Game Day AFL Round 2 - Collingwood vs Richmond Matchday Discussion (MCG - 7.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah pre game late changes are all part of the theatre.

But if you want to try and pull a swifty (eg brining cox in at the last minute) you would want to be damn sure about it. Personally if you brought him in because you thought Richmond were undersized it would be a big mistake as we'd be sacrificing even more mobility, exactly the reason he was dropped in the first place.

It would be better theatre to name Cox and Rich name a smaller backline.. if you like theatre without a ball being kicked well each to their own.. i much prefer theatre when the first ball is kicked.

I think the team looks far more balanced without Cox. Not sure Broomhead offers a great deal of forward pressure, however, hopefully he can be a relatively unknown and slot 3 goals.

It would be better theatre to name Cox and Rich name a smaller backline.. if you like theatre without a ball being kicked well each to their own.. i much prefer theatre when the first ball is kicked.

I didn't say I liked the theatre. I think it's largely pointless myself but I don't agree with legislating against it. Who cares what the EPL do.

If cox plays we have less chance of winning, regardless of Richmonds selected 22

It definitely feels like a 'must win' game.

I thought I'd run the numbers on how important tonight is. What I found was amazing.

Since the league has been 18 teams in 2012 on 27 occasions teams have been 0-2. Of those 27 only 2 have gone on to play finals with one of those being by default (Carlton replacing Essendon in 2013).

Tonight is a win it just has to be or we really do kiss the season goodbye.

I thought I'd run the numbers on how important tonight is. What I found was amazing.

Since the league has been 18 teams in 2012 on 27 occasions teams have been 0-2. Of those 27 only 2 have gone on to play finals with one of those being by default (Carlton replacing Essendon in 2013).

panic merchant

upload_2017-3-30_8-19-37.jpeg

Last yr I basically watched us play after round 4 with the view that we weren't going to play finals.. wasn't great. I love the feeling we're a chance for it all the way through.. I love that intensity when watching us play.

So pleeeease bloody win!

I was shocked this week how little Bucks actually had to work with at the selection table.

The only real 'fit' midfield players in contention were Aish and Broomhead, although Broomhead didn't even have a JLT game, nor did he play VFL last week.

After that, Lynden Dunn was also a chance.

Finally, Daicos is really the only other fit player on our list who could come in.

Scharenberg looks to be a fair way off to me. He is going ok, but still doesn't have his fitness at a high enough level.

Keeffe and Thomas are still looking very scratchy and aren't dominating at VFL level.

Next week should be a tougher selection with Varcoe back, and Greenwood and Elliott hopefully pressing.

I think there is healthy competition for spots, but we have a few injuries at the moment and I'm a little concerned about our depth.

There's no better feeling than enjoying a coffee first thing in the morning knowing your team is playing later in the day.. f i love Collingwood. C'mon boys!!!
Nice :thumbsu: . On my second morning coffee now Gimpy and enjoying reading the shite on Bigfooty as usual.. my morning routine. About to smash the porcelain with my morning drain-clogger too. Always a highlight of the day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid up forward :)

I would seriously consider it to be honest.

Tigers are going very small up forward. Griffiths and Riewoldt the only talls, and Griffiths really isn't set the world on fire right now.

If we have some momentum, then I'd be happy enough to give Reid a crack at it up forward as a surprise tactic.

I would seriously consider it to be honest.

Tigers are going very small up forward. Griffiths and Riewoldt the only talls, and Griffiths really isn't set the world on fire right now.

If we have some momentum, then I'd be happy enough to give Reid a crack at it up forward as a surprise tactic.

As good as they are down back..

I still would love to see either Howe or Reid up forward. Howe in particular.

Not really, cox took one barely contested mark. Anytime the defender makes body contact he does not take the mark and rarely gets a free. This started against Geelong last year. You don't even need a really tall defender to outpoint Cox. Just someone to stick with him and bump his arms on the way to the contest.

There's no better feeling than enjoying a coffee first thing in the morning knowing your team is playing later in the day.. f i love Collingwood. C'mon boys!!!

It is a different feeling playing on a Thursday. I can't make it to Thursday games because it's just too hard with work the next morning.

But it is nice knowing that I can unwind on the couch tonight and watch my Magpies play.

If we win, I'll be on a high tomorrow at work. If we lose, the door to my office is going to be shut and I won't be talking to anyone!

I was shocked this week how little Bucks actually had to work with at the selection table.

The only real 'fit' midfield players in contention were Aish and Broomhead, although Broomhead didn't even have a JLT game, nor did he play VFL last week.

After that, Lynden Dunn was also a chance.

Finally, Daicos is really the only other fit player on our list who could come in.

Scharenberg looks to be a fair way off to me. He is going ok, but still doesn't have his fitness at a high enough level.

Keeffe and Thomas are still looking very scratchy and aren't dominating at VFL level.

Next week should be a tougher selection with Varcoe back, and Greenwood and Elliott hopefully pressing.

I think there is healthy competition for spots, but we have a few injuries at the moment and I'm a little concerned about our depth.

Scharenberg - an unfortunate calamity from the date he was selected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigers forward pressure will give our defence headaches..

I dont think we'll match up well with Tiger smalls.

Going to need to limit the amount of opportunites/inside 50's.

Schade on Riewoldt is a concern.

They have a huge amount of small/medium forwards. Never seen so many in one side.

Butler, Castagna, Lennon, Lambert, Rioli, Short. Also Martin will play forward.

Not sure how this is going to go. Part of me thinks they are unbalanced. They'll lack some depth in the midfield. The other part of me wonders how we are going to stop them from scoring considering our shortage of small defenders.

I think if we get on top in the middle we could run them off their feet. If Cotchin, Prestia, Caddy and Martin get on top, then the Tigers probably have the finishing power.

Grundy really needs to have a big game and give our mids first use. And our midfield has to smash the Tigers.

My predictions: Comfortable win coming up. Pies by 37. Blair to redeem himself, Maynard to be a brain fart, Fasolo a lazy 4 goals; Schade to not really be noticeable, Adams to shin plenty of it.

Not really, cox took one barely contested mark. Anytime the defender makes body contact he does not take the mark and rarely gets a free. This started against Geelong last year. You don't even need a really tall defender to outpoint Cox. Just someone to stick with him and bump his arms on the way to the contest.

This was just an illustration of my previous posts to the naming of teams rule.

O
They have a huge amount of small/medium forwards. Never seen so many in one side.

Butler, Castagna, Lennon, Lambert, Rioli, Short. Also Martin will play forward.

Not sure how this is going to go. Part of me thinks they are unbalanced. They'll lack some depth in the midfield. The other part of me wonders how we are going to stop them from scoring considering our shortage of small defenders.

I think if we get on top in the middle we could run them off their feet. If Cotchin, Prestia, Caddy and Martin get on top, then the Tigers probably have the finishing power.

Grundy really needs to have a big game and give our mids first use. And our midfield has to smash the Tigers.
Our midfield barely smashes anyone. Last week was a pleasant surprise and we still didn't win

The worry for me going into this game is the respective healthiness of the list.

If we had anywhere near our best 22 I'd be loading up on us at $1.80 but we have at least 4 best 22 out injured, and all 7 unavailable this week would have been in the 25 man squad I suspect.

Compare that to the Tigers injury list, they have 2 players unavailable and only Hampson would be in contention for a game this week. (Also have Morris who is coming off an ACL, so 3 players).

You can see this by the emergencies named. We've named Daicos. Now no offense to young Josh but he's not ready, he's nowhere ready so we realistically have 24 fit and available players for selection this week. The problem is we seem to start every season like this.

It's the lowest point we will be at this year I reckon, so we are vulnerable against a decent football team (Richmond are not pathetic like the Lions or Blues).

I won't be shocked if we lose tonight, but I hope we win, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back