AFL Round 11 - Coll v St Kilda - Pre-Game & Selection Discussion (Lozza63's preview, p6, post 83)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 11 Coll v St Kilda Pre-Game Discussion

Thankfully St Kilda won this weekend, otherwise the Grand Final rematch would have zero atmosphere. At least it'll be a good game now.

:)

We must flatten them, St Kilda want a chance for 'revenge' we must deny them that chance and grind them into the dirt. Seriously though I don't want to have to read all the St Kilda gloating if they get up so please win and win big pies.

As much as I'd like to join in the taunting of deluded Saints fans, I don't think this will be the walkover many seem to be expecting. They've played reasonable footy recently, still have a top 4-6 list on paper, and will be very keen to get revenge.

We should still get up, but they're a better team than West Coast who everyone was apparently fearing going into today.
I definitely don't think it's going to be a walkover by any means. The Saints are desperate for points like a man in the desert without water.
This is when a side, which has every intention of being their in the last game should make a statement. Regardless of who the opposition ahve out injured.
It calls for an emotionless, clinical slaughter of biblical proportions.
Whether the Saints can rain on the parade is up to which side turns up.

Would love to bury the saints and hammer in the nails for season 2011 and beyond. Their shit talking posters need this reality check. Hope we play a good 4 quarters and smash them by 100.

But in reality I'll take a win no matter the margin.

I doubt Goddard will play, Dempster also.

Both very important guys in their own right.

Only thing working in Saints favour is the fact their performances of late haven't been left to a few, it's been (to borrow a Collingwood word) a very 'even' contribution.

Also will be so many changes to both sides since the last time they met, plenty of new faces.

Saints style of play is also in the process of evolving, and will be good to measure it up against such a disciplined defensive side.

I doubt Goddard will play, Dempster also.

Both very important guys in their own right.

Only thing working in Saints favour is the fact their performances of late haven't been left to a few, it's been (to borrow a Collingwood word) a very 'even' contribution.

Also will be so many changes to both sides since the last time they met, plenty of new faces.

Saints style of play is also in the process of evolving, and will be good to measure it up against such a disciplined defensive side.

Thanks for this Saints4ever ( not 2011!) Sad you had to change your name!

I'd be interested to hear how the saints have changed their game over the past few weeks.

Clearly they're playing heaps better, great to see them playing a few young guys eg Siposs who looks very good at times.

I haven't seen their last two games and am without Fox at the moment to get the post game wraps, so would very much like to hear what's different?

Did see them v Carlton and all their old enthusiasm was back, though they didn't quite get over the line that game.

Double Header on Saturday as the VFL play at Vic Park in the Afternoon

pure bliss hey dave !! and save you travelling twice that weekend :D

as for this coming week, im personally looking forward to the BS between supporters. i know it could get ugly with the idiots both teams possess, but in general i expect a lot of 'healthy banter' between the 2 groups.

considering everything, i know which side id rather be on.....:)

I'd be interested to hear how the saints have changed their game over the past few weeks.

Clearly they're playing heaps better, great to see them playing a few young guys eg Siposs who looks very good at times.

I haven't seen their last two games and am without Fox at the moment to get the post game wraps, so would very much like to hear what's different?

Did see them v Carlton and all their old enthusiasm was back, though they didn't quite get over the line that game.

Our gameplan is different this year because we are so much more attacking. I think we are second in the league for mark and play on. We don't or haven't often kicked it backward or resorted to the old, what most people saw as ugly, footy that we played for majority of last year.
As you say, we have also got our intencity back and are beginning to at least draw level with the contested possesions and tackles, something we were getting smashed in at the start of the year.

I feel we are still slightly adjusting to life without Lenny, and our clearances are still a bit of a problem, hence bringing in Polo, and playing new players such as Fish and Gilbert through the middle.

With Siposs' inclusion, this has allowed Riewoldt to play up the ground more, so although he isn't getting as many goals, he is getting more possesions. Also, with the inclusions of the other kids such as Steven, Armo, Winmar and on the weekend Lynch, this seemed to get the enthusiasm back.

Having said all of this, I'm not sure we are strong enough to beat Collingwood yet. You and Geelong are obviously the clear best teams, yet we always seem to challenge Geelong. I'm not expecting a win, yet it's not completely out of the picture. :thumbsu:

Is this a serious post?

I mean, apart from the fact that Wood did not get thrashed today, do you honestly believe that Leigh Brown is a better ruckman than Wood? :confused:

Cox and NickNat mauled him in the hitouts, and Cox picked up a lazy 20 possessions around the ground.

And yes, Leigh Brown is better than Wood. Why do you think Brown is a premiership player and Wood isn't. MM knows that Brown can get the job done for this team. Wood is only getting a game because of injuries at the moment.

i think the krak will have to be in some doubt was in the rooms last ngt and he had his arm in a sling wasnt moving to well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Wood was Thrashed today in the Ruck.

Reckon L Brown would need 1 game in the VFL 1st

Statistically Wood was thrashed in the ruck by Natanui and especially Cox, but watching the game Wood did not appear to be that bad. Certainly, winning the ruck did not win WC the game.

Re: AFL Round 11 - Coll v St Kilda - Pre-Game & Selection Discussion

surely jolly or brown will be back this week.

think kosi will be back

i reckon blake and dempster will miss

Looking forward to providing a "20 storey drop onto concrete" reality check for some Saints posters.:D

That said next week will be the Saints "Grand Final" and they'll be looking to die trying to revive their season.
Baker back should mean a few more weeks for him again and an injury or two to some of our players.
He'll probably spend the game testing Maxies ribs or punching Tooves in the lung.
Should give Anvil a run to knock the little fat arsed **** out.

This is similar to what I was going to post. Saints wont win unless we drop the ball big time. Having said that they will go in HARD AS NAILS. Im fearing some injuries we just dont need. So frankly I'd just stay out of the saints players way and if we lose so be it. I dont need a list of 2-3 injuries at the end of that game because the Saints have a score to settle....

Our gameplan is different this year because we are so much more attacking. I think we are second in the league for mark and play on. We don't or haven't often kicked it backward or resorted to the old, what most people saw as ugly, footy that we played for majority of last year.

Surely you are taking the piss?

why do you blokes reckon fasolo will play?
his fitness isnt good enough yet
ugle would be ahead of him i reckon.

I also think there will be no change to the team outside of injuries and the sub.

The Saints seem to have gotten themselves into a bit of form and have gotten some confidence back, they could be a dangerous team, especially if Goddard plays. I think they'll be lacking in the ruck and clearances, but they still have some good players with some form. Voldt looked alright last week but just didn't get enough of the ball. He's usually played well against us, at least in H&A games. I see Voldt, Dal Santo, Fisher and Goddard being the ones who could do the damage. Shut them down and keep Schneider quiet and they have no chance of getting up.

Cox and NickNat mauled him in the hitouts, and Cox picked up a lazy 20 possessions around the ground.

And yes, Leigh Brown is better than Wood. Why do you think Brown is a premiership player and Wood isn't. MM knows that Brown can get the job done for this team. Wood is only getting a game because of injuries at the moment.
WTF??? You can't be serious. Surely you saw Wood and Brown against Ottens the other week! You know, where Brown never got close to a tap out! Yes Wood was beaten but not as badly as Brown and his work on Cox and NicKNat yesterday made most of their tap outs innefective. Brown is a reasonably good player on his day (although from where I sit that day hasn't come yet in 2011) but never ever is he a better ruckman than Cam Wood. Not in a million years!

I don't mind. :)

I'm not sure if you call it more attacking, because the trademarks of 'saints footy' are still very much there, and I'd still be reluctant to call St Kilda an attacking side.

There is though, a tendency to play on more once a turnover occurs. Though instead of forwards running forward of the ball in this scenario, the guys running forward have been well, the runners. Which makes a bit more sense.

Very curious to see how it goes against Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back