Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a point that needs to be remembered, it's Hawthorn that is the defendant, so it's up to them how they defend. Hell, if they defend. I would have thought if a settlement was ever to be reached it would be before legal action, but here we are and you never know :shrug:

clarkson will need to be careful to not allow hfc throwing him under the bus...

i.e. the club had no idea about the coaches doing these stuff, we gave them all the power type of stuff.

My wife accidentally got pregnant last year and we had friends say to us you know you don’t have to have the baby if you aren’t ready. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was more along those lines with a young guy freaking out about having a kid, rather than a specifically racist targeted comment
PM if you need explanation about how this accident occurred 😉

I posted earlier once mediation fell through that once this hits the federal court the judge is going to get the parties together and order a pre trial mediation, which ever party doesn’t play ball will cop a massive whack. As a number of us have said from the start the only thing that really needs to be resolved is how much $ hawthorn will agree to pay to each party 😉

I posted earlier once mediation fell through that once this hits the federal court the judge is going to get the parties together and order a pre trial mediation, which ever party doesn’t play ball will cop a massive whack. As a number of us have said from the start the only thing that really needs to be resolved is how much $ hawthorn will agree to pay to each party 😉

Correct, it's all about the money.

There won't be any apologies but $$$ can be more.

If the players want to go the full course then it's game on.

Question for the legal eagles

The players have submitted the 89 page document listing their grievances.

Will hawthorn release a counter document pre trial starting?
Not a legal eagle but I reckon that document was just part of a strategy to force hawthorns hand, I suspect it’s best use will be fish n chip paper

Question for the legal eagles

The players have submitted the 89 page document listing their grievances.

Will hawthorn release a counter document pre trial starting?
the complainants didn't release the statement claim, the court did, citing public interest. And yes, Hawthorn will file a defence

Apologies for the intrusion but while not claiming the title of legal eagle I can answer a couple of questions.

Yes Hawthorn will put on a defence. That will happen in a month or so. The statement of claim and defence will probably both be amended a few times as this goes through the courts. If the matter gets to trial that’s probably a minimum of 18 months away.

Clarko has lawyers. Because he’s not a defendant they won’t be allowed to speak at a trial. But no doubt they will be wanting to work with Hawthorn’s lawyers so that they ask the “right” questions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. I knew that, but I was more wanting to know if it’s a response that goes into detail about each allegation/grievance. Or a just a short document that says they’ll be defending the allegations.
It’s not sufficient in the Federal Court to just say “Hawthorn denies paragraph x as untrue” - you have to give the detail of why you say it’s untrue. So they’ll have to provide an alternative narrative.

So wait, people make huge allegations at clarko, but because the court case is directed at 'Hawthorn', he can't defend himself?

I’d be shocked if he didn’t have very high powered representation.
Clarko mortgaged his house to hire strong legal representation.
Not sure who his QC is or what legal counsel he’s with, but he’s left no stone unturned.

He's not even asking for AFL/North to cover any costs.

This is about doing what’s right after he feels like he’s been burnt badly and has done nothing wrong.

So wait, people make huge allegations at clarko, but because the court case is directed at 'Hawthorn', he can't defend himself?

Hawthorn will sink faster than the Titanic if they don't call Clarkson as a witness to give his version of events and work with his legal team.

Thats straight to the police. Why didn’t they make a police report?
That's a mandatory reporting situation afaik. It was 2019.

ie - If that happened in front of other Hawthorn staff and they didn't report they could also be in serious trouble.

That's a point that needs to be remembered, it's Hawthorn that is the defendant, so it's up to them how they defend. Hell, if they defend. I would have thought if a settlement was ever to be reached it would be before legal action, but here we are and you never know :shrug:

Both sides may find what Clarko says on the stand damages them immensley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back