List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
never said that was the reason they did. im jist saying they shedded star quality and still won a flag

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They didn’t cash in players for picks though, they royally stuffed their cap… completely different situation to a side who’ve been chortling about a war chest for nearly 20 years.

They didn’t cash in players for picks though, they royally stuffed their cap… completely different situation to a side who’ve been chortling about a war chest for nearly 20 years.
its still the same premise, picks or not. they lost quality, bit still won a flag.
there is precedence, just not from a st kilda pov

yHfuNU5.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its still the same premise, picks or not. they lost quality, bit still won a flag.
there is precedence, just not from a st kilda pov

Nah it's a completely different set of circumstances.

A side brimming with talent that can't keep everyone inside the cap Vs an average side who have stacks of cash but pawn off their few good assets for more draft picks.

If North push out LDU and then go onto win a flag then you'll have my attention.

I’ve upset everyone.

Time for another break.
FWIW one of the few posters I turn up here for. Appreciate a balanced and well reasoned post. Always going to be emotional pessimistic views tell you the sky is falling in. They're entitled to their opinion just like everyone else, secret is to ignore them. You'll never change stupids mind with reason and logic.

This is the thing. We want to play finals and be competitive. You w***ers think we need to win trade period like we have for the last 15 years while never getting any better. it's a shit draft to go full on into the front end of.

If we sell off all our competitive players we start to look like North Melbourne. Personally I will cancel my membership because we were sold a crock of shit. We should expect a competitive list and not have to wait 10 years to get one.

If this is another rebuild the whole place needs a broom through it. They have been absolutely terrible at running a footy club. Bassat and the board are not up to it if they can't even get the basics right even after throwing money at it.
As us w***erS keep pointing out - NO-ONE is "SELLING OFF" any players!

There is a sooky la la thread if you want to just make every post about throwing your toys out of the cot over a bunch of shit that hasn't actually happened!!

You know what, we have buggered up enough things as a club for you to have a whinge over, but it gets ****ing tiresome listen to you piss and moan about stuff that has so far only happened in your head!

Give it a rest.....

I was the poster boy when it was rebuild time. We had Stuv coming out, the end for Roberton, Carlisle, no midfield etc. We went out and topped up instead of going to the draft. All after years of selling off picks to chase shit top ups.

We are stocked with youth now and should keep using high picks but need refining and holes filled to start moving forward.

44D6B4E7-9294-467C-A9AD-B20DDD71BE62.gif

Surely the only way that you can gauge a trade is as to how much it improved your list. If Collard wants to go home and we get a pick in the 40s for him. Letting Gresham walk was a negative move for example.

Gambling on losing a player for compensation is only a benefit if it improves your list. Only real dumb ****s on here think that we won when we traded away players to blow the compensation.
Yes, but you also need to factor in the TPP

never said that was the reason they did. im jist saying they shedded star quality and still won a flag

From a top 4 list and then arsed a generational FS and replaced a lot of missing pieces with really smart low profile established talent. Collingwood do it really well. Had a couple of soft rebuilds since they beat us in 2010 and played off in and won a flag since. Geelong and Sydney get all the respect but they've done it as well as anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look back on last years trade period, SOS did a pretty good job. Got Henry in for a second, Dow on the cheap. Both look like good trades to me. Then had that move lined up to take the second round pick off GWS whilst still getting Wilson who looks top ten worthy. Also had the kahoonas to pick Arie when no one else did.

To me it feels like we've finally got a real list manager. The days of giving up a second round pick for a shot Freeman are over.

We've hit the draft hard three years in a row, I'm keen to see us keep adding pieces in any way we can.

I really doubt the Marshall scuttlebutt. Wouldn't be surprised if it's knocked on the head this week by the club.

The days of giving up a second round pick for a shot Freeman are over.
Wasn't that one a shocker.

We all knew what the club was trying with getting Nathan but the poor guy had a reserved seat in the rehab room.

He was constantly breaking down.

From all accounts,Nathan was a great clubman too.

So glad that he finally got a game.

I really doubt the Marshall scuttlebutt. Wouldn't be surprised if it's knocked on the head this week by the club.
You never say never BTS but I find the Marshall "chatter" very hard to believe.

With you re the club.

Just read John Ralph's most recent trade article on the Herald Sun website, which went through the most likely movers this off-season. We were mentioned in a couple of moves (many we have already discussed).

OVERVIEW:

Dylan Shiel:
Ralph reckons he should have moved to the Saints last year, as he is now stuck behind countless younger mids like Hobbs, Tsatas and even Setterfield. He is out of contract this year. Would we be interested?

Tyson Stengle: Ralph reckons its a two-horse race between the Saints and the Cats. Stengle likely to get $2.8 over four years at the Cats, while he could get as much as $900k per year over 5-6 years at the Saints. Basically said he is player we should splash cash on. He also suggests we might have a few recruits this year - take with a pinch of salt I guess.

Nick Haynes: Basically said the Saints should look at Haynes if Battle and Howard are no longer at the club next year. Will not get too many games at the Giants due to their backline, and Ralph believes he has a year or two left in him. Would be an okay stop gap if Battle decides to go. However, Battle's departure probably changes the Stengle situation.

Josh Battle: Ralph reckons the Saints should be nervous that he hasn't resigned yet. Believes the Hawks are the most likely destination. Mentioned Battle's first child as a potential reason why the decision is dragging out. Nothing new to what we already know. Ralph believes we should do what we can to keep him.

Luke Parker: Ralph reckons Parker is in a weird spot where he wouldn't want to leave a club going well, but would be silly not to listen to other offers. Roos would offer the most money and security, but believes clubs like Melbourne, Crows and the Saints could offer something similar and would be more likely to play finals.

Overall: Nothing really different to what we have been discussing over the past couple of months, but it seems like the above deals could happen if the right conditions occur. Plenty to go under the bridge before anything happens.

We all knew what the club was trying with getting Nathan but the poor guy had a reserved seat in the rehab room.

That and the Hannebery trade were way overs. Hannebery was basically a salary dump for them but we gave up a second. It was just dumb. No issue about taking the risk on either trade but there was no need to pay such a huge price.

How to you pack out the age profile? We will be like early GWS and Gold Coast if we have the bulk of the 22 under 25 yo.
It’s not that difficult to hang on to a few experienced players and bring in a couple. They don't need to be stars just pieces that fit just like Collingwood have managed to do. Also I’d argue it’s experience rather than age you can easily have guys under 25 with 100 games plus up and in their prime. We are pumping games into our youngsters and you can already see how in a year or two these guys will be the main drivers.

King 80 plus, Wang 50 plus, Henry 50 plus, Owen 40 plus, Windhager 40 plus, Sharman 40 plus, pho 30 plus, caminiti 28 and so on. How many others have already debuted from last years draft and looked very good I might add. It might be frustrating having played finals last year to take a step back this year but it was necessary imo and we haven’t really been that bad.

Anyway as I’ve already said I’m impressed with our youngsters and optimistic we’re heading in the right direction. Obviously we need to hit a home run with our picks this year and it’s a massive offseason for us but it looks like we’re finally in the range where the A grade mids are taken.

Dylan Shiel will be 32 before the start of next season.

Freeman had been horribly mismanaged by Davoren at Collingwood (they had a few years of horrific soft tissue injuries while he was in charge).

We took a risk that we could get him going again that unfortunately didn’t work out.

Very sad… He was an absolute jet, Dangerfield like talent as a junior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back