Preview AFL Round 20 - Coll v Port - All Prematch Discussion, Dave 86's Preview post 84, Teams post 105

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 20 - Collingwood vs Port - Prematch & Selection Discussion

Why is everyone so concerned with resting players 4 weeks out from finals? Im amazed to come onto the board every week and see the likes of Ball, Sidebottom, <insert any other midfielder> that needs to be rested for a week. Total crap. We are four weeks away from final #1 and there is every chance they'll get a rest semi-final week.

Remember the days when everyone had a mid season break and ran the year out with none to little problems at all?

Yep. No need to rest anyone. These blokes are elite athletes with built in endurance and stamina. Collingwood in particular have the best fitness staff going around, which inevitably is portrayed by the players on the field.

Why is everyone so concerned with resting players 4 weeks out from finals? Im amazed to come onto the board every week and see the likes of Ball, Sidebottom, <insert any other midfielder> that needs to be rested for a week. Total crap. We are four weeks away from final #1 and there is every chance they'll get a rest semi-final week.

Remember the days when everyone had a mid season break and ran the year out with none to little problems at all?

...because Butters and Malty said that's what they'd be doing this season?

The interstate trip and the six day break after this game leading into the ultra competitive Saints matchup will mean anyone who has even the slightest niggle won't play IMO.

Perfect match for Didak to return though, it will be like a VFL run anyway, well the opposition will be.;)

I hope Sinclair gets a whole game, but if Wellers and Dids return, he may be one of the unlucky few to make way.

The interstate trip and the six day break after this game leading into the ultra competitive Saints matchup will mean anyone who has even the slightest niggle won't play IMO.

Perfect match for Didak to return though, it will be like a VFL run anyway, well the opposition will be.;)

I hope Sinclair gets a whole game, but if Wellers and Dids return, he may be one of the unlucky few to make way.

Really hope Caff gets left out before Sinkers, but it depends on the roles I guess.

...because Butters and Malty said that's what they'd be doing this season?

So that means we have to rest someone every week? We are four weeks out, time to get our best 22 on the park and quit it with this resting stuff. Time to rock n roll.

So that means we have to rest someone every week? We are four weeks out, time to get our best 22 on the park and quit it with this resting stuff. Time to rock n roll.

Nah, I'd rather keep them in Melbourne, give them a week off in time for them to be back in the groove by finals. If you have the luxury of being able to rest players... why not do it? They'll be fresher for finals, which can't possibly be a bad thing.

I'm hoping we come out in the first quarter and play how we did in the last against Essendon.If we do it will get extremely ugly for Port.But like I said last week we probably wont put the foot on the gas and absolutely smoke them for four quarters.We'll play two decent quarters and still win by 80+ although not too sure if it's gonna rain or not.Not like that matters anyway just ask North Melbourne:eek:

Need to start playing our best 22 coming towards finals so Didak,Wellers and Daisy come in pending fitness and injuries :)

Because we are in a position to do so, due to our win-loss record, and the form of younger players pushing up under them.

We have a deep midfield and our young guys are small forwards, so we don't have to flog everyone over 24 weeks. The guys who can play those roles can mix and match.

I'm more than happy for MM to rest whoever he pleases over the next 4 weeks.

Last of all question: If it was the GF last weekend would Daisy, Toovey, Wellingham, Didak, and possibly Dawes have played? Bloody oath they would. So technically they were rested..why not Sidey and co?

Great to hear Didak is a good chance to play.

Interesting if they really see Sinclair as required depth, if so you'd think he will be in for the next couple of weeks so gets fully up to AFL speed and intensity. Hopefully he's not required to play in finals but if they see the need for extra depth then so be it.

Caff should stay as he IS required depth and needs more time to get up to scratch.

Last of all question: If it was the GF last weekend would Daisy, Toovey, Wellingham, Didak, and possibly Dawes have played? Bloody oath they would. So technically they were rested..why not Sidey and co?

Daisy and Wellingham would have but no not all. How could you carry five 'injured' players into a GF? And technically they weren't rested, they were injured. In that case you're saying we're resting players for three weeks four weeks out from finals? :confused: Don't think so.

Sure we have basically a bye this week against Port but teams are usually struggling coming off the bye and winning the next week. That's due to players having to basically work there way back into it after a week off. It's like any injury, time off and you have to build your form back up slightly.

I personally don't think it's the right time of year to be playing with individual players form and momentum. Keep em going IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure we have basically a bye this week against Port but teams are usually struggling coming off the bye and winning the next week. That's due to players having to basically work there way back into it after a week off. It's like any injury, time off and you have to build your form back up slightly.

I personally don't think it's the right time of year to be playing with individual players form and momentum. Keep em going IMO.

Because we still have 7 or so fringe players that need to find some form to be ready for finals. At least Dawes, Didak, Toovey, Wellingham to an extent and Thomas has only played 2 half games in the past 3 weeks. Plus Luke Rounds hasn't played an AFL game in a while I think and we debuted Sinclair which we can only assume is part of our finals squad. Also add Macaffer and Beams who still need a game or two to get used to the AFL pace.

I too would have prefered us going into the season with our best 22 for the remainder of the season, but getting our fringe players used to the AFL pace is more important.

Would be a shame to see sinclair dropped, I thought he showed a bit. Buckley & Keefe need a 'rest'

Daisy and Wellingham would have but no not all. How could you carry five 'injured' players into a GF? And technically they weren't rested, they were injured. In that case you're saying we're resting players for three weeks four weeks out from finals? :confused: Don't think so.

Agree we need to get a move on solidifying our 22 before Finals, but think we could still get away with resting one player stlll each week who has had a heavy workload such as Sidey and Taz.

Shit that has rocked my entire universe. So confused! :D

Hang on...you've already put $20 in, now you pay and extra $30 for the box.

That's $50. And there is only $40 in the box so you are down $10

I'm surprised how few people actually figure that one out.

Most have just taken Harry's word on it being a "good thing" and then when you actually take a step back and think about it, it's a great con.;):cool:

But the box costs $10.

Not exactly "news" as we have known about it for months now, but Chad Cornes will play his last ever AFL game this weekend.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=646216&vId=2608985

He has been a great servant for them, and him being sent off may actually see Port play football instead of the shit they have served up recently.:cool:

Not exactly "news" as we have known about it for months now, but Chad Cornes will play his last ever AFL game this weekend.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=646216&vId=2608985

He has been a great servant for them, and him being sent off may actually see Port play football instead of the shit they have served up recently.:cool:

Clutching at straws just as they did last year with Williams stepping down?

On the who will play scenario, not sure of others but I would be pretty confident in Dids playing if he is 100% based on the fact that he is from here (Adelaide).

I also see Keefe keeping his spot purely based on set up. As soon as Daws is ready to go he will go back to0 the 2's with a chance of coming back next season in here proper role down back.

Keefe should stay for structure but Goldsack would be ripe for the plucking along with Buckley if a couple of stars return. Blair probably performs some role that I don't know about and holds his spot despite seeming average because he is doing a job. Fasolo will stay but Sinclair may find he is a victim of the return of a few big names, and if not, give him another shot. Watching the new guys play in the big time is always fun.

I have a business venture to propose to all the people who claimed to be fooled by Harry's mathematics. Mostly, I look to acquire considerable personal riches at your gullible expense, and apparently, there are no shortage of prospective partners out there in Magpie Land by their own admission.

anyone know what time the boys are catching the plane to adelaide tomorrow??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back