Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn’t looked at it that way but yes, after a detour into what Kennett and some other people at Hawthorn wanted it to be about, we are back where it started.

Oldest PR tactic in the book - blame rogue employees (and even better if you have a score to settle with one of them).

I don’t think “we didn’t do anything illegal” really cuts it. They should have acknowledged that they and Kelly in particular need to “do better”. Even in the complaints it sounded clear that Browne and the Board had high expectations that Kelly was allegedly undercutting.

Another reminder that behind the gloss and all the advances there is a lot about the clubs and the AFL that is still basically old school suburban, just with more cash. With the noble exception of AFLW, they are still not environments where an indigenous, non-binary guy with a disability is necessarily going to be made fully welcome.

I don’t think “we didn’t do anything illegal” really cuts it. They should have acknowledged that they and Kelly in particular need to “do better”. Even in the complaints it sounded clear that Browne and the Board had high expectations that Kelly was allegedly undercutting.

Another reminder that behind the gloss and all the advances there is a lot about the clubs and the AFL that is still basically old school suburban, just with more cash. With the noble exception of AFLW, they are still not environments where an indigenous, non-binary guy with a disability is necessarily going to be made fully welcome.

All very true, but do we think Jen Watt would have acted like Kelly did? Or Craig Vozzo at Essendon.

Kelly is meathead ******* throwback and the appointment was always bodgy

It's just really sad that this neanderthal has effectively set the entire AFL back a decade. Several clubs welcomed Collingwood's "Do Better" report and held it up as the standard that the AFL should endorse and that all clubs should implement and aspire to. Now that's much harder to argue when the club that commissioned the report and policy guidelines clearly does not follow through.

It's just really sad that this neanderthal has effectively set the entire AFL back a decade. Several clubs welcomed Collingwood's "Do Better" report and held it up as the standard that the AFL should endorse and that all clubs should implement and aspire to. Now that's much harder to argue when the club that commissioned the report and policy guidelines clearly does not follow through.
Just cool your jets there my Friend.

Allegations are just that. If we have learned anything from our own clubs experience, we shouldn't Cancel anyone until all the evidence has been submitted and weighed in a Court of Law.

Collingwood say they are fully prepared to defend its actions and the actions of Kelly in Court, strongly suggest waiting for it to play out in court before passing judgement.

Rioli’s racism claims against Hawthorn aired in court documents​

By Jake Niall
August 5, 2024 — 1.01pm

Three former Hawthorn players, headed by ex-champion Cyril Rioli, have given detailed accounts of their experiences as part of their racism court action against their former club.

Their statement of claim – which also includes Rioli’s wife, Shannyn Ah-Sam Rioli, his ex-teammates Carl Peterson and Jermaine Miller-Lewis, and Indigenous ex-official Leon Egan and the partner of another former player – states that, due to “unlawful discrimination” by Hawthorn, the players suffered “distress”, “psychological harm”, and “personal harm”.

In the case of the three players, it is also claimed that they suffered a “loss of earnings and loss of earning capacity”.

The players, their partners, and Egan have not specified an amount for damages in their claim, as is customary for Federal Court actions.

The claim, filed in the Federal Court of Australia, is the result of a breakdown in mediation talks with the Hawks at the Human Rights Commission.

In response to the claim, Hawthorn president Andy Gowers said: “As we have done throughout this process, we will continue to work towards a resolution in a fair and timely manner for all parties.

“The Federal Court process will importantly give Hawthorn Football Club the opportunity to respond to these allegations.

“Given the matter is now before the courts, it would be inappropriate to make any kind of comment that could impact on that process.”

More to come

Clarko comes across as insensitive and weird, not racist.

Goodes stuff is there and is really damaging for Hawthorn.

Pregnancy stuff has dramatically dialled down from the Rusty/Binmada portrayals.

At that meeting:

(a) there was initially some friendly and positive discussion about how impressed the coaches were with Mr Peterson’s development and skills as a player;

(b) Mr Burt then informed Mr Peterson that he had shared the Mr Peterson’s newswith Mr Clarkson and Mr Fagan;

(c) Mr Burt said words to the effect: “Carl, being a father is a huge responsibility and we don’t think you’re ready to be a father”;

(d) Mr Clarkson said words to the effect: “Carl, you need to break up with Nikita and focus only on your football”

Mr Clarkson said words to the effect: “unless you break up with her and tell her to terminate the pregnancy, your football career will be in jeopardy”;

This is remarkably different to how Jackson and Binmada portrayed the discussion.

It is worth noting that Peterson failed a drug test while at Hawthorn too.

Clarko comes across as insensitive and weird, not racist.

Goodes stuff is there and is really damaging for Hawthorn.

Pregnancy stuff has dramatically dialled down from the Rusty/Binmada portrayals.
Insensitive and weird just about captures it.

1722831099263.png

🤦‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At that meeting:

(a) there was initially some friendly and positive discussion about how impressed the coaches were with Mr Peterson’s development and skills as a player;

(b) Mr Burt then informed Mr Peterson that he had shared the Mr Peterson’s newswith Mr Clarkson and Mr Fagan;

(c) Mr Burt said words to the effect: “Carl, being a father is a huge responsibility and we don’t think you’re ready to be a father”;

(d) Mr Clarkson said words to the effect: “Carl, you need to break up with Nikita and focus only on your football”

Mr Clarkson said words to the effect: “unless you break up with her and tell her to terminate the pregnancy, your football career will be in jeopardy”;

This is remarkably different to how Jackson and Binmada portrayed the discussion.

It is worth noting that Peterson failed a drug test while at Hawthorn too.

There was still a part mentioning termination.

Clarko and Hawthorn came across as very controlling and being extremely culturally insensitive.

Having said that there were some eye raising bits like Clarko calling Rioli, Humphrey B Bear thereby associating him with a black bear.

I think Burt probably came out looking the worst in that document.

Having said that these are still only allegations and yet to be proven.

I believe Hawthorn will definitely take a whack though for not providing a safe environment. .

Clarko and Hawthorn came across as very controlling and being extremely culturally insensitive.

Having said that there were some eye raising bits like Clarko calling Rioli, Humphrey B Bear thereby associating him with a black bear.

I believe Hawthorn will definitely take a whack though for not providing a safe environment. .

Matthew Kreuzer was called Humphrey at Carlton.

It was due to him not saying much

Matthew Kreuzer was called Humphrey at Carlton.

It was due to him not saying much
As was Shaun Atley when he was first drafted for the same reason.

As written by Andrew Swallow:

Shaun Atley’s nickname ‘Humphrey’ has stuck but I’m not quite sure he understands why we call him that. Ben Speight sent him a photo of Humphrey B Bear and Atts said ‘I don’t even look like Humphrey!’. He totally missed the point that we call him Humphrey because he never says anything.

Yeah, and we know the same controlling stuff was extended to Sam Mitchell.

Yeah that's insensitive, but did Clarko really give it to him because he's Aboriginal?

I think Rioli loss of earnings will be the really big one.

The others don't have much of a leg to stand on there.

Yeah, notwithstanding that its all still allegations until the court determines otherwise, that Peterson section still makes for hard reading.

Yeah, notwithstanding that its all still allegations until the court determines otherwise, that Peterson section still makes for hard reading.

It does. But Clarko not named as a defendant is crucial too. It will be fascinating to hear what evidence he gives.

Yeah that's insensitive, but did Clarko really give it to him because he's Aboriginal?

Sorry, I never meant eye raising in that these claims were even included in the lawsuit, the same with the other nickname Dynamite, not to imply Clarko was being insensitive.

It does. But Clarko not named as a defendant is crucial too. It will be fascinating to hear what evidence he gives.

Clarko not being named is only because he was part of the Hawthorn football club and it seems from reading that document that the Hawthorn football club as a whole had an issue with the how they dealt with the Indigenous players that played for them and to be honest I would suggest most clubs would have similar issues if they dug deep enough.

It's all difficult tbh. A number of players named as witnesses, including Jed Anderson who will presumably be called to give evidence (and may have agreed to do so).

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back