Remove this Banner Ad

Hood007

Premiership Player
May 10, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Article in the H-Sun. Here's the main part...

GEELONG onball star Gary Ablett is in doubt for Saturday's Grand Final rematch against Hawthorn with another calf problem.
The Brownlow Medal favourite sent a scare through the Cats camp yesterday when he looked to hurt his lower left leg in a training drill.

Ablett, who missed the Round 15 loss to the Brisbane Lions because of a calf injury, was forced to sit out some of the session at Skilled Stadium as he sought treatment on the problem spot.

He resumed training, but looked hampered by the complaint at times and was seen engaged in a lengthy discussion with club officials after the session.

Son of a bitch!!!

Ablett out, Bartel in....no big deal we'll still win ;)

Let him rest if he's not right.

Unless of course you're a bit worried with the fantasy footy side of things.
on what basis do we still win? no ottens, sj, ablett, our 3 best, crazy comment, hawks are desperate and back in form and no injuries now, they'll win easily, going on our current form.

What the hell is wrong with SJ?

We were fed the line that he missed the Saints game as a 'precaution'... if he misses this week that's a month out. Long time for a 'precaution' if you ask me.
Yeah that is starting to annoy me a bit now as well. His first game out was the week I put money on him to take out the brownlow. What a great investment that was... I would think he is being treated the same way that Gilham was for us during his injury. For 5+ weeks he was a week to week deal and always just missing out.

I really hope he gets back in because he is a delight to watch. Maybe not this week though

or is this just a case everyone watching him like a hawk (no pun intended) and over analysising his every move because he's gary ablett.

until the club come out and say we're resting him as a "precaution" ala stevie j as mentioned above i'm not going to worry.

I have been just told of a mate that is close to the club that

Harley
Johnson
Ablett

Will all not play this week might be crap but he isnt really wrong though i thought i would let you guys know

I have been just told of a mate that is close to the club that

Harley
Johnson
Ablett

Will all not play this week might be crap but he isnt really wrong though i thought i would let you guys know

Wow that's some ground breaking news there! Where does your mate get his information from!!!

Maybe the Herald Sun?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25822016-19742,00.html

GEELONG onball star Gary Ablett is in doubt for Saturday's Grand Final rematch against Hawthorn with another calf problem.

Captain Tom Harley (knee) and gun forward Steve Johnson (hip) are likely to miss the Hawks battle, while midfielders Jimmy Bartel (hip) and James Kelly (hamstring) also have to pass fitness tests.

Not being a smartass here (Diablo will vouch for me ;))

Do you think you guys have learnt from 2008?

Lots of your 25-30 players are getting exposure, some have taken to it (eg Hogan), others less so - but without some KEY players, you are learning a lot about your fringe players.

Hawthorn are coming out of a training block now - last year we started in rd.17 to rd.22, this year rd.12-rd.17 as we don't have the luxury of a safe place.

You basically cannot finish anywhere except 1 or 2, and unlike Saints you would have a bit more confidence in your ability come finals. This is an ideal time to 'develop' your next group, whilst putting solid training block into some senior players, resting up niggles, and having them "cherry ripe" for finals.

(sorry started channeling Spud Frawley there).

If you win this week with a full side, what have you achieved? Not a great deal, except make it harder for us to make finals.
If you lose this week with a full side, what have you lost? A BIG mental hurdle that might be getting bigger - plus potential for further injury.
If you win this week with a reduced side, ...fitness into seniors, experience and confidence into depth, make it harder for Hawthorn, remove 'mental' edge.
..lose...reduced....very little.

I see no reason (objectively, looking at entire season) why you would risk anybody at this stage, Hawthorn or not.

Personally, if he's got any niggle I doubt he'll play. I doubt Bomber really cares who wins this game (not saying he wouldn't want to), his focus would be simply to ensure his team is cherry ripe in 6 week time, as he should be. you guys are 2 or 3 games clear of the Dogs, and will finish top 2-3 guaranteed. You basically know you'll play the Dogs @ the G in the first week of the finals, so really it is just experimenting and preparation for that, and ensuring that guys that are on the fringe are given games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being a smartass here (Diablo will vouch for me ;))

Do you think you guys have learnt from 2008?

Lots of your 25-30 players are getting exposure, some have taken to it (eg Hogan), others less so - but without some KEY players, you are learning a lot about your fringe players.

Hawthorn are coming out of a training block now - last year we started in rd.17 to rd.22, this year rd.12-rd.17 as we don't have the luxury of a safe place.

You basically cannot finish anywhere except 1 or 2, and unlike Saints you would have a bit more confidence in your ability come finals. This is an ideal time to 'develop' your next group, whilst putting solid training block into some senior players, resting up niggles, and having them "cherry ripe" for finals.

(sorry started channeling Spud Frawley there).

If you win this week with a full side, what have you achieved? Not a great deal, except make it harder for us to make finals.
If you lose this week with a full side, what have you lost? A BIG mental hurdle that might be getting bigger - plus potential for further injury.
If you win this week with a reduced side, ...fitness into seniors, experience and confidence into depth, make it harder for Hawthorn, remove 'mental' edge.
..lose...reduced....very little.

I see no reason (objectively, looking at entire season) why you would risk anybody at this stage, Hawthorn or not.

You're spot on Simon...and that has been the club policy over the past month in particular, even though we've been criticised for it in some quarters. If he is in doubt, he will NOT play. Guaranteed.
We have nothing to gain from this game and plenty to lose when you are taking about risking the leagues MVP.

Quote:

Captain Tom Harley (knee) and gun forward Steve Johnson (hip) are likely to miss the Hawks battle, while midfielders Jimmy Bartel (hip) and James Kelly (hamstring) also have to pass fitness tests.

you'll never guess how long the same article quoted Ottens at being out for.......... That's right 2 to 3 weeks. LOL:eek::eek::eek:

I dont know about anyone else but i'd be seriously concerned (as good as he is) if his first game was a Qualifying final V WB. Surely they must be close to drawing a line through his season. Too risky.
Maybe they already have. We wouldn't know of course.

I know it's been talked to death and we're all frustrated with it (Otto topping that list of course) but i'd be drawing the line there. Only chance of him returning if Mummy and/or Blake breaks down IMO

My supercoach team and I will deal with this blow, but only if it's nothing serious. :( I do not like the idea of heading into finals without Ablett at 95% at least. The competition is awfully stiff this year.

johnlennon1.jpg

All those miiiiinnndddddgggaaammmmeeesssss togethheerrrr.

Pushing the barriers. Planting the seeeeeddss.

I'm hoping it's crap as it's from the Herald Sun but you'd think if he's a risk he's be rested.

For anyone who isn't on Facebook and is not a friend of the Cats Insider there was a post from him 10 mins ago and said as follows.

"Contrary to some reports Gazza trained fully yesterday and is pumped for the clash with the Hawks this week."

I guess time wil tell whether he will play or not but from the posts that I read from Cats Insider he never spins any bullsh*t and only tries to keep us updated on what is actually happening at the club

For anyone who isn't on Facebook and is not a friend of the Cats Insider there was a post from him 10 mins ago and said as follows.

"Contrary to some reports Gazza trained fully yesterday and is pumped for the clash with the Hawks this week."

I guess time wil tell whether he will play or not but from the posts that I read from Cats Insider he never spins any bullsh*t and only tries to keep us updating on what is actually happening at the club

:thumbsu:

Thanks for the update. I believe what he says - in the past few weeks he's broken the news about Gillies/Laidler debuts, the big name players that missed the Brisbane game and Jimmy's fitness test last week.

I guess the Hawthorn board can remove the thread gloating over Gaz not playing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett in Doubt for Rd 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back