Preview AFL Round 16 - Coll vs NM -Prematch Discussion, Lozza's Preview post130, Teams post 153

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 16 - Collingwood vs NM - Selection and Prematch Discussion

I would be utterly shocked if Caff didn't come in. It's a no brainer. Only other options for mine are a debutant, as I'm assuming BJ will come in for Buckley anyways.

I would be utterly shocked if Caff didn't come in. It's a no brainer. Only other options for mine are a debutant, as I'm assuming BJ will come in for Buckley anyways.
I'd be utterly shocked if either didn't come in to be honest.

They were both a very important part of our premiership success, and still are part of our chances this year in a massive way.

People forget how good Caff was in both Grand Finals, but especially early in the replay, he was part of the reason why we blew the Aints away early.:)

BJ and Caff in and I'll be happy with any other added changes made.:thumbsu:

There's no way I'd be bringing Shae into the seniors ahead of Keeffe at this stage. Tarrant/Maxwell/Reid could all play stints in the forward line if needed to cover Dawes.

If Caff is seen as match fit and ready to play he'll get a game. I'm not sure he was that close but you never know what the effects of Arizona had on him. We don't need to rush him, I'd prefer he was kept back a week or so to be right for the end of the season, that is unless he's 100% and has the form.

Assuming the club thinks Caff and Johnson are right to go then i'd like to see:

Out: Dawes (inj), Buckley (inj)

In: Caff, Johnson

Rounds to start and a Krak/Blair/Fasolo or even Wellingham/Sidebottom/Davis as the sub.

To save Swooop/"Q" from merging a new thread here is my preview of Collingwood vs North Melbourne, Sunday 10th July @ 1310 hrs. DaVe is back in town and looking forward to his quality previews from now on.

Last time round 2 we found Collingwood demolish a rather inaccurate North Melbourne team by over fourteen goals. Keys to the win that day - Dane Swan with 40 touches, Scott Pendlebury 39 disposals, Dawes 26 possessions with 2 goals and Cloke bagging a lazy 5. For North Boomer Harvey was able to cobble 27 touches without his normal influence.

The sides were quite different to those we will see run out on Sunday. Collingwood had players such as Dawes (#knuckle in right hand), Didak, Beams will miss. Johnson and Macaffer have been playing in the VFL and are a chance to return, Maxwell missed last time but has since returned. Youngsters Rounds, Fasolo, McCarthy have had some opportunities - Wood had been in the side until the return of Jolly last week. Malthouse has been reported as saying that he will rotate his less experienced players through in case they are needed in September. So we can expect youngsters such as Rounds and Fasolo to continue to get games.

North has also seen many changes which have improved their team markedly since round 2. A. Swallow who was the standout midfielder for North last year has found the likes of Wells and Ziebell (to a lesser extent) stepping up, Leigh Adams has continued to fly under the radar and the return of Greenwood and Bastinac should continue to positively impact North as we move into the last third of the season. North fans must be wrapt with the return to form of Drew Petrie after a miserable 2010, and Todd Goldstein is in All Australian form at present! Other players worth a mention include Thompson who has battled manfully in defence all year - highlighted by an outstanding game against Goodes - unfortunately North were unable to prevail. Cam Pedersen is another who has caught my eye, with the two recognised talls out against West Coast in round 1 he battled manfully. Unfortunately team balance meant he was unable to return till round 7 against Geelong even then not securing his spot till round 13, that day he played a major role in defeating Essendon kicking 3 majors. Aaron Edwards has been amazingly accurate booting 24 goals 3 behinds so far!

Last week we found Collingwood "bully" an undermanned Hawthorn, who were unable to settle into their stride despite Hodge and Mitchell having massive games - Franklin was well contained by Tarrant and co. kicked only one goal for the game. The Pies were able to exert continuous pressure most of the game - it was an even performance with Reid and Cloke shining brightest on the day. Swan is looking to running back into top form as Pendlebury, Ball, Thomas and Wellingham continue fine form. Leon Davis has found his niche down back and along with Shaw, O'Brien are able to rebound out of defense with purpose and precision.

North found itself (again) in a winning position early in the game were unable to contain Goddard, Dal Santo and Riewoldt was able to run himself into a little better form with 3 goals. Adams kicked 3, Goldstein again was excellent, but in general the Kangaroos were unable to find enough of the footy to hurt the Saints losing a tight game by 9 points.

Stats Leaders:

Ball Hogs - Pendlebury 365, Swan 355, Thomas 306, Shaw 281, Ball 271, Wellingham 255, Sidebottom 248.

Contested Possessions - Swan 166, Pendlebury 160, Ball 123, Wellingham 117, Cloke 113, Dawes 112*, Thomas 107.

Goals - Cloke 38, Dawes 21*, Swan 17, Krak 16, Blair 15, Sidebottom 13, Pendlebury 12, Brown 12.

Contested Marks - Cloke 58, Dawes 21*, Reid 18, Brown, O'Brien, Shaw 9.

Tacklers - Ball 100, Pendlebury 79, Wellingham 55, Sidebottom 53, Thomas 49, Dawes 47*, Shaw 45.

Ball Hogs - Rawlings 353, Swallow 350, Wells 338, Harvey 314, Adams 273, Thompson 259.

Contested Possessions - Swallow 190, Wells 130, Thompson 119, Harvey 113, Adams 111, Goldstein 110, Rawlings 109, Petrie 105.

Goals - Petrie 30, Edwards 24, Harvey 22, Thomas 17, Wells 11, Adams 11, Hansen 11, Swallow 9.

Contested Marks - Petrie 31, Hansen 19, Thompson 17, Firrito 12, Edwards & Pederson 11.

Tacklers - Swallow 90, Ziebell 64, Goldstein 63, Adams 54, Wells 47, Cunnington 44.

Possible Key Matchups:

Cloke vs Thompson - Cloke is in career best form at present - he has found his kicking boot this year with 16 goals just in the last 3 weeks. Thompson should have plenty of help from Grima, Firrito and Goldstein floating back to help out, against the best contested mark in the AFL the last two years.

Tarrant vs Petrie - North have damaging tall timber of their own in the form of Drew Petrie. He has been super this year dragging in many marks and kicking 30 goals. Tarrant will need help also with Reid, Maxwell and Jolly.

Ball vs Swallow - two of the most valiant, courageous men in the AFL as evidenced by their tackling stats. They will be unrelenting in their endeavours all game.

Pendlebury vs Harvey - i for one would like to see these 2 go head to head, although i rather suspect that Scott will want to tag Pendlebury. Boomer is one who seems to always thrive in games against the Pies!

Swan vs Adams - can Adams gut run with Swan for four quarters?

Jolly vs Goldstein - this is a pivotal contest, should the North man gain the upper hand early, the Kangas could steal a head start on the Pies.

Thomas vs Greenwood - the North man is as tough and willing as it gets. Thomas will need to use all his guile and pace to continue a high level of influence against Greenwood.

Sidebottom vs Ziebell - congrats to Steele who passes his first milestone 50 games this Sunday. Ziebell has begun to find confidence in his body as he has strung together an injury free run of games.

Wellingham vs Wells - we have seen this season that Wells has been able to profoundly influence games this year on and off the scoreboard. I feel that Malthouse will assign Wellingham with the task of keeping Wells honest.

Reid vs Hansen - I feel Hansen needs to draw some of the Pies tall timber and could do this if he is able to convert early goals. He will need to be aware of Reid's ability to rebound - he'll have a massive influence on this game should he break even with the impressive Reid.

The Game and Outcome.

With Collingwood needing to replace an vital cog in its forward line with Dawes missing, the North defence would be feeling it can more easily cope with Cloke. The fore runners for Dawes' job are probably Brown and even a return by Brent Macaffer - he has strength and is a strong mark, who needs close attention. Jolly could also find himself resting in the forward line when he changes with Brown in the ruck. Tarrant's name has been bandied about as a replacement - personally I would leave the defense intact - Shaw, Davis, O'Brien, Maxwell, Tarrant and Reid have been magnificent despite a sluggish start.

In the mid field North will be anxious not to allow Pendlebury and Swan too much freedom - here Swallow, Wells, Adams, Greenwood will need to work overtime to Collingwood at the clearances. Up forward L. Thomas, Edwards & Harvey will need to pressure the running backs of the Pies - predominantly Shaw Davis and O'Brien.

North have often started well and will need to do so this week. There is no doubt that Scott has a far more cohesive unit and his intimate knowledge of Collingwood's players and playing stlye will be of huge help to North providing an upset. The problem will be for his charges to execute his tactics to the letter. Collingwood will go in with plenty of confidence, especially as they have not lost to North since 2008. Despite the class players missing from the line up in Beams, Dawes and Didak - Collingwood should still have enough class to prevail, possibly by six goals, over a much improved North who are very much alive for the eight!

Thanks Loz, great work again.

Last time we played NM, they were extremely wasteful early and lost any chance with terrible kicking in the first 15 minutes, after dominating that early bit.

They're going much better now, it should be a good game. Esp looking forward to seeing how Swallow and Greenwood go and also how our backs go with Petrie.

Re: AFL Round 16 - Coll vs NM -Prematch Discussion, Lozza's Preview p9#130

I'll be happy if we can get inside of 5 goals.

I'll be dissappointed if we gert beaten by more than 8 goals.

Plus: Sunday is expecting rain.
Minus: It's our first game on the G since round 22 last season.

I'd like to see caff get back in.
Would prefer Johno over buckley but i'm not sure buckley can be dropped atm.

out; dawes, fasolo
in; keefe, caff

...or something

IN: McCarthy, Seedsman, Keeffe, Young

OUT: Dawes

Very strange selection IMO, no Caff, no BJ?:confused:

Seedsman plays one game and gets a chance, I don't think he deserves senior selection yet.

If they are the choices, then I'll take McCarthy for Dawes and move on.

Seedsman has been very impressive in the VFL this year. He tackles hard and puts his head over the ball and has good speed to play on the wing/hff.

The games he has missed in the VFL are likely due to being rested as all 1st year players are being held back.

Sidey's 50th game.

Inexperienced bench; McCarthy, Seedsman, Rounds, Keeffe, Young, Fasolo, and Buckley.

I'd go for McCarthy, Keeffe, Fasolo and Young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very strange selection IMO, no Caff, no BJ?:confused:

Seedsman plays one game and gets a chance, I don't think he deserves senior selection yet.

If they are the choices, then I'll take McCarthy for Dawes and move on.

Well I think it's safe to say it would be Dawes Out and Keeffe In

I doubt Seedsman would play AFL and Stay as an Emergency but My Call of him coming in was Right:thumbsu:

Hope Rounds Stays In and I would also think Young Might Come In

Seedsman has been very impressive in the VFL this year. He tackles hard and puts his head over the ball and has good speed to play on the wing/hff.

The games he has missed in the VFL are likely due to being rested as all 1st year players are being held back.

Seedsman has been very good and Could play a Cale Morton sort of Role.

Also start of the Year he was Named as 1 that could Debut.

Not Bad for Pick 76? of the National Draft to Crack the AFL Side

Interesting to see Seedsman amongst it. Didn't think he'd be at all ready for senior footy. Good luck to him if he gets a gig.

Personally, I hope Rounds stays in the line up and gets an extended run.

Seedsman has been very good and Could play a Cale Morton sort of Role.

Also start of the Year he was Named as 1 that could Debut.

Not Bad for Pick 76? of the National Draft to Crack the AFL Side

Seedsman has more 'go' in his little finger than Morton has in his whole body.

Cale Morton is soft as butter

Odd caff wasnt named
Seeing seedsmen named os surprising but he was training with the senior group, jolly did give him a serve for getting lost in the structure though

Bench for me is Keefe, Rounds, and any two of Jmac/fasolo/buckley

Seedsman has more 'go' in his little finger than Morton has in his whole body.

True but I was talking about the Postion he would play at AFL IF he plays Sunday

Caff didn't look ready last week, Johno is probably being saved up for carlton, Seedsman is a left field selection even for emergency list.
Safe to say one of Keefe or Young will debut.

Cale Morton is soft as butter

Odd caff wasnt named
Seeing seedsmen named os surprising but he was training with the senior group, jolly did give him a serve for getting lost in the structure though

Bench for me is Keefe, Rounds, and any two of Jmac/fasolo/buckley

Well good to see that Jolly is helping Seedsman there with Structures

North have gone quick. As predicted, McKinley dumped like a cheating girlfriend.

True but I was talking about the Postion he would play at AFL IF he plays Sunday

No where near a man waiting for someone to feed him the ball in acres of space otherwise he'll wet himself and turn it over?

Don't care how highly rated a junior he was, he's currently a soft as butter battler in mediocre side

No where near a man waiting for someone to feed him the ball in acres of space otherwise he'll wet himself and turn it over?

Don't care how highly rated a junior he was, he's currently a soft as butter battler in mediocre side

So Seedsman is Way Ahead of Morton;)

I hope at least one of the debutant kids are in the 22 announced tomorrow, as well as Rounds and Fasolo. Taz named at CHF, doesn't look like it will be too much of a loss for the backline, it just means one of them don't start on the bench. Maybe Neon Leon can spend a bit more time up forward, he's hit form right now though so most likely not because we don't want to screw up his routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back