality and playing style? McLeod and Roo would still be playing based on that idiotic strategy.

It's more Tex helping to fill the void should Fog/TT miss. If those guys are in, you're not needing to replace Walker with another Walker, a mobile 3rd tall would be fine too - which Walsh might be capable of doing but I don't imagine for 22 games next season.

So if he’s demanding 3 years, do you offer it?

We’ll never replace Tex though, his skill set is so unique among key forwards.

His role though is replaced (just not to the same standard) by Fog or TT and then Welsh will hopefully complement those 2 moving forward.

You know what they say, graveyards are full of indispensable people. Extending Tex based upon anything other than what he delivers as a footballer is stupidity. It’s time that we became Dawson’s team and we put the Tex/Sloane leadership years behind us. Tex has no value to our next flag, unless he gets right, gets an extension and we win it next year with him playing well.

Why do we need Tex to he replaced with another Tex? Do you seriously reckon we’ve designed the perfect structure/system and it’s just a matter of replacing existing pieces with better versions of the same thing. TT, Fog and a good quality lead up 3rd tall type seems enough in terms of the 190cm+ guys.
Play Gollant till Welsh matures.

Or even Cook.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was, but this year he is walking laps because he can't run.

What does next year bring us, Welsh wheeling him around the oval in a wheelbarrow?

This isn't about us putting games into Burgess, that is what the clappers use as an excuse, six months after saying that Burgess would provide the same output as Thilthorpe. At what stage do we move forward?
I don't think anyone is saying that if his body is no good he should play on. But it let him play at AA level last year, it would seem he is not that banged up.

For what it is worth, I actually think the logical thing for our rebuild would be for Tex not to play on. But with the way this rebuild is gone, I don't have any faith in them doing anything more than rolling out a permanent small forward trio of Keays, Murphy and McHenry with the vacated spot. And if it makes me a 'happy clapper' cause I would rather see a few Tex highlights and involvement in scoring chains than something along those lines, so be it.

As for when do we move on, I think it is when we put some key pillars and depth with better skills and decision making around Dawson, Rankine, Michalaney, Soligio, Nankervis, Worrell, Fog, and Thilthorpe (maybe harsh on a couple of guys not adding them here).

I thought it was interesting after they played us Amartey was interviewed in the rooms.
He said he loves playing for Horse, he coaches you to play to your strengths and gives you confidence.

Absolute opposite to Crows development.
Amartey would probably be playing as a defender in the SANFL to learn leading patterns
Honestly, in the quagmire of shit things happening at our club at the moment, I think this is our most significant issue right now. We are just not developing and playing our players in the positions that they are best at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So wait, who’s replacing Tex in our forward line next year? Hate to break it to y’all, but year 1 Welsh won’t be able to last 23 games. We trusting Burgess/Gollant/Borlase in that role again?

If Tex does decide to retire (fair enough if he does), we need to find a 3rd tall via trade (McInnes from the Pies?)

So wait, who’s replacing Tex in our forward line next year? Hate to break it to y’all, but year 1 Welsh won’t be able to last 23 games. We trusting Burgess/Gollant/Borlase in that role again?

If Tex does decide to retire (fair enough if he does), we need to find a 3rd tall via trade (McInnes from the Pies?)
Hopefully Toby Murray comes on rapidly

Play Gollant till Welsh matures.

Or even Cook.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Play Gollant, who is so bad that they've been forced to use Borlase in the forward line? The same Borlase whose goal kicking makes ROB look like Plugger Lockett?

There’s 1cm between them. Play a very similar game, lead up forwards with strength and good kicking.
Unless you know something that's not available publically until after the draft combine Welsh was 191cm when measured during the preseason? Tex has always been registered at 194cm. I seriously doubt Welsh unless he grows some will play KPF at AFL personally, more the 3rd tall or even a Jake Stringer type role.

Folks putting any faith in welsh to be a contributor in any way over the next 2-3 years is crazy.

He has some serious skills but at this stage struggles to find the ball more than half a dozen times per game.

He’d get crucified by the supporter base for that in the afl side.

He has a lot of learning to do before he is afl ready.

Back