AFL Round 9 - Collingwood v Adelaide Crows - Sat 26/5/12 - 7.40 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 9 - Collingwood v Adelaide Crows - Sat 26/5/12 - 7.40 pm - Changes and Prematch Discus

If we can be Accurate in front of Goals we are a chance.I know Swan and Reid are big losses but I'm sure Sidebottom/Beams will be able to cover the loss of Swan whilst Keefe and Obrien need to cover the loss of Reid.

Cloke also is one that has to have a good game but you can understand him being not at his AA best if he is distracted by contract talks

Re: AFL Round 9 - Collingwood v Adelaide Crows - Sat 26/5/12 - 7.40 pm - Changes and Prematch Discus

This. We don't really have anyone who can match up on him. Talia is ok but still learning. I expect Cloke to get his fair share of the ball, but will need to convert for the Pies to have any chance.

Thanks for the corrections - misread the wiki table.

ADEL are hot and are due, and this will also be there third blockbuster in a row.

Actually 4th, we've had Sydney away, Geelong, Carlton away, and now you guys.

Honestly, I'm clutching at straws to find ways that we can actually win this game, so the fitness comment was one I thought could give us an advantage.

I thought Craig's so called fitness expertise was highly over rated, as your record under him was pretty poor, and it's more the depth of your midfield this year that has seen you win last quarters, rather than superior fitness.

I was also considering the fact we have an extra 2 days rest, which is about the only real advantage we have coming into this game.

Maybe I'm just trying to find a way for us to win, but I firmly believe we still have the best fitness/sports science department in the AFL, so I'll pull that out from time to time.:D

Fair enough mate, as I said, it was a great preview, I guess we'll know on Saturday. ;)

Rutten kept Cloke goalless last year.

With Cloke's head full of visions of multi-million $ offers from clubs fawning at his feet for his signature, will he again be distracted by contract talks? Cos he owes the supporters and teammates his total commitment, and self-indulgent contract thoughts should not be permitted to effect his performance. There is no reason why he should be cut some slack just because he feeds idle speculation by dragging out the process, perhaps until the end of the season.

With Cloke's head full of visions of multi-million $ offers from clubs fawning at his feet for his signature, will he again be distracted by contract talks? Cos he owes the supporters and teammates his total commitment, and self-indulgent contract thoughts should not be permitted to effect his performance. There is no reason why he should be cut some slack just because he feeds idle speculation by dragging out the process, perhaps until the end of the season.

His a human.. not a robot, he cant control what his brain is "permitted" to stress about. Also last i heard the ball was in collingwoods court and they were taking a while to get back to him with a new offer.

His a human.. not a robot, he cant control what his brain is "permitted" to stress about. Also last i heard the ball was in collingwoods court and they were taking a while to get back to him with a new offer.

We are human, too, without the option to choose between $7000000 and $1000000 deals. We require a select group of strangers called Collingwood footballers, to create the highs and lows of our lives through playing either better or worse football than their opponents. Cloke is the essence of that mix of players, the nucleus around which the team is built.

Because supporters are even more human than the players, with raw emotions rather than a phrasebook of politically correct responses (preferably with at least one mention of 'the boys'), their brains also stress, and that stress may turn into darker emotions if Cloke stops clunking marks or kicking goals.

There's only one Cloke and tens of thousands of us. It's like having Germany in Greece's position centre stage of a financial crisis. Cloke is our Germany, the steady and strong go-to-man. If Cloke falters or fails, the hopes of supporters are dashed for another year.

This week Cloke must set himself to challenge Rutten and emerge the winner on the day. Thomas could make a similar pact with himself. Cloke is probably the difference between glory and mediocrity. Rag-dolling Rutten and kicking goals might kick-start Cloke's season and rekindle the fading hopes of diehard supporters.

This. We don't really have anyone who can match up on him. Talia is ok but still learning. I expect Cloke to get his fair share of the ball, but will need to convert for the Pies to have any chance.

What?! Rutten destroys Cloke every time.

You guys will win this by plllllllllllllenty. We just don't have the manpower.

Who are you tipping matt?
You obviously didn't read my preview.;):p

Pies by 7, we have won 13 of our last 14 games interstate, and our last 7 in Adelaide, plus we get an eight day break compared to a 6 day break for the Crows, coming off rock hard Etihad Stadium.

If we are anywhere near them at 3/4 time, we will win.

C'mon Ed, you say this every week ;)

Actually I dont.

I said it against Hawthron and was right
I said it against Carlton and was right
I said it against Essendon and was not far off
I said it against Geelong and again, wasn't far off

Didn't say we'd lose to Port or Bulldogs. Although against Port I said I wouldn't be surprised if we lost given our form. Never said it against Tigers either.

I'm already tipping us against West Coast and Freo in a few weeks.

I just think (know) Adelaide will give it to us hard. Not because at full strength, they're better, but because we're so far from full strength it isn't funny, and they ARE at 98% strength at their home ground.

It's not rocket science.

If we can beat Adelaide this week, honestly, just give us the Top 4 spot from now, and maybe the premiership cup while you're at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol. Without wanting to take the wind out of your sails I'd have to say with both teams at full strength there wouldn't be too much talk about match-ups. I think realistically most Pies supporters will be going in with precious little confidence given our outs. We all saw what happend in Q4 on Friday against a sadly out of form Geelong outfit. Don't even be too surprised if Pendles doesn't make the trip given he limped off the ground on Friday and if he can't come up I suspect Bucks will consider resting Jolly too for the bigger picture.

It's really a numbers game IMO and at this point I believe your mob has them and they're playing pretty well. The only upside for us is that we have 3 byes in a row after Sunday's game and hopefully our season will finally kick start after that. By then we should have Reid, Brown, Swan and Tarrant back and a few others like Thomas and Dids running into form.

I think this is a very interesting post.

If in fact you do have a sore jolly and pendlebury, do u take a view that worse case scenario will be 8 and 3 as you turn for home with a month to rest sore spots and get good players back. Or do u go for broke to try for 9 and 2 and make everyone play.

Before anyone jumps on my throat I'm not for a second suggesting the 22 who take the field won't going full tilt or that if the players mentioned are rested, the team will not still be capable of a win.

This is purely a man management discussion.

You obviously didn't read my preview.;):p

Pies by 7, we have won 13 of our last 14 games interstate, and our last 7 in Adelaide, plus we get an eight day break compared to a 6 day break for the Crows, coming off rock hard Etihad Stadium.

If we are anywhere near them at 3/4 time, we will win.

lol....actually I did. I must have forgotten what your tip was :cool:. Are you not concerned about our lack of man power? That is the only reason why I think we won't win. To many injuries for mine.

Actually I dont.

I said it against Hawthron and was right
I said it against Carlton and was right
I said it against Essendon and was not far off
I said it against Geelong and again, wasn't far off

Didn't say we'd lose to Port or Bulldogs. Although against Port I said I wouldn't be surprised if we lost given our form. Never said it against Tigers either.

I'm already tipping us against West Coast and Freo in a few weeks.

I just think (know) Adelaide will give it to us hard. Not because at full strength, they're better, but because we're so far from full strength it isn't funny, and they ARE at 98% strength at their home ground.

It's not rocket science.

If we can beat Adelaide this week, honestly, just give us the Top 4 spot from now, and maybe the premiership cup while you're at it.

The only thing stopping Adelaide from winnning is Adelaide imo. We will give it to them, but they have this one in the bag.

So Elliot, Young and Williams should be getting 2-3 games before the bye you would think...

Anyone else suddenly 'liking' Adelaide for want of a better word?

Knowing the two coaches are besties makes it hard to have any hatred or dislike for Adelaide now.

Anyone else suddenly 'liking' Adelaide for want of a better word?

Knowing the two coaches are besties makes it hard to have any hatred or dislike for Adelaide now.

Yes, I would have to agree with this.

I think our game hings on one H O'Brien, if he plays like the Harry of old, creating things from the back line we are in with a real shot, however, if he plays like the Harry we have seen this year, we are in trouble

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Round 9 - Collingwood v Adelaide Crows - Sat 26/5/12 - 7.40 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back