List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you're more or less right, I was surprised.

View attachment 2030656
People are excited about Henry because he is having huge impacts in quarters or halves (Brisbane Geelong) or Games (pies) in his first year off the back of a big Hammy.

Billings was doing similar. But the last time Billings lit us up as a side was years ago - which is exactly the issue. Whatever he was looking to be. He never got there. He became a GOP on star money.

I don't ask this with any agenda other than to find out what people think.

Is everyone OK with a rival coach calling a player during the season?

Also, did any of these phone calls happen before we played Hawthorn earlier this year? IIRC Battle was one of our better players in that match.

Also, did any of these phone calls happen before we played Hawthorn earlier this year? IIRC Battle was one of our better players in that match.
Perfectly fine with it.

Our coach spoke with Stengle last week.

He caught up with Dow around the time we played Carlton last year. Is what it is these days

No. Its a very bad look.
Everything should be done through the player's manager.

I do remember Clarko going off to Las Vegas to try and pinch Carlisle from under our noses too.

Although, to contradict myself, in the case of an UFA maybe. Because its accepted that the player will be looking around anyway.

At least that was outside of the season.
I did also edit my post, probably after you replied, that maybe in the case of an UFA its a little different?

Billings is doing nothing for Melbourne though. He is not best 22, and Melbourne supporters hate him. He plays in a possession system in a role that requires him to get the ball as a link player off high half forward so of course his disposal numbers will be higher than a small forward/sporadic midfielder. Henry, when he's on, is as damaging as anyone in the team - can't say we saw any of that from Billings over the past few years. Also a 6 year age difference where Henry is 22 in a side that is built around this demographic to succeed in the next decade. They are, indeed, miles apart on current form. Just look at their average score involvements

We would've been happy to keep him last year but he wanted to leave for opportunity. Why would you send him to the draft when we potentially needed picks this year for several F/S and NGA kids? We also have a ton of salary cap space, why not pay him to get the pick instead of letting the money go to complete waste?

Additionally, our list is full so how are you going to pay another depth player to run around Sandy when we're literally not allowed to have any more players?
It sounds like your brain stuck in a loop like when a record ends…

Thank you for confirming my point though, people overrate players who come to us and rubbish the ones leaving.

Billings who is apparently crap and had only one good season has somehow managed 5+ score involvements playing 160+ games, had whole seasons of 6+ 7+ The bloke has been cruelled by injury, but is getting games in a better side than ours.

Keeping Jones has proved to be a complete waste of a spot, Allison even worse, but it's not a ****-up that will impact us long term.

No. Its a very bad look.

I do remember Clarko going off to Las Vegas to try and pinch Carlisle from under our noses too.
Well Carlisle was an Essendon player at the time. So how is what Clarko was doing any different from what the Saints were doing? We were both trying to land him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like your brain stuck in a loop like when a record ends…

Thank you for confirming my point though, people overrate players who come to us and rubbish the ones leaving.

Billings who is apparently crap and had only one good season has somehow managed 5+ score involvements playing 160+ games, had whole seasons of 6+ 7+ The bloke has been cruelled by injury, but is getting games in a better side than ours.

Keeping Jones has proved to be a complete waste of a spot, Allison even worse, but it's not a ****-up that will impact us long term.
My "brain stuck in a loop", pipe down old man, you're spinning out

Why are you talking about entire careers? You think Billings is still the same player as he was in his prime? Completely incomparable. Seb Ross averages 23 disposals across his career, more than Dow and Clark, so does that mean he should be one of our prime on-ballers?

The only stats you should be using are the ones since the trade, and statistically Henry has been much better, so objectively Henry has been better than Billings in 2024 since their respective trades. Off eye test, he's way more impactful too - no one can say Billings has been close to winning Demons any games this season while Henry won us the Pies game and changed the game against the Lions too. Billings has been fully fit all season, so if you were right, why isn't he averaging 5+ score involvements and why isn't he the good player that you're making him out to be? There's a reason why Billings is getting criticised by Dees fans.

Billings is getting games as a sub in a team that's outside the 8, I wouldn't call that much better than Henry who is entrenched into our 22 and probably one of first 10-15 selected despite being 6 years younger

No. Its a very bad look.

Although, to contradict myself, in the case of an UFA maybe. Because its accepted that the player will be looking around anyway.

Yeah, it's not necessarily bad because everyone is doing it but it's still a slippery slope. It's meant to be off limits and should probably be either scrapped as a rule and we open it up or enforce it.

Trade thread botts, past and potential future trades could be discussed at any moment. Hold on tight.

What are going to do with Melbournes 3rd rounder? 48-odd that turns into 60?
I literally just told you - we have F/S and academy kids this year who'll require late picks for us to draft. Cole looks like he's slowly climbing draft boards and Peckett is doing ok too

48 turning into 60 lmao, that type of slide only happens at the top end. All of the later picks get used up for bidding so our 3rd rounder is more likely to be earlier than blown out

maybe trying to sneak josh in on the cheap,relying on his hawks upbringing,while offering the big bucks to b.smith & josh is a wake up to it

wouldnt make me wish to see bailey get to the cats,i hate them,but would almost be worth it to see the hawks miss another 2 big targets this season

maybe trying to sneak josh in on the cheap,relying on his hawks upbringing,while offering the big bucks to b.smith & josh is a wake up to it

wouldnt make me wish to see bailey get to the cats,i hate them,but would almost be worth it to see the hawks miss another 2 big targets this season
No idea what this is.

But no one has low balled Battle. (Saints or Hawks)

Either way he is walking away with a 6 year deal and significant money

My understanding was that there was a lengthy meeting last week specifically around Battle.

Today could very well have been about Jones and Membrey - who has 2-3 suitors apparently
Welcome back to the Saints bf Stav.

Battle leaving/staying will be entirely dependent on the length of contract. We offer 5 @ 700 - 800k and the Hawks offer 6. One year doesnt sound like much but he will be at the end of his career and that is literally half a million dollars after tax, something any of us would move mountains for so its actually a big sticking point.

The club will eventually agree to terms and he will stay at the Saints which is his actual wish.

My "brain stuck in a loop", pipe down old man, you're spinning out

Why are you talking about entire careers? You think Billings is still the same player as he was in his prime? Completely incomparable. Seb Ross averages 23 disposals across his career, more than Dow and Clark, so does that mean he should be one of our prime on-ballers?

The only stats you should be using are the ones since the trade, and statistically Henry has been much better, so objectively Henry has been better than Billings in 2024 since their respective trades. Off eye test, he's way more impactful too - no one can say Billings has been close to winning Demons any games this season while Henry won us the Pies game and changed the game against the Lions too. Billings has been fully fit all season, so if you were right, why isn't he averaging 5+ score involvements and why isn't he the good player that you're making him out to be? There's a reason why Billings is getting criticised by Dees fans.

Billings is getting games as a sub in a team that's outside the 8, I wouldn't call that much better than Henry who is entrenched into our 22 and probably one of first 10-15 selected despite being 6 years younger
The old eye test, there's no reasoning with that kind of way more wankk.

If you are going to look at a players averages then it has to be full games

7 full games this year
Billings
18 disposals
3 tackles
6 marks
6.7 score involvements
291 metres gained

4 goal assists
2 goals 6 behind

Henry 8 games
13 disposals
2.6 tackles
2.6 marks
5.6 score involvements
225 metres gained
5 goal assist
6 goals 7 behind

Henry looks good, hopefully he can build consistency between his best and worst games.

All I am saying is that Billings isn't a spud as implied in here.

Battle leaving/staying will be entirely dependent on the length of contract. We offer 5 @ 700 - 800k and the Hawks offer 6. One year doesnt sound like much but he will be at the end of his career and that is literally half a million dollars after tax, something any of us would move mountains for so its actually a big sticking point.

The club will eventually agree to terms and he will stay at the Saints which is his actual wish.
The offer from us is higher then the round 2 offer quoted at 800 p/y.

If he leaves it will be for more and it will trigger band 1 either on its own or overlayed with the fact it’s 6 years and he is 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back