List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

Not every delisted player is 'worth a punt', 'worth a crack'.
Thanks for the input Kizzler, you seem to be pretty engaged with all of my posts despite calling them dribble. Don't recall saying every delisted player is worth a crack. I still think we need another pressure small - med fwd an often forgotten about role at draft time. Dan butler isn't going to be around forever and Collard/Hotton are far from sure-things. I'd be looking around now.

This applies to all the alignment Clubs though, and Sandy continue to be among the worst of them year in year out.
I don’t think Sandy recruit very well as I know of players who were playing at local clubs but ended up at other vfl clubs. One example is Lefau who was a st Kilda city player, he was driving past sandy to train at Richmond.

It’s also a wealthy area full of old boys teams in the vafa who have a great comp with history and mateship as a big draw. You won’t find too many vafa teams out west or in the north. There’s also the reality that many of the guys who have played for us and might be useful at sandy wind up at the stand alone Port and Frankston because they want to play every week. Anyway that’s why I said there are a host of reasons imo it’s all those things and more which impact sandy more than other teams.

Bottom line still remains from a st Kilda perspective what are Sandy there to do, what are we looking for in this partnership. Number 1 is the development of our players and systems, where do you think sandy winning flags rates ?. Imo sandy would have played finals this year if we’d had a decent run with injuries so it really wasn’t a bad year.

We need mature backup, not another Collard

Curtis Taylor or even a guy like Hewago Oea are the ones to be looking at imo
Dragons boy we’d have had a good look at him, I wouldn’t be surprised if we had some interest. Played some midfield as well and is hard at it, Ross might like him. It wouldn’t surprise me if he got an invite to train with us.

Thanks for the input Kizzler, you seem to be pretty engaged with all of my posts despite calling them dribble. Don't recall saying every delisted player is worth a crack. I still think we need another pressure small - med fwd an often forgotten about role at draft time. Dan butler isn't going to be around forever and Collard/Hotton are far from sure-things. I'd be looking around now.
182cm is not a medium-forward in my book, definitely a small.

Butler is signed until the end of 2026, not forever, but certainly long enough to not need to risk picking up a bloke who was delisted with one game from the Bulldogs.

Collard is a 19-year-old first round draft pick, who has signed a three-year contract. Yeah he might not make it, but again, why would we pick up Clarke when spots are tight on are list?

Finally, Clarke couldn't get a game when Weightman and West were out and Arthur Jones was picked ahead of him. Enough said.

I think it's pretty clear what types of players we are looking for. I reckon even you can figure that out.

Your posts are engaging. Engagingly hilarious. They deserve a laugh. Not a decent response like this.

He’s got four boys, Louis, the eldest, has dominated footy since Auskick!
Louie dominated U15 rep carnival this year for EAstern. He backed that up with a super SSV u/15s carnival…and was All Australian

Hall-Kahan might be ok, but we have plenty of players who can rotate through the forward flanks already. Plus we can expect a couple of the new kids will require exposure through there also. He didnt do anything outstanding this year at VFL, but he does work hard and covers plenty of ground as a high half forward.

Personally if Sandringham dont accept the NGA/FS kids as qualifying the Saints should abandon the agreement. Based on the reality that Sandi simply failed to attract any decent talent. It has been mentioned above but Sandringham dont have the financial resources to attract the decent VFL standard players or prospective AFL talent. Who wants to play for a club and not be gauranteed a spot, havent played finals for an eternity and get paid less coin - answer no one.

Once again it is the worst alliance in the competition for both clubs outcomes - something has to change.
Totally agree. If you have one spot the guarantees a crack at AFL level, surely your attracting the best players in the state to come for a season or two. There are better players in the Bendigo Football League than there is playing for Sandy, let alone the rest of the state. The only thing is I suppose is that country footy has more cash to splash on some of these players, so they’d probably rather take that and live the good life.

Perhaps.....but next season any club can just as easily draft any player we attract. So there is absolutely no draft advantage to us.

The advantage supposedly is to improve Sandy so that our younger players will better develop.

What they really need to do is to hire in some quality VFL players now in order to improve the quality. Just hoping that some decent players may join us eventually just seems pretty nebulous and illogical to me.

Even more illogical is to commit to drafting one player from only one club every year, and Moreso one as weak as Sandy is.. This to me means that you will most likely just weaken our list every year (Remember, we have no draft priority over any Sandy player, if a gun joins us then he just nominates for draft for any club to pick).
Yep, agree. The “rationale” will never end …

So that we don’t look like we are half assing the agreement, guess what has to happen next? Some junk fella who undeservedly is on our list. But if we keep delisting them after one year the arrangement will also be seen as breaching the spirit of the agreement or players know that they’ll only get a year, …. So they then get two years….

And so on.

Hipwell, Watson, Vesely, Lowe, Hall-Kahan, Benier were the names mentioned. Specifically mentioned Lachie Voss was ineligible as he wasn't Sandy-listed (playing with Dragons). Assume the same applies to Hofmann and Cole etc
Voss would have been the only one that I’d consider.

Can we rookie the coach? Batchelor might be a better shot .. or maybe Goddard beats the cut off point and we can find a spot for him on a HBF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in Japan, can't go to games, over rely on SEN Breakfast (homesick. or just sick) , etc., etc.. When I hear Garry Lyon say Windy is a certain level, I believe it. Now, I am wondering whether Windy has gone from 'Star territory' to 'Also ran' territory. Better than Bytel, more potential than Ronnie Byrnes? Not expecting an AA Jacket, but what the f do I know? He was all the buzz in 2023. Ditto Mitchito.

One option is to believe he had some untimely injuries this year.
Windy was excellent early in the year and was then injured. I think he has the determination and skill set to be above a GOP. He’s probably not a star, but he’s one of a growing number of good kids.

And we could easily chalk Owens down to external circumstances and a dollop of second year blues (as he barely played in year 1).

None of the Sandy Dragons players are eligible. Sandy VFL listed players only.

I currently think it will be Hugo Hall-Kahan. Good athletic profile, plays a position we could add depth in and still only 22.

While I get concern about their quality, some of the delisted bin options being discussed arent much better. A few of the Sandy players regularly trained with us during the year and they never stood out as bad. You wouldnt have been able to guess they weren't AFL listed players unless you knew we didn't have players who wear those numbers. We know whoever is unlikely to make it and will be delisted in 12 months but every club takes players on who fill that criteria.
I don’t see it at all with Hall Kahan. Delisted once and then he was pretty average at Sandy.

182cm is not a medium-forward in my book, definitely a small.

Butler is signed until the end of 2026, not forever, but certainly long enough to not need to risk picking up a bloke who was delisted with one game from the Bulldogs.

Collard is a 19-year-old first round draft pick, who has signed a three-year contract. Yeah he might not make it, but again, why would we pick up Clarke when spots are tight on are list?

Finally, Clarke couldn't get a game when Weightman and West were out and Arthur Jones was picked ahead of him. Enough said.

I think it's pretty clear what types of players we are looking for. I reckon even you can figure that out.

Your posts are engaging. Engagingly hilarious. They deserve a laugh. Not a decent response like this.

Sounds like you’ve got it covered you must work in the list management space then? I wouldn’t be using Bevos selections as any way to discredit a player. Arthur Jones is a talented player. Collard is a flight risk regardless of contract as we have seen this year. Theres no risk associated with DFA other than list spots.

I’d also ask the question of Charlie Dean for our key back stocks. He’s a good kid. I’ve heard that Collingwood will try to re-rookie him in the preseason draft. We can do a Bonner and get him ahead of them after we have prioritised our national draft selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back