List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh the Sandy senior players are now worse than previously. We at least had guys like Cook, Mitch Brown, etc. Sandy’s better year this year was driven by St Kilda’s better depth. As evident by the poster that noted there wasn’t a BnF vote by a single non listed player.

What? That's not true.

1. Tom Campbell - 65 votes
2. Angus McLennan - 49 votes
3. Max Heath - 42 votes
4. Tom Blamires, Hugo Garcia, and Oliver Lowe - 41 votes
7. Darby Hipwell - 40 votes
8. Liam O’Connell - 38 votes
9. Hugo Hall-Kahan and Blake Watson - 37 votes

Unless you mean the Saints B&F in which case it's probably not surprising no Sandy players got votes.

What? That's not true.

3. Max Heath - 42 votes

Unless you mean the Saints B&F in which case it's probably not surprising no Sandy players got votes.
If they didn't win the B&F for a team they didn't play for they're a list clogger, plain and simple.

This is a bit more of a generic view

It’s more practically related to someone like Hotton or Hayes who will need to be delisted as a result.
Yes and there in lays the short term sacrifice. 3 weeks ago no one had a problem with delisting them so it's not a valid argument to pose them as a cost. It only means that 1 guy who is on the very edge of delisting anyway will be on the wrong side of the line come October.

Thats great but like any partnership its a two way street!

Sandringham have NOT attracted one player of AFL deserving standard for years and it didnt change with the Saints dangling a rookie carrot. Why should we be expected to take an obvious sub standard player in the year of a super draft, when they havent looked like holding up their end of the agreement.

Surely common sense has to come has to come into play - Sandringham are a poorly run and financially struggling VFL club we couldnt have got into bed with a worse match. Either the Saints need to enact a complete take over of Sandringham or walk away and run there own VFL team.

What are you laughing at? Your inability to read and your lack of basic comprehension?

The reason we are uncompetitive is because we don't pay for quality players. We top up with kids and cheapies.

I'm not talking anything about the rookie deal. Generally Sandy are shit because if we have injuries to our St Kilda listed players the talent pool is super thin.

If you want kids to learn to play in a competitive second tier side you fund the top ups better or at least older second tier talent.

It's nice that basic people get to post like the rest of us but having to respond to you is tiresome.
It’s Sandy in Name and Heritage.

The St Kilda Fc effectively run everything else.

If you both can’t seem to understand how a relationship like this works and that it needs to be judged in time & not one recruiting period.

And paying for players is irrelevant - this is effectively a one season commitment and any half decent talent gets to show they are good enough for an AFL listed spot. If we hold up our end of the deal - effectively better talent should come next season. Simultaneously next time you see some hero claim they are good enough, send them to TBO to have a crack.

The reason the club doesn’t fund further top ups is because it prevents its listed kids getting priority on development onfield. Imagine 3 star midfielders running around when Pou got dropped…

Last edited:
With this deal we can’t hide them in local leagues. They have to play in the VFL, which is part of the problem.
In the contrary. What we have done with the Benier (spelling?) shows you can.

Get a kid like that to play half a season and they can be buried back at Parkdale vultures as an example.

We needed a gateway/link to attract the players. This season showed a different level of thinking that shows some value for the club.

What? That's not true.

3. Max Heath - 42 votes

Ha ha, yep, lazy that they couldn’t vote in games they didn’t play in 😂. Soz, I must have misunderstood.

Get a kid like that to play half a season and they can be buried back at Parkdale vultures as an example.

We needed a gateway/link to attract the players. This season showed a different level of thinking that shows some value for the club.
Are you suggesting the club saw enough in Benier. Then hid him in a suburban league and are now destined to take him as our Sandy listed player?

What are you laughing at? Your inability to read and your lack of basic comprehension?

The reason we are uncompetitive is because we don't pay for quality players. We top up with kids and cheapies.

I'm not talking anything about the rookie deal. Generally Sandy are shit because if we have injuries to our St Kilda listed players the talent pool is super thin.

If you want kids to learn to play in a competitive second tier side you fund the top ups better or at least older second tier talent.

It's nice that basic people get to post like the rest of us but having to respond to you is tiresome.
I hear what you’re saying but It’s hard to attract “better” second tier players when those players can get more money playing local leagues than the vfl. Most of the better vfl players are getting between $1700 and $2k( some might get a little more) per game whereas in local leagues the better players can get $2.5k to $3k as well as job incentives.

The lure of playing vfl is to obviously get drafted but most will take the money

How I’m hoping we set up

OUT (8) Battle, Ross, Bonner, Van Es, Allison, Campbell, Membrey, Paton

Pick Trade 1 - STK P7, P8 for NM P2, F2

Pick Trade 2 - STK F1 (7) F2 (25) for FREM P14 FREM F3 (45)

IN (8) Macrae, O’Sullivan (2), Hotton (14), Dodson/Sims/Gerreyn (32), Ough (47), Hofmann (R), Cole (R), Peckett (R)

*We retain Hotton, Hayes on 1 year deals unless we find a more practical DFA or collect another draft pick.

Would’ve preferred to keep Membrey but ship looks to have sailed. Hotton pretty lucky but another year is fair enough all things considered.

People will say let’s do the freo trade first and try and keep 7 by packaging 8,14 but that’s not going to get us pick 2 I don’t think. Can always ask North but more likely we do the above trades.

Following above, St.Kilda Rd 1 2025

FB: Caminiti Wilkie Webster
HB: Wanganeen-Milera Howard Sinclair
CR: Hill Steele Wood
HF: Wilson King Henry
FF: Owens Sharman Higgins
RK: Marshall Macrae Phillipou
IN: O’Sullivan Windhager Shoenmaker Garcia Clark

EM: Hotton Hotton Heath Butler Keeler Hastie Collard Hofmann Jones Byrnes Dow Stocker Cordy Hall O’Connell McLennan Cole Peckett Gerreyn Ough Hayes*

2025 Draft Hand; NM R2 (20), STK R3 (43), FREM R3 (45), STK R4 (61)

It will not be good to start off with for sure , but let's hope the idea works - a lot of delisted players could well make there way to the Zebras.

If you both can’t seem to understand how a relationship like this works and that it needs to be judged in time & not one recruiting period.

And paying for players is irrelevant - this is effectively a one season commitment and any half decent talent gets to show they are good enough for an AFL listed spot. If we hold up our end of the deal - effectively better talent should come next season. Simultaneously next time you see some hero claim they are good enough, send them to TBO to have a crack.

The reason the club doesn’t fund further top ups is because it prevents its listed kids getting priority on development onfield. Imagine 3 star midfield running around when Pou got dropped…
Its a fine line. Sandy being perennially ordinary doesn't help our kids development either

What? That's not true.

3. Max Heath - 42 votes

I hope by now everyone realises the OP related to the JJ Liston (VFL B&F) voting, in which whoever said Hipwell was the only one to get votes - was correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandy being ordinary is just as much related to the lack of talent we had have running around
Saints or Sandy?

So its a balance. Bring in good players but have to tell them "if the Saints have a full list theres probably only 3-4 spots for Sandy players" . Doesnt help.

How do other alignment sides manage to be so much better than us?

Saints or Sandy?

So its a balance. Bring in good players but have to tell them "if the Saints have a full list theres probably only 3-4 spots for Sandy players" . Doesnt help.

How do other alignment sides manage to be so much better than us?
This current offering is the right balance.

Being an afl listed player is more than being a stud full forward or on baller.

Attitude. Application to the task. Mentality etc

Are all just as important - hence why the Sandy coach is a stkilda employee.

You bring these guys in and they need to work around what we are developing. It wouldn’t be any different if posters believe they played at Moorabbin under the saints name and colours.

Box hill is successful because the hawks have shown a pathway for that external talent.

Sometimes your No 1 Pick turns out to be a dud so that doesn't mean we tell the AFL that we don't want any first rounders any more simply because it may not work out occasionally.

7 of our list did not play a game last year so having one of those come of this years Sandy list is not going to make any difference.

That seems silly given we're set to get Hofmann. We have sooo many medium defenders with McLennan and Hastie also coming through

I'd take Hugo Hall-Kahan, I don't like his work ethic but he has talent and at least fills a list need in small forward depth
I think it will be one of the NGA boys who have -played at Sandy during the year.
A technicality,yes I know ,but the existing talent is just not worthy.
But then again we are Stkilda and anything could happen

Benier was on full display for old Brighton in the televised vafa grand final where he wasn’t in the best players. I’m not sure how you think he was buried but he wasn’t and isn’t up to to much imo.

The sandy rookie is a bad joke imo and brings us and sandy no benefit at all. The president identified our need to draft more locals, couldn’t agree more when it’s all things being equal draft local, but he was talking about the dragons.

To say the zebras rookie is drawing a long bow with little to no benefit to either club is stating the bleeding obvious. It should be knocked on the head right now, amateur hour when we keep a list spot open and fill it not with the best player but with a sandy listed player.

It’s not designed to fund top ups 😂

The link and Rookie offer is supposed to entice the young stars that missed out in the U18s or the best from leagues like the Smnl EFL Vafa etc

The club needs to take a zebs player and not look for a loophole this year and show that it is genuine in its offering.
Show me the money, show me the u18’s talent we’ve managed to keep.

The reason the club doesn’t fund further top ups is because it prevents its listed kids getting priority on development onfield. Imagine 3 star midfielders running around when Pou got dropped…
Excellent post, Hawthorn mined Box Hill and the Jai Newcombe types decided to come, the rest is history. We should absolutely be drafting a Sandy player every year, until we catch a beauty.

That seems silly given we're set to get Hofmann. We have sooo many medium defenders with McLennan and Hastie also coming through

I'd take Hugo Hall-Kahan, I don't like his work ethic but he has talent and at least fills a list need in small forward depth

Last thing I’d do is take a guy who doesn’t work hard enough. Sets a terrible example. Take a guy who works hard but is limited like Hipwell imo.

I wonder if he is projected for the top 50? Geelong have pick 45, Saints pick 47. Both need more ruck support. The ball’s in Geelong’s court.
Theoretically could we walk a state league Ruckman to the Pre-Season Draft?

Liam Jarrah was the last non-AFL player to be drafted in the pre-season draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back