Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Rory Lobb ever played as a full time ruckman? I never realised he was 206cm until today's article on AFL.com

TBH I honestly don't think I've seen him play as either a Docker or Bulldog. And being a potential 4 club player is a massive red flag.

But on the other hand, 206cm agile players don't grow on trees, and you'd imagine the Dogs would probably pay half of the ham sandwich it would take to get him

Last edited:

Has been good for sure but you have to give to get and this looks like a draft we should be getting more involved in. We have precious little worth trading, a surfeit of tall defenders, Keane’s easily our weakest defensively and seems to want to be in Melbourne. Might be a win/win/win.

I don’t want to fill up the thread with stats but can’t agree with that and the eye test at least for me confirms it . Keane exceeds Buttsy easily in every stat. And if you compare his 14 games to the 17 games last year of Nick Murray , Keane’s stats are nearly double the intercepts and 60% more disposals . I understand that people may say he may be surplus as an interceptor with Worrell coming back but comparing Worrell’s excellent 12 games last year to Keane’s this year Keane stats are still better by a decent margin .

I don’t want a player playing for us if he doesn’t want to be here but sure as hell want what he is worth on the open market.
Keane’s stats this year are making AA Darcy Moore look like an amateur, Collingwood know what he is capable of imo.

edited : removed incorrect age of Worrell. per Captain Furious

Last edited:
Have we?
Thilthorpe - still unproven
Pedlar - going backwards
Rachele - a forward at pick 6?
Michalanney - tick
Curtin - another KPD? Not getting played.
Those are first round draft picks, Hamish's record since Nicks took over has been excellent. During the Pyke era it was woeful.

Assessing the last 4-5 years is difficult, as you point out many are still unproven. Two clubs that have been around where we are in draft capital;

Look at Essendon:
Cox - 8
Perkins - 9
Hobbs - 13
Tstatas - 5
Duursma - 10

Hawthorn:
DGB - 6
Ward - 7
Mackenzie - 7
Watson - 5

The range of 5-10 is absolute hit and miss. Hits can range from Serong to Butters, misses from Jones to McAsey. The problem is that if you are trading for a player inbetween, who hasn't yet made it to a hit - think Rachele - still tracking but not there.

Phillipou is in that same category - tracking to a hit, but not there.

Trading the known entity of Rankine for the pick which would have taken Humphrey or Phillipou was, in hindsight, an excellent trade. What do we learn, that a top pick is worth less than we think. It's a promise of potential.

As some point out on here, with Hamish taking our first round picks maybe we should be trading it out to improve our odds?

I don’t think people appreciate what we have in Keane as either a developing player or indeed his value if he does want to go. Call it dumb luck getting him but he has only played 24 games of AFL is 24 y/o 194 cm and pushing 100 kgs .
He is still learning the game and has intercepted as well as Jake Lever this year.
I hope we keep him but I don’t see why not a late first rounder.

View attachment 2037749

you make an interesting comparison with Lever, and I looked at Lever's overall stats and they are pretty similar (to this year) although he's done a little less (performance wise) this year.

The turnovers is what Keane needs to tighten up, as you point out he's inexperienced, but it's also the Irish element that means he hasn't had 20 years of footy prior to now.

Then again, who can forget Lever's awful clanger in the final against Carlton last year that pretty much lost them the game? Being a defender is unforgiving.

Lever also leads intercepts, slight more over his career than what is on here. This is a key stat.

They don't have goals against either, pretty hard to tell in the era of zoning but Keane seems to get punished (or was it just Amarty?).

Last edited:
I don’t want to fill up the thread with stats but can’t agree with that and the eye test at least for me confirms it . Keane exceeds Buttsy easily in every stat. And if you compare his 14 games to the 17 games last year of Nick Murray , Keane’s stats are nearly double the intercepts and 60% more disposals . I understand that people may say he may be surplus as an interceptor with Worrell coming back but comparing Worrell’s excellent 12 games last year to Keane’s this year Keane stats are still better by a decent margin and is actually 2 years younger than Josh.

I don’t want a player playing for us if he doesn’t want to be here but sure as hell want what he is worth on the open market.
Keane’s stats this year are making AA Darcy Moore look like an amateur, Collingwood know what he is capable of imo.
Worrell is younger than Keane.

When I say weakest defensively, I meant his defensive ability - like getting a bag kicked on him by a C-grade forward like Amartey.

I don’t necessarily want him to go but he’d be the one I’d leave out if we have Worrell back and all 4 available so if he wants to go and we can get a good pick, then it’s not the end of the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those are first round draft picks, Hamish's record since Nicks took over has been excellent. During the Pyke era it was woeful.

Assessing the last 4-5 years is difficult, as you point out many are still unproven. Two clubs that have been around where we are in draft capital;

Look at Essendon:
Cox - 8
Perkins - 9
Hobbs - 13
Tstatas - 5
Duursma - 10

Hawthorn:
DGB - 6
Ward - 7
Mackenzie - 7
Watson - 5

The range of 5-10 is absolute hit and miss. Hits can range from Serong to Butters, misses from Jones to McAsey. The problem is that if you are trading for a player inbetween, who hasn't yet made it to a hit - think Rachele - still tracking but not there.

Phillipou is in that same category - tracking to a hit, but not there.

Trading the known entity of Rankine for the pick which would have taken Humphrey or Phillipou was, in hindsight, an excellent trade. What do we learn, that a top pick is worth less than we think. It's a promise of potential.

As some point out on here, with Hamish taking our first round picks maybe we should be trading it out to improve our odds?
lol on one hand you’re calling Hamish last 5 years as excellent and then say assessing last 4-5 years is difficult. Then you talk about trading out our first rounders so Hamish doesn’t butcher them.

Only because we’ve got Hamish
Yes and no. He needs to be replaced sure and he has exacerbated the issue. But drafts are very speculative relative to existing AFL players. Every club has some misses in the top 10.

Unless we're looking at Harley Reid or Horne at pick 1, it gets very speculative outside of that.

Whereas players like Dawson and Rankine, you've seen them in the system for years and how they've translated their games to AFL level (strengths and weaknesses). There is far less risk in how they will develop.

There were lots of people that didn't want to part with a mid first round for Dawson (I don't wanna get into 'we could have got him for free') thinking there's a high chance we'll pick up a Butters or Day (there's a low chance).

Anyway, I think Phillipou is still fairly speculative given he's really only had one year at afl level. Still, he's talented with definite midfield potential and there's a lot more to go on than evaluating an 18 year old.

Worrell is younger than Keane.

When I say weakest defensively, I meant his defensive ability - like getting a bag kicked on him by a C-grade forward like Amartey.

I don’t necessarily want him to go but he’d be the one I’d leave out if we have Worrell back and all 4 available so if he wants to go and we can get a good pick, then it’s not the end of the world.
My mistake yes year younger.

Yes I believe he is +1 gun in the making not a lock down def .

My mistake yes year younger.

Yes I believe he is +1 gun in the making not a lock down def .
being an intercept defender doesn’t relieve a player of all defensive responsibility. Let’s not forget falling over in the contest to gift DeGoey the winner. The best thing interceptors like Andrews, Lever, Stewart are also excellent 1 on 1 players who don’t get bags kicked against them.

Rankine's finish to the season was always worth around pick 10, had he done that for the entire season then definitely worth pick 5 which he has now proven he is easily worth and arguably another pick 10 given how he has moved into the midfield.
View attachment 2037602
Anyone following Rankines junior career and seeing his talent on display in his injury interrupted first few years at GC was more than OK with pick 5 for him. What would he be worth now? Would you take pick 5 and 10 for him if offered? Not a chance in the world IMO

At the time I compared him to Jarman and McLeod in terms of the most naturally gifted skilful players to ever wear the tri colours. The man will win a Brownlow and Norm Smith by the end of the decade.

Not true, what we gave up for Dawson was a bargain.

Rankine it was about not needing to give up pick 5 to get him
Agree re Dawson. Yet you don’t #### around when you have a chance to grab potentially our greatest ever player in Rankine. Izak said he wanted GC to be fairly compensated and to try and engineer a less valuable first round pick with the chance of everything blowing up and losing him would be all time stupidity.

Surely you can sit here and say you are VERY happy with Rankine for 5? I was at the time and even more so now.

Agree re Dawson. Yet you don’t #### around when you have a chance to grab potentially our greatest ever player in Rankine. Izak said he wanted GC to be fairly compensated and to try and engineer a less valuable first round pick with the chance of everything blowing up and losing him would be all time stupidity.

Surely you can sit here and say you are VERY happy with Rankine for 5? I was at the time and even more so now.
Gold Coast could have been fairly compensated without pick 5, ultimately Rankine wants to win a flag at the Crows, losing pick 5 doesn’t help that cause.

You needed to remember that was the same year that GC were auctioning off Bowes and pick 7 as a salary dump.

I said at the time, I could have seen Port in our position working a 3 way deal there where Bowes and our F1 went to Geelong, pick 5 went to GC and Rankine and pick 7 came to us.

Do you really think Geelong would not have taken that deal to get Bowes in - our likely ladder position the following year was still predicted to miss the top 8 and by a distance (at that time) so it would be a clear top 10 pick they got and Bowes.

So did we push hard enough to get the best deal in the Rankine trade - Gold Coast were already parting with pick 7 and we could still have given them pick 5. I just think Port would have tried that.

Has Rory Lobb ever played as a full time ruckman? I never realised he was 206cm until today's article on AFL.com

TBH I honestly don't think I've seen him play as either a Docker or Bulldog. And being a potential 4 club player is a massive red flag.

But on the other hand, 206cm agile players don't grow on trees, and you'd imagine the Dogs would probably pay half of the ham sandwich it would take to get him
Lobb moved to Melbourne because of his wife's job, he will not be leaving Victoria

Back