List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

I read that Reef McInnes might get delisted I’ve always been a fan 194 cm and only 21 years old could be worth a look
He played a similar role to Owens. Don't think we have space for another tall non-KPF type player as he doesn't look like he can play midfield.

Think he could be a good pick up but not sure he's the right fit for us.

I know Charlie Dean had his fans a few years ago, it seems he hasn't been offered a contract yet. What are the knocks on him? He seems to have solid numbers.

I know Denver-Barras has been called a list clogger on here, but I still think the natural talent is there. I think he is being unfairly dismissed by everyone. A Ross Lyon system where he needs to work his butt off could be perfect for him.

Phillips is a bit of a concern, from what I've seen in the VFL he isn't overly quick and he tends to mark in dangerous spots. Sounds weird that he can mark it and its negative but I see situations where he should punch and would be mauled by a bigger and more experienced forward in the big time.

If we think we can develop or trade (next year) a long term option, I'm not against Tomlinson as a stop gap.

Darragh Joyce was a solid back up for a premiership team this year. To say AFL rejects are useless is completely unreasonable, they are usually better than most state league players.
The order we should pursue those you've listed;

1. Tomlinson
2. take no one
3. DGB
4. Dean
5. Phillips

Perhaps.....but next season any club can just as easily draft any player we attract. So there is absolutely no draft advantage to us.

The advantage supposedly is to improve Sandy so that our younger players will better develop.

What they really need to do is to hire in some quality VFL players now in order to improve the quality. Just hoping that some decent players may join us eventually just seems pretty nebulous and illogical to me.

Even more illogical is to commit to drafting one player from only one club every year, and Moreso one as weak as Sandy is.. This to me means that you will most likely just weaken our list every year (Remember, we have no draft priority over any Sandy player, if a gun joins us then he just nominates for draft for any club to pick).
There’s a host of reasons you don’t get a lot of talent to Sandy and this agreement does very little if anything to address that.

A good place to start is paying the guys you want a decent amount of money. Who’s coming to sandy when you get paid peanuts and are dumped every time the saints have a full list to choose from. It’s a simple fact that guys can get very good money playing local football and many are mature players who’d have zero interest in being a top up player.

Think I read somewhere else that Cole might be eligible
None of the Sandy Dragons players are eligible. Sandy VFL listed players only.

I currently think it will be Hugo Hall-Kahan. Good athletic profile, plays a position we could add depth in and still only 22.

While I get concern about their quality, some of the delisted bin options being discussed arent much better. A few of the Sandy players regularly trained with us during the year and they never stood out as bad. You wouldnt have been able to guess they weren't AFL listed players unless you knew we didn't have players who wear those numbers. We know whoever is unlikely to make it and will be delisted in 12 months but every club takes players on who fill that criteria.

Last edited:

I currently think it will be Hugo Hall-Kahan. Good athletic profile, plays a position we could add depth in and still only 22.

While I get concern about their quality, some of the delisted bin options being discussed arent much better. A few of the Sandy players regularly trained with us during the year and they never stood out as bad. You wouldnt have been able to guess they were AFL listed players unless you knew we didn't have players who wear those numbers. We know whoever is unlikely to make it and will be delisted in 12 months but every club takes players on who fill that criteria.
Yeah, I think we need to get as much media attention as we can when it happens. Other players seeing a less talented player get this chance might actually have a bigger impact than if he were a gun.

Hopefully BJ does a great job with the team next year too. Might be hard without Membrey/Hayes/Allison up forward for the Zebs.

The way I see it is if we lose Membrey and gain Tomlinson it’s swapping out a solid forward for a solid back. With Battle going this seems pretty strategic/structural. Members has been great for the club but it’s time to move forward. Not sure if Tommo is in consideration but I’d take that as a win for the list. Good luck Timmy.

I was thinking about Windy the other day. What is the likelihood of him leveling up and becoming an a-grade mid? What is it that separates him from the elite mids? He seems determined enough to become more than a tagger. I know you need more than determination but what shortcomings dies he have that stop him from being elite and what is changeable to the point of becoming the next Lachie Neale rather than merely keeping Lachie Neale away from the football?
Yeah I also think Lachie Neale is the type of player he should mould his game around

Just win as much contested ball and clearance as possible - Windy has his limitations but his hard work could turn his midfield craft elite which allows him to get first hands at every opportunity

Then his fitness will allow him to get from contest to contest

I know Charlie Dean had his fans a few years ago, it seems he hasn't been offered a contract yet. What are the knocks on him? He seems to have solid numbers.

I know Denver-Barras has been called a list clogger on here, but I still think the natural talent is there. I think he is being unfairly dismissed by everyone. A Ross Lyon system where he needs to work his butt off could be perfect for him.

Phillips is a bit of a concern, from what I've seen in the VFL he isn't overly quick and he tends to mark in dangerous spots. Sounds weird that he can mark it and its negative but I see situations where he should punch and would be mauled by a bigger and more experienced forward in the big time.

If we think we can develop or trade (next year) a long term option, I'm not against Tomlinson as a stop gap.

Darragh Joyce was a solid back up for a premiership team this year. To say AFL rejects are useless is completely unreasonable, they are usually better than most state league players.

Pretty sure Charlie Dean is a more injury prone player than Jack Hayes even. Not sure on DGB, I asked my mate who follows them when he was delisted and he reckons he won't make it. Not competitive enough and a bit half in.

He played a similar role to Owens. Don't think we have space for another tall non-KPF type player as he doesn't look like he can play midfield.

Think he could be a good pick up but not sure he's the right fit for us.
If we looked at him I would hope that we see a potential 3rd tall defender in him. Otherwise it’s a pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a host of reasons you don’t get a lot of talent to Sandy and this agreement does very little if anything to address that.

A good place to start is paying the guys you want a decent amount of money. Who’s coming to sandy when you get paid peanuts and are dumped every time the saints have a full list to choose from. It’s a simple fact that guys can get very good money playing local football and many are mature players who’d have zero interest in being a top up player.
This applies to all the alignment Clubs though, and Sandy continue to be among the worst of them year in year out.

This applies to all the alignment Clubs though, and Sandy continue to be among the worst of them year in year out.

We don't spend money on the VFL players. Get Dom Brew level guys, Hudson Garoni, Trudgeon and Will Snelling types and you instantly have a better side.

I forgot about the 31. That’s surely one of the worst trades we’ve ever done (and we’ve a dump truck of bad ones)
Even for two decades ago it was miserable. Brookes seemed a talent and may have made a good player, but did an acl and it destroyed his confidence.

Salopek was a mad Saints fan who wasn't spectacular but was very good for Port. Career wrecked by a shoulder.

Push comes to shove in list spots, which it will, I would fully support the club backflipping in this crazy agreement with Sandringham.

An agreement which they have not held up their end of the bargain by providing any viable options. Is it worth losing a Membrey, Hayes, Crouch, Hotton, Paton who are very worthy of a list spot just for a fake 9 month contract? No, it is not.

Is it worth the vitriol we would cop for reneging? This year.. yes. And who cares about being disliked at this point..

People will say “build it and they will come” and sure I get it. But like any great policy or rule, there are regulations and checks and we need to have a minimum standard or some caveats to avoid the impending shotgun to the foot this year.

I understand the concept but it is just too detrimental and in its infancy to fully back it.

Think we should come out and say we’re not doing it this year and will reconsider next year. Looks far worse if we try and fudge it
And make them play in the red white and black as well or tell them to F Off!

We should not draft any stop gap players at all.
All that achieves is stops a young guy getting experience and possibly helps us to a couple more wins for the year. We are not winning the flag next year we are not even close to it, so the couple of extra wins just means we get poorer draft picks to keep rebuilding.

Push comes to shove in list spots, which it will, I would fully support the club backflipping in this crazy agreement with Sandringham.

An agreement which they have not held up their end of the bargain by providing any viable options. Is it worth losing a Membrey, Hayes, Crouch, Hotton, Paton who are very worthy of a list spot just for a fake 9 month contract? No, it is not.

Is it worth the vitriol we would cop for reneging? This year.. yes. And who cares about being disliked at this point..

People will say “build it and they will come” and sure I get it. But like any great policy or rule, there are regulations and checks and we need to have a minimum standard or some caveats to avoid the impending shotgun to the foot this year.

I understand the concept but it is just too detrimental and in its infancy to fully back it.

Think we should come out and say we’re not doing it this year and will reconsider next year. Looks far worse if we try and fudge it
Totally agree.
No point blowing up a spot just to give some undeserving spud 🥔 a free ride.
There shouldn’t be any issue with saying to the Sandy board sorry but no one is just good enough. Lift your game and start bringing in some decent players.

While I get concern about their quality, some of the delisted bin options being discussed arent much better. A few of the Sandy players regularly trained with us during the year and they never stood out as bad. You wouldnt have been able to guess they weren't AFL listed players unless you knew we didn't have players who wear those numbers. We know whoever is unlikely to make it and will be delisted in 12 months but every club takes players on who fill that criteria.

Hall-Kahan might be ok, but we have plenty of players who can rotate through the forward flanks already. Plus we can expect a couple of the new kids will require exposure through there also. He didnt do anything outstanding this year at VFL, but he does work hard and covers plenty of ground as a high half forward.

Personally if Sandringham dont accept the NGA/FS kids as qualifying the Saints should abandon the agreement. Based on the reality that Sandi simply failed to attract any decent talent. It has been mentioned above but Sandringham dont have the financial resources to attract the decent VFL standard players or prospective AFL talent. Who wants to play for a club and not be gauranteed a spot, havent played finals for an eternity and get paid less coin - answer no one.

Once again it is the worst alliance in the competition for both clubs outcomes - something has to change.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back