List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one way of looking at it - but it's not black and white as you are making it out to be.

I'm not saying Peckett isn't good enough but let's say the club assess he is not up to it, then why pick him and waste a list spot?

If a future father-son doesn't want to come to the Saints because we didn't draft a previous father-son because we assessed they aren't good enough, then they can literally GAGF. I don't want them at the club. And I highly doubt this scenario would even happen regardless.
Agree. He may also simply be unlucky in a very deep draft whereas in other years he may well be bid on in the ND

It's more about having demonstrated the pathway for our father-sons to show those that advise them whether its managers, parents etc. "Hey if you join our father-son program and commit to it (and have enough talent) we will draft and give you shot just like Peckett". Right now we have 0 success stories.

The gold-standard obviously is Collingwood with the Peter Daicos academy and the Bulldogs. We aren't at the stage where we can just pick and choose we still have to sell it to our past players. Wakelin is a good example because he could nominate St Kilda OR Port, I'm sure there is plenty more players like that down the track Josh Battle (LOL), Brad Hill many others.

It is a long-term play for what is currently a non-existent father-son program and we are severely behind the 8 ball. I'd much rather invest a 'guaranteed' list spot to Father-son and/or Academy players than I would to our VFL listed players.
Yeah, I don't think this is a thing whatsoever, aside from in your head.

And we don't really know if Peckett has enough talent? Or if the club has assessed that he has?

Maybe you believe he does, but lucky you have nothing to do with our list management decisions.

I honestly don't know if he does have the talent, the same as you, but hope he makes it.

At the end of the day, the club is going to attract players based on its general success and strength of list, not on giving father-sons a go that may or may not be up to it.

I'm not sure there is much else we can do for our father-son program other than pray our players have sons that are good at football lol.

The only thing I agree with is that a guaranteed list spot to a father-son spud would be better than a VFL listed spud. As the VFL listed players are going to most likely get picked in the mid-season if they are any good.

Yeah, I don't think this is a thing whatsoever, aside from in your head.

And we don't really know if Peckett has enough talent? Or if the club has assessed that he has?

Maybe you believe he does, but lucky you have nothing to do with our list management decisions.

I honestly don't know if he does have the talent, the same as you, but hope he makes it.

At the end of the day, the club is going to attract players based on its general success and strength of list, not on giving father-sons a go that may or may not be up to it.

I'm not sure there is much else we can do for our father-son program other than pray our players have sons that are good at football lol.

The only thing I agree with is that a guaranteed list spot to a father-son spud would be better than a VFL listed spud. As the VFL listed players are going to most likely get picked in the mid-season if they are any good.

No we dont know what our recruiters or the club are thinking, but posters are allowed their opinions without being ridiculed.

Have you watched any of Peckett's Coates League games and his VFL outings? When he stepped up to play with Sandringham he looked really solid and I thought he would make a decent recruit. As an 18yo playing for the first time in the VFL he didnt look out of place and adapted to the speed of the game quickly. He is not a Daicos esq father son but IMO he is worthy of a rookie position.

At what age do you think other professional sports indentify and start developing junior talent. Of course these kids now benefit from our clubs development program, and player development is one key factor we did poorly for far too long.

I guess the question is should Peckett be taken over a player from our agreement with Sanrdingham. If Sandringham had a stand out player available I would say absolutely not, but they havent. Either player will only be given a rookie 1 year contract so the club has to consider who they expect has the potential for improvement and future in a full time AFL environment an 18yo kid over a 22-25yo VFL player eg Peckett vs Hipwell.

You are right only the club are in the best position to make that call, but it shouldnt prevent supporters respectfully discussing the benefits on a forum.

Last edited:

DARRAGH JOYCE DELISTED BRING HIM HOME DFA

Schwarze, handballs to Riewoldt, who ignores the short option in Wulf and instead goes long to the goal square and GEHRIG!

Voss to Schwarze for the biggest sound heard at Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back