Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Atley was called Humphrey too because he didn’t talk much. I can’t believe Cryil thinks it’s because the bear is brown.

Yep - 'he said, she said' testimony is always difficult to prove. Just don't know how this ends with most folk satisfied. I suppose the nature of legal action like this is that one side won't be happy.

For what it's worth, the AFL investigation obviously heard these allegations but found that they could not be substantiated. In other words, there were 4 people in the room. One alleges that he was told an abortion was essential if he wanted to be an AFL footballer. The other 3 are adamant that it never happened.

Last edited:

Very sad about Grant Birchall saying that. I know it was 11 years ago, but its a horrible comment to make. He has a stand named after him hear in Launceston, I think he will need to publicly apologise.
I used to play with an Indigenous fella who insisted everyone call him ‘Boonga’.

Not something I felt very comfortable with.

I strongly suspect that in this one - notably the Peterson abortion claim - it is going to come down to who said exactly what, and how and after how many times.

Very interesting that Peterson acknowledges failing a drug test after arriving at Hawthorn. I mean, ffs when I was taking lots of drugs when I was that age more than one couple I knew had a termination because they knew they weren't ready.
Is it Peterson vs the world over the termination claim?
Isn’t the allegation that the people present were Burt, Clarkson, Fagan in and Peterson?
Then afterwards Peterson, Burt and Clarkson?
I’m curious to know what documentation if any Hawthorn has from the time that add more details to the circumstances.

Matt Rendell got dragged across the coals for saying pretty much exactly that. Adam Simpson was a littler more subtle when he suggested clubs would only draft private school boys.
He was a bit of a nuff on SEN but he knew his stuff. His treatment by the AFL was woeful.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bad take.
Personally I think the number of aboriginal players taken with speculative picks will decrease, but that's as much an opinion based on the gentrification of the AFL as it is this stuff.

I don't have much faith in the AFL investing enough resources to identify draft talent in some of the more isolated areas, considering how much they've trended towards trying to get every footballer into elite private schools where they reach 18 and their pre-draft interviews sound like they were half written by a professional PR manager.

This opens up the door for Jamie MacMillan to sue West Coast over calling him a horse. :stern look

Clarkson has certain hot topic issues his legal team need to kill, at whatever the cost, otherwise his career and legacy is done for. I think if he/his legal team weren't confident of killing these then they probably would have made more of an effort during mediation. This is the area which is going to get bloody, including a likely defamation suit which will require them to prove their allegations. It is going to get ugly.

Not too be too insensitive but you all do know that abortion is a legal right for women in this country? A woman chooses whether or not she goes to term, she has control over her body. Women fought the church and politicians for many years to gain control over their bodies. Don’t demonise abortion as a legitimate option for women, men whether they be the partner, father brother friend can proffer their advice to the woman or indeed the partner of the woman after all it’s a free country but guess what it still comes down to the woman’s choice. In this case the woman chose to proceed with the pregnancy regardless of any man’s opinion and that is all we need to know about that. Trying to say ‘ we will sack you if you’re partner doesn’t have an abortion’ is simply a ludicrous proposition in the context of our society and laws. It might be a different proposition if we were in the USA where they’re about to have a national election where the number one issue is likely to be abortion and a woman’s right to have control over their own bodies. Thank goodness we live in Australia

Should we be keeping a hidden line open to simpson just in case things blows over and clarkson is forced to resign due to the sheer weight of negativity as an insurance policy?
could add horse to the list as well after the weekend….

knowing our luck, if it ever got down to that situation. it will come out that simmo was serving human meat in his hungry jack stores or something ridiculous like that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have much faith in the AFL investing enough resources to identify draft talent in some of the more isolated areas, considering how much they've trended towards trying to get every footballer into elite private schools where they reach 18 and their pre-draft interviews sound like they were half written by a professional PR manager.
and why wouldn't they? all the best long term players come from elite private schools, our captain is indigenous AND went to an elite private school....

Not too be too insensitive but you all do know that abortion is a legal right for women in this country? A woman chooses whether or not she goes to term, she has control over her body. Women fought the church and politicians for many years to gain control over their bodies. Don’t demonise abortion as a legitimate option for women, men whether they be the partner, father brother friend can proffer their advice to the woman or indeed the partner of the woman after all it’s a free country but guess what it still comes down to the woman’s choice. In this case the woman chose to proceed with the pregnancy regardless of any man’s opinion and that is all we need to know about that. Trying to say ‘ we will sack you if you’re partner doesn’t have an abortion’ is simply a ludicrous proposition in the context of our society and laws. It might be a different proposition if we were in the USA where they’re about to have a national election where the number one issue is likely to be abortion and a woman’s right to have control over their own bodies. Thank goodness we live in Australia
There's a big difference between "we will sack you" and "your career will be in jeopardy".

Obviously it depends on the context but I imagine coaches tell players "your career will be in jeopardy if you keep doing this" all the time from the perspective of them seeing someone is not getting the best out of themselves as a player and as a result will lose their career not just their position on that club's list. Pretty sure that was what people said to Sleevo after his stupid bike accident, people including Boomer on national radio.

When he became coach of North, Clarkson said that a bunch of old white dudes at the club said very similar things to him after he was going off the rails a bit after his brother's death when he was young and that was the difference between him having a shit life and the life he had. It was part of what motivated him to come back and coach us. Paying what he saw as a debt off.

So depending on the context what was said could be two very different things regardless of how it was taken.

Ultimately they aren't gonna sack him cos of his personal life but cos of how he performs on the training track and onfield. While Peterson might not understand that I'd be surprised if he or any other footy player didn't really.

But if the environment at Hawthorn was bad enough then maybe its not that simple and he didn't see it that way. Some of that stuff is pretty ****ed.

Yeah, notwithstanding that its all still allegations until the court determines otherwise, that Peterson section still makes for hard reading.
No it doesn’t.

Peterson was a hot head.
A consistent drug user. I wonder if Hawthorn will reveal this.

Just a really immature young man who made terrible choices.
It’s no secret he used to joke publicly about how he fathered children to multiple women and they were all after him.

I would not believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Personally I think the number of aboriginal players taken with speculative picks will decrease, but that's as much an opinion based on the gentrification of the AFL as it is this stuff.

For some Aboriginal people, playing football is possibly the only way they can make a living and provide a future for generations to come. We've also seen Sudanese players come through because society has embraced the multicultural aspect of Australia. It is an amazing thing to watch our game become so diverse. Unfortunately, this opens up players to the dark side of sporting culture (which is still horrific).

The private school thing doesn't matter as much when the AFL is trying so desperately to get into more talent pools. NT still lacks so much funding but can be a complete 180 for communities that are struggling and need support. If the AFL is prepared to do it, then the clubs can embrace it too. How amazing would it be for poverty-stricken communities to get some form of stability through sports where they can provide and also get a proper education? All of a sudden, crime isn't the only outlet and there is a bright future for a lot of kids that need some guidance.

The issue here isn't the AFL. It was Hawthorn. They didn't do enough to make the players feel comfortable (behind the scenes), they didn't provide enough support, and they didn't do what we tried to do with Tarryn. We have to embrace the fact any player (not just Aboriginal) is going to struggle and they need all the support possible to get through it. Footy clubs are an escape from hardship for these blokes and it is just as easy to fall into the dark side (especially when the colour of your skin can become a launch pad for some serious mental health problems stemming from how badly they can be racially vilified). Hawthorn, let the dark side of it take over and did nothing to rectify or make amends. The last thing you want to do is let a player in a rather unfamiliar environment, be subject to conditions that are not comfortable for them and they feel like they are an outsider. Utterly horrifying. I can't imagine what it would be like.

This isn't the only thing with Hawthorn either. Majak Daw copped his fair share too lets not forget.

The club needs to make a stance. I bet you, Clarko, did everything he could to try to embrace all of his players (especially Cyril and co.) because he would know what his Aboriginal teammates at North would've gone through. He saw it himself.

The rot starts at the top. Hawthorn is a disgraceful organisation and the fact three people out of an entire club were singled out just smells like a cover-up for an even bigger issue. I feel so bad for everyone involved except the Hawthorn Football Club because they knew.

No it doesn’t.

Peterson was a hot head.
A consistent drug user. I wonder if Hawthorn will reveal this.

Just a really immature young man who made terrible choices.
It’s no secret he used to joke publicly about how he fathered children to multiple women and they were all after him.

I would not believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
I think you can guarantee any of the players indiscretions will be made public.
Particularly Peterson given the people he named all say the meeting didn't happen.
I'm not really into speculation, but can't help thinking that Peterson asked the club for help to get away from his partner, but has subsequently told his partner a different story. I'm lead to believe taking responsibility was never Peterson's strong suit.

I think you can guarantee any of the players indiscretions will be made public.
Particularly Peterson given the people he named all say the meeting didn't happen.
I'm not really into speculation, but can't help thinking that Peterson asked the club for help to get away from his partner, but has subsequently told his partner a different story. I'm lead to believe taking responsibility was never Peterson's strong suit.
When this story broke in 2022, I immediately guessed that Peterson would be involved and would be a major claimant.

And lo and behold here he is front and centre.

He was a desperate young man making terrible decisions whilst on Hawthorns list.
He had financial problems stemming from methamphetamine use, hanging out with the wrong crowd and fathering children to multiple women. All whilst failing to take any responsibility.

I still think Clarko, Fagan and Burt never wanted it to get to this stage and head to the federal court because he was still their player under their care and they want to protect him. Probably still do.
100% they had his best interests at heart.

And so from a position of desperation and shamefully is opportunistic, I can’t speak for the others but Peterson is gunning for a settlement, which Hawthorn will agree to out of pitiful courtesy.

If a 6 figure sum can help you out in life, then here it is.

When this story broke in 2022, I immediately guessed that Peterson would be involved and would be a major claimant.

And lo and behold here he is front and centre.

He was a desperate young man making terrible decisions whilst on Hawthorns list.
He had financial problems stemming from methamphetamine use, hanging out with the wrong crowd and fathering children to multiple women. All whilst failing to take any responsibility.

I still think Clarko, Fagan and Burt never wanted it to get to this stage and head to the federal court because he was still their player under their care and they want to protect him. Probably still do.
100% they had his best interests at heart.

And so from a position of desperation and shamefully is opportunistic, I can’t speak for the others but Peterson is gunning for a settlement, which Hawthorn will agree to out of pitiful courtesy.

If a 6 figure sum can help you out in life, then here it is.
Hear, hear

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back