Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; inspired by Larkey/Sheez/Jy signing - pay the man

Remove this Banner Ad

Proud I Did It GIF by myHQ

I'm really stoked he came out and said all that. Think I would have struggled to watch footy a bit if he'd bailed, he's my favourite player and it's been great watching him from when he was drafted and developing into the player he is now. Gotta love when guys show loyalty like that when tested, becoming the highest paid player in the game and going to a contender and he chooses to stick around and help build us back up to hopefully some success in the future. Going to be extra special when we get there. 😍 😍

Luke Davies-Uniacke set to rebuff monster free agency payday and re-sign with North Melbourne​

Luke Davies-Uniacke is set to turn his back on the chance to become one of the best-paid players in the game and recommit to North Melbourne. JON RALPH has the exclusive details.

Jon RalphSports Reporter

@RalphyHeraldSun

2 min read
June 27, 2024 - 6:30PM
News Sport Network

Footy’s most in-demand pre-agent Luke Davies-Uniacke has declared his intention to rebuff massive $10 million offers and instead re-sign with North Melbourne despite his impending free agency next year.

Davies-Uniacke is in the middle of a blinding spell of form that has had him earn AFL Coaches Votes in the past six games as his intoxicating blend of midfield play hits new heights.

Clubs would be prepared to offer $1.5 million a season over seven years if he turned his back on the Roos at the end of next to chase instant success – and vast riches.

Yet as he told the Herald Sun in an exclusive interview he wants to finish his career as a one-club player at the Roos.

The 25-year-old No. 4 draft pick said he was inspired by the pledges of loyalty from Nick Larkey, Jy Simpkin and Harry Sheezel, who have all been locked in long-term since last year.

On the verge of his 100th game he was emphatic when asked if he wanted to stay at Arden Street despite hitting free agency at the end of 2025.

Luke Davies-Uniacke is set to turn his back on free agency. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Luke Davies-Uniacke is set to turn his back on free agency. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

“Yeah, absolutely. I see myself playing for North Melbourne for the rest of my career,” he said.

“I think there has been a lot of stuff and a lot of talk about my contract and I have always basically signed in the year that it is expiring. That is when we have done those talks.

“So we didn’t feel like there was any rush to get a move on with it quickly. It is obviously going to be an important decision to make and no doubt the club and my manager will get something done. I love the club.

“Sheezel, Larkey, Simmo, the big three. Them signing on certainly inspired me to want to get more involved in the contract talks. It certainly is one of the biggest aspects that will come from that stuff.”

“Potentially it could get it done earlier. I just enjoy playing footy and don’t’ worry about the stresses of the contract and I just want to put all my energy into my football and the team so I think a couple of the boys have got stuck into me about signing on but it’s all fun. But I am definitely looking to talk to the club more next year.”

Rye’s Davies-Uniacke lost his father three years ago to cancer and still returns to surf and see his mother once a week but appreciates the feel of North Melbourne as coach Alastair Clarkson attempts to build culture and togetherness.

Luke Davies-Uniacke is congratulated by Harry Sheezel after kicking a goal against Essendon. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images.

Luke Davies-Uniacke is congratulated by Harry Sheezel after kicking a goal against Essendon. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images.

“I think it’s just the family vibe of the club, it reminds me a lot of back home. Inclusive and how it’s a big family club. And obviously they are the club who chose to have faith in my on draft night, it is something I will always respect and something I always hold account to.

On the money on offer amid speculation of long-term deals exceeding $10 million he replied: “Yeah, look I am not really fussed about the money. I am someone who is going to rock up each day, try my hardest and I think it’s just reward for effort

If you play good footy you deserve it and you only get that if you are playing good footy.“

The Roos are desperate to secure free agent Cam Zurhaar, who has been offered a five-year deal by the club on lucrative terms.
But if they could lock in Davies-Uniacke it would be a huge boon with George Wardlaw contracted to 2026 and Charlie Comben only just secured until 2027 this week.

Quality young man, but we already knew that.

It was like watching tattslotto numbers come up.. or the Brownlow lol

Pick 1) Brisbane - Cam Rayner
Pick 2) Fremantle - Andrew Brayshaw
Pick 3…. Carlton………… Paddy Dow

Yes you dumb campaigners.. yesssssss

Pick 4) North Melbourne - Luke Davies-Uniacke

Rest is history🙏🏼
The funny thing is I didn't know anything about LDU. I wasn't that clued in on the draft and watching them like I do more of now but you guys were all so excited I got really bloody excited lol. Then I saw the highlights and was thrilled.
I'd only really heard about Rayner, Dow (BNFAAK) and Brayshaw (Jim's nephew).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Davies-Uniacke set to rebuff monster free agency payday and re-sign with North Melbourne​

Luke Davies-Uniacke is set to turn his back on the chance to become one of the best-paid players in the game and recommit to North Melbourne. JON RALPH has the exclusive details.

Jon RalphSports Reporter

@RalphyHeraldSun

2 min read
June 27, 2024 - 6:30PM
News Sport Network

Footy’s most in-demand pre-agent Luke Davies-Uniacke has declared his intention to rebuff massive $10 million offers and instead re-sign with North Melbourne despite his impending free agency next year.

Davies-Uniacke is in the middle of a blinding spell of form that has had him earn AFL Coaches Votes in the past six games as his intoxicating blend of midfield play hits new heights.

Clubs would be prepared to offer $1.5 million a season over seven years if he turned his back on the Roos at the end of next to chase instant success – and vast riches.

Yet as he told the Herald Sun in an exclusive interview he wants to finish his career as a one-club player at the Roos.

The 25-year-old No. 4 draft pick said he was inspired by the pledges of loyalty from Nick Larkey, Jy Simpkin and Harry Sheezel, who have all been locked in long-term since last year.

On the verge of his 100th game he was emphatic when asked if he wanted to stay at Arden Street despite hitting free agency at the end of 2025.

“Yeah, absolutely. I see myself playing for North Melbourne for the rest of my career,” he said.

“I think there has been a lot of stuff and a lot of talk about my contract and I have always basically signed in the year that it is expiring. That is when we have done those talks.

“So we didn’t feel like there was any rush to get a move on with it quickly. It is obviously going to be an important decision to make and no doubt the club and my manager will get something done. I love the club.

“Sheezel, Larkey, Simmo, the big three. Them signing on certainly inspired me to want to get more involved in the contract talks. It certainly is one of the biggest aspects that will come from that stuff.”

“Potentially it could get it done earlier. I just enjoy playing footy and don’t’ worry about the stresses of the contract and I just want to put all my energy into my football and the team so I think a couple of the boys have got stuck into me about signing on but it’s all fun. But I am definitely looking to talk to the club more next year.”

Rye’s Davies-Uniacke lost his father three years ago to cancer and still returns to surf and see his mother once a week but appreciates the feel of North Melbourne as coach Alastair Clarkson attempts to build culture and togetherness.

“I think it’s just the family vibe of the club, it reminds me a lot of back home. Inclusive and how it’s a big family club. And obviously they are the club who chose to have faith in my on draft night, it is something I will always respect and something I always hold account to.

On the money on offer amid speculation of long-term deals exceeding $10 million he replied: “Yeah, look I am not really fussed about the money. I am someone who is going to rock up each day, try my hardest and I think it’s just reward for effort

If you play good footy you deserve it and you only get that if you are playing good footy.“

The Roos are desperate to secure free agent Cam Zurhaar, who has been offered a five-year deal by the club on lucrative terms.
But if they could lock in Davies-Uniacke it would be a huge boon with George Wardlaw contracted to 2026 and Charlie Comben only just secured until 2027 this week.

'turn his back on the chance to be one of the best-paid players in the game'

Haha it's not as if he'll be paid a pittance at north. He'll be pretty close to 1.5m a year even if he stays

Regardless, great news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back