List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

If we managed to get pick 2 from North and Richmond offered us pick 6 and 18 for it - would you take it?

End up with 6, 7 & 18.......
Would absolutely love that

Three way deal

Saints lose 8 and F1
Saints gain 6 & 18 and F2

Richmond lose 6 & 18
Richmond Gain 2

North lose 2 and F2
North Gain 8 & F1

Dont think North do that.

Would absolutely love that

Three way deal

Saints lose 8 and F1
Saints gain 6 & 18 and F2

Richmond lose 6 & 18
Richmond Gain 2

North lose 2 and F2
North Gain 8 & F1

Dont think North do that.
Was actually thinking of it as two stand-alone deals run by us. Make a deal that is acceptable to North, then we hold the P2 that Richmond want! Makes it a better chance for us to extract maximum value for it in a second deal, and we win either way - if Richmond won't pony up 6 and something decent for pick 2 then we go to the draft with pick 2 and 7 !!

An F1 to go up a few spots worries me.
It's not just to go up a few spots, it puts us in the window to grab two of the top rated mids in this draft and then gives a late F1 pick as well!!

Or if we can get P2 from North, we just go in with 2 and 7. It's highly likely on draft night that we could get a lucrative offer for 7 under those circumstances!!

It's not just to go up a few spots, it puts us in the window to grab two of the top rated mids in this draft and then gives a late F1 pick as well!!

Or if we can get P2 from North, we just go in with 2 and 7. It's highly likely on draft night that we could get a lucrative offer for 7 under those circumstances!!
The mids in this draft seem very even. The rankings have fluctuated throughout the year. I'd rather just hold what we have and see who falls, look what happened with Pou.

Max Knobel (son of Saints superstar Trent) just delisted by Freo...
This is one I can get behind

I really liked this kid in his draft year - raw 206cm ruckman with a ton of upside. Great size and can play forward, which is really appealing considering the lack of versatile rucks in this year's player movement period

Also means we are less inclined to draft Alex Dodson and go for a key defender or another need

Draft profile:

Stats from the WAFL and WAFL reserves look promising and Dockers fans seem upset that the club is risking losing him

Him and Heath would be good backup for Row as young options, rather than going the safe route with a mature-aged ruck and not having much upside
1729836486113.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My opinion only.

Jagga or FOS.

That’s my hope.

But I think we love Lalor and that terrifies me. I see Cam Rayner.
And Rayner also gets to play in a team that wins a stack of games year in year out. If he was in a mid gangs team then you just don’t get either the capacity to hide when you go missing and get the opportunity to look good when it’s coming your way repeatedly.

FOS all the way if we did have pick 2. Draper is starting to give me Dow vibes. I would genuinely have Langford and Smilie right up at the point end and excellent chance we will get at least one of them.

This is one I can get behind

I really liked this kid in his draft year - raw 206cm ruckman with a ton of upside. Great size and can play forward, which is really appealing considering the lack of versatile rucks in this year's player movement period

Also means we are less inclined to draft Alex Dodson and go for a key defender or another need

Draft profile:

Stats from the WAFL and WAFL reserves look promising and Dockers fans seem upset that the club is risking losing him

Him and Heath would be good backup for Row as young options, rather than going the safe route with a mature-aged ruck and not having much upside
View attachment 2151665

To give you an idea of the standard of the WAFL reserves, if BrianSpeaking played ruck he’d have better stats than this.
The WAFL is so far behind the SANFL, let alone the VFL, that recruiters rarely put much stock into player’s performances in these leagues.
Not to say he can’t become a player but the standard of the WAFL is shit.

To give you an idea of the standard of the WAFL reserves, if BrianSpeaking played ruck he’d have better stats than this.
The WAFL is so far behind the SANFL, let alone the VFL, that recruiters rarely put much stock into player’s performances in these leagues.
It feels like you are holding back

Geelong did well out of the WAFL reserves last year with Humphries, there are always diamonds regardless of the competition they play.

There is a recent trend of players wanting to be traded to the club they grew up supporting.

Over the past three seasons, we’ve seen Nick Coffield, Josh Battle, Jack Ginnivan, Harry Perryman, Alex Neal-Bullen, Liam Baker, Isak Rankine, Will Setterfield, Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry and Luke Jackson all return to their childhood team.

So how can St Kilda take advantage of this?

Here is a list of opposition players that grew up supporting the Saints (there would be more I’m not aware of).

Out of contract at the end of 2025
Tom De Koning (RFA)
Miles Bergman
Brayden Fiorini (UFA)
Matt Crouch (UFA)
Darcy Tucker
Liam Jones

An interesting quote on De Koning from Carlton’s website - “De Koning would ultimately be handed the No.12 guernsey at his new club, which was his old club: he supported Carlton as a kid before his childhood hero Nick Riewoldt – whose number he would wear at Ikon Park - swung him to the team from Moorabbin.”

Was our mega contract offer to Jacob Weitering just a ploy to squeeze the Blues’ salary cap so they couldn’t match an offer for De Koning next year? How can we leverage Riewoldt’s return to Australia?

Miles Bergman is the other one of this year’s list of note. We are always linked with him. His old man played a few games for our reserves.

Out of contract at the end of 2026
Ben King (2026 - RFA)
Ollie Murphy (2026)
Henry Hustwaite (2026)
Jack Bowes (2026)
Karl Amon (2026)

Ollie Murphy could be one to watch here. A raw 200cm defender who is yet to make his debut for Fremantle, he couldn’t have been a more passionate Saint growing up. Pre draft when asked about possibly being picked by St Kilda, he commented “That’d be amazing. It’d be a lifelong dream, but I can’t get too ahead of myself. But if it was, I couldn’t put words to it.”

Henry Hustwaite - a 195cm midfielder - might be another to track if he can’t crack a regular position in the Hawthorn on ball brigade.

Out of contract at the end of 2027
Griffen Logue (2027)

Out of contract at the end of 2028
Koltyn Tholstrup (2028)
Jye Caldwell (2028 - RFA)

Out of contract at the end of 2029
Eric Hipwood (2029 - UFA)

Out of contract at the end of 2032
Connor Rozee (2032 - UFA)

As we have seen with Josh Battle recently, the opposite can obviously occur with a Saint leaving to their childhood club.

Looking at our current list and who they grew up going for, North Melbourne (Mitch Owens & Darcy Wilson) and Port Adelaide (Mattaes Phillipou) are the teams to be wary of.

Hayes - Adelaide

Schoenmaker - Carlton

Steele - Collingwood
Butler - Collingwood
Hotton - Collingwood

Sharman - Essendon

Collard - Fremantle

Macrae - Hawthorn
Windhager - Hawthorn
Keeler - Hawthorn
Henry - Hawthorn

Owens - North Melbourne
Dow - North Melbourne
Wilson - North Melbourne
Wood - North Melbourne

Phillipou - Port Adelaide

Clark - Richmond

Jones - St Kilda
Higgins - St Kilda
NWM - St Kilda
King - St Kilda
Stocker - St Kilda
Sinclair - St Kilda

Hill - West Coast

Cordy - Western Bulldogs

Byrnes - ?
Marshall - ?
Howard - ?
Hastie - ?
Webster - ?
Garcia - ?
Hall - ?
McLennan - ?
Heath - ?
Wilkie - ?
O’Connell - ?
Caminiti - ?

As we have seen with Josh Battle recently, the opposite can obviously occur with a Saint leaving to their childhood club.

Steele - Collingwood
this one hurts to see. he would've loved 2010 at the time :'(

actually wait wait, now i'm having visions of seeing Jack Steele as a Saints fan around the time he was drafted, and also when he was traded in

or maybe i'm getting confused with Nathan Freeman. i know he was a Saints fan

There is a recent trend of players wanting to be traded to the club they grew up supporting.

Over the past three seasons, we’ve seen Nick Coffield, Josh Battle, Jack Ginnivan, Harry Perryman, Alex Neal-Bullen, Liam Baker, Isak Rankine, Will Setterfield, Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry and Luke Jackson all return to their childhood team.

Here is a list of opposition players that grew up supporting the Saints (there would be more I’m not aware of).

Tom De Koning (RFA)
Miles Bergman
Brayden Fiorini (UFA)
Matt Crouch (UFA)
Darcy Tucker
Liam Jones

An interesting quote on De Koning from Carlton’s website - “De Koning would ultimately be handed the No.12 guernsey at his new club, which was his old club: he supported Carlton as a kid before his childhood hero Nick Riewoldt – whose number he would wear at Ikon Park - swung him to the team from Moorabbin.”

Was our mega contract offer to Jacob Weitering just a ploy to squeeze the Blues’ salary cap so they couldn’t match an offer for De Koning next year? How can we leverage Riewoldt’s return to Australia?

Miles Bergman is the other one of this year’s list of note. We are always linked with him. His old man played a few games for our reserves.

Ben King (2026 - RFA)
Ollie Murphy (2026)
Henry Hustwaite (2026)
Jack Bowes (2026)
Karl Amon (2026)

Ollie Murphy could be one to watch here. A raw 200cm defender who is yet to make his debut for Fremantle, he couldn’t have been a more passionate Saint growing up. Pre draft when asked about possibly being picked by St Kilda, he commented “That’d be amazing. It’d be a lifelong dream, but I can’t get too ahead of myself. But if it was, I couldn’t put words to it.”

Henry Hustwaite - a 195cm midfielder - might be another to track if he can’t crack a regular position in the Hawthorn on ball brigade.

Griffen Logue (2027)

Koltyn Tholstrup (2028)

Looking at our current list and who they grew up going for, North Melbourne (Mitch Owens & Darcy Wilson) and Port Adelaide (Mattaes Phillipou) are the teams to be wary of.

Hayes - Adelaide

Schoenmaker - Carlton

Steele - Collingwood
Butler - Collingwood
Hotton - Collingwood

Sharman - Essendon

Collard - Fremantle

Macrae - Hawthorn
Windhager - Hawthorn
Keeler - Hawthorn
Henry - Hawthorn

Owens - North Melbourne
Dow - North Melbourne
Wilson - North Melbourne
Wood - North Melbourne

Phillipou - Port Adelaide

Clark - Richmond

Jones - St Kilda
Higgins - St Kilda
NWM - St Kilda
King - St Kilda
Stocker - St Kilda
Sinclair - St Kilda

Hill - West Coast

Cordy - Western Bulldogs

Byrnes - ?
Marshall - ?
Howard - ?
Hastie - ?
Webster - ?
Garcia - ?
Hall - ?
McLennan - ?
Heath - ?
Wilkie - ?
O’Connell - ?
Caminiti - ?
Outstanding post/effort. 👏

Tom De Koning (RFA)
Miles Bergman
Brayden Fiorini (UFA)
Matt Crouch (UFA)
Darcy Tucker
Liam Jones

Ben King (2026 - RFA)
Ollie Murphy (2026)
Henry Hustwaite (2026)
Jack Bowes (2026)
Karl Amon (2026)

Griffen Logue (2027)

Koltyn Tholstrup (2028)

Hayes - Adelaide

Schoenmaker - Carlton

Steele - Collingwood
Butler - Collingwood
Hotton - Collingwood

Sharman - Essendon

Collard - Fremantle

Macrae - Hawthorn
Windhager - Hawthorn
Keeler - Hawthorn
Henry - Hawthorn

Owens - North Melbourne