Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He was All-Australian last year mate, and Keays and Murphy aren't in the side because of Tex. I couldn't care less about past glories - certainly don't look back fondly on the last 8 years of the club. But yeah sure, we could bring in another guy like Burgess to play the games Tex would have played next year, or another bad draft choice with no weapons. And of course both of these would be 'enabled' by the Apricot slice brigade, not the work of recruiting or list management.

He was, but this year he is walking laps because he can't run.

What does next year bring us, Welsh wheeling him around the oval in a wheelbarrow?

This isn't about us putting games into Burgess, that is what the clappers use as an excuse, six months after saying that Burgess would provide the same output as Thilthorpe. At what stage do we move forward?

Is he ready to play at AFL level? I haven't seen any of his SANFL games but the stats don't suggest he's doing a whole lot - not that one should expect him to at his age either. And given talk seems to be he's more of a 3rd tall build, especially in his first first seasons I don't see him covering Fog/TT if they're out.
RT and Fog are our main

Burgess or Himm (if he stays) are cover for them

I noted elsewhere where I see Welsh and how I would use him 1st year.

Get talent in. Having Tex means Welsh wont play until 2026

RT and Fog are our main

Burgess or Himm (if he stays) are cover for them

I noted elsewhere where I see Welsh and how I would use him 1st year.

Get talent in. Having Tex means Welsh wont play until 2026
Welsh won’t play (any meaningful role) until at the very least 2026 anyway, regardless of Tex. It’s just the way with 1st year tall forwards not named Nick Riewoldt. Himmelberg is out the door. Burgess is a park footballer.

Getting talent in are easy words to say but there’s a practical application to it, either they come from the draft - in which case they won’t be ready, or another club, and quality AFL tall forwards rarely get traded. Lukosious is the only one that’s a possibility but if he comes, we’ll pay more in draft picks than he’s worth or anyone wants to pay.

Tex is our best forward. Not in question. If he wants to go on, he plays another year and we should be extremely grateful as our forward line is a dumpster fire without him.

Welsh won’t play (any meaningful role) until at the very least 2026 anyway, regardless of Tex. It’s just the way with 1st year tall forwards not named Nick Riewoldt. Himmelberg is out the door. Burgess is a park footballer.

Getting talent in are easy words to say but there’s a practical application to it, either they come from the draft - in which case they won’t be ready, or another club, and quality AFL tall forwards rarely get traded. Lukosious is the only one that’s a possibility but if he comes, we’ll pay more in draft picks than he’s worth or anyone wants to pay.

Tex is our best forward. Not in question. If he wants to go on, he plays another year and we should be extremely grateful as our forward line is a dumpster fire without him.
Tex is a unique case given the position he plays, imo there’s not much point keeping him if he can’t play the majority of games, it looks as if that point has tipped this year.
Hes an integral part of the game plan and when he misses a big chunk is missing, I’m torn because he is my favorite player and has been for 16 years.
But I feel it’s time to move forward. We’ve played with Fogarty and one other so we can play with fog and RT.

Surely if its true we’v been targetting experienced players like Danger and Yeo, let alone Sloane last year, we are giving Tex another contract

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need experienced bodies, but I don't believe the Danger story and I think the Yeo one was largely invented by his manager.

Last edited:
Surely if its true we’v been targetting experienced players like Danger and Yeo, let alone Sloane last year, we are giving Tex another contract
We've definitely got a leadership and experience vacuum

Supposedly we're trying to convince Smith to play on but he's not sure

Welsh isn't a tall forward at AFL level.

Spot on .....Welsh isn't playing any meaningful role till 2026

If Tex plays 12-15 games next year .....I'm happy with that type of contribution, and IMO 2026 will be prime time for Thilthorpe

Really, is there any harm retaining Tex for one more year ....I can't see it

I am happy for him to play on as the he guys a special talent, produces plenty of highlights and makes the Crows much more fun to watch. Plenty of other issues in the rebuild besides Tex playing another season IMO.

I remember there being more problems than who we select in or 21st/22nd spot. Our supporters are elite at wanting to continue making mistakes because we’re making other ones anyway. It’s insanity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The association of players with ADEL, are purely negotiation ploys by Managers ......the tactic is prolific at the moment, look at Stengle as an example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deserves one more season

It’s kind of self fulfilling, the longer they go, the more crippled they get, the more they ‘deserve’ that one last year. The players who deserve another year are those whose form and contract expectations warrant it and there’s high confidence that will continue throughout the term. Tex is not there yet, but could turn it around if he can get his back right.

I wonder what happened to the ‘quality over quantity’ statement during the preseason? So far this season he’s tried to get selected for every game, even when hampered.

Symptomatic of the issue of the rebuild.

We should never have put Sloane on the books this year, let alone for the contract we did. We got zero return for a shitload of money.

We may have kept Smith on long enough to trigger another contract

Now everyone is OK with a guy who can't get on the park, walks laps at training because he can't run causing us to have Murphy and Keays in the side because he can't chase getting another contract around 800k because he's a special talent.

He's 35 next year and struggling, people aren't supporters, they are enablers of all that is wrong with this club, we shouldn't be a family, we should be a ****ing football club.

Apricot slice brigade has turned into the happy clappers.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved watching Tex, fav player since D Jarman/Macca but lets not pretend keeping him on is anything more than us wanting to relive past glories. If we were making the top 6 next year, sure but our list is very short of being able to afford playing a guy for 12-15 games net year because his body can't hold up.

That is what St Kilda does and I'll be damned if I think that is how I want this club to turn out to be*

*I know this is a long post Mostyn but you do not need to be concerned

Plenty of value out of Sloane, he’s migrated into the coaching box.

Is he ready to play at AFL level? I haven't seen any of his SANFL games but the stats don't suggest he's doing a whole lot - not that one should expect him to at his age either. And given talk seems to be he's more of a 3rd tall build, especially in his first first seasons I don't see him covering Fog/TT if they're out.

Why do we need Tex to he replaced with another Tex? Do you seriously reckon we’ve designed the perfect structure/system and it’s just a matter of replacing existing pieces with better versions of the same thing. TT, Fog and a good quality lead up 3rd tall type seems enough in terms of the 190cm+ guys.

We need experienced bodies, but I don't believe the Danger story and I think the Yeo one was largely invented by his manager.
Just like Tex's manager is currently inventing stories about Tex moving elsewhere if he doesn't get a deal.

Managers spread that gossip cause it often works, especially with bad teams who don't want to deal with troublesome PR like Tex declaring he wants to play and the Crows hierarchy saying "No".

He has been our best forward, he’s not now though, Fog is. Tex can’t even run, he’s below Burgess as we speak. Decisions need to be made based on the future, not the past.

Again, he still has time this season to prove his body can get right.

We've definitely got a leadership and experience vacuum

Supposedly we're trying to convince Smith to play on but he's not sure

Sounds like revisionism. Gone from backgrounding media about trigger being hit to unselectable. Whilst cracking it at being sub snd/or dropped. Now that a contract is unlikely, he’s not sure he wants one.

He has been our best forward, he’s not now though, Fog is. Tex can’t even run, he’s below Burgess as we speak. Decisions need to be made based on the future, not the past.

Again, he still has time this season to prove his body can get right.
In fairness to Tex , coaches were clearly spooked after the GCS game and rushed him back while still clearly being unfit. When he’s looked fit he’s still a dangerous forward and very good at directing out there.

The injury to TT has meant they’ve played him more often than they should have, and our midfield needs to be able to utilise other players in the forward line not become completely Tex focused .

If he can get fit again, him playing 15-18 games next year while developing Welsh at the same time is a positive.

In fairness to Tex , coaches were clearly spooked after the GCS game and rushed him back while still clearly being unfit. When he’s looked fit he’s still a dangerous forward and very good at directing out there.

The injury to TT has meant they’ve played him more often than they should have, and our midfield needs to be able to utilise other players in the forward line not become completely Tex focused .

If he can get fit again, him playing 15-18 games next year while developing Welsh at the same time is a positive.
I just don't think Welsh is ever replacing Tex, he's most likely a 3rd tall at AFL level not a KPF IMO.

Back