Australia World Cup Squad 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont pick Finch then. Surely its a fit Clarke > Finch, especially in a world cup where leadership and experience will be vital

Or let's not pick a 50% fit Clarke

Dont pick Finch then. Surely its a fit Clarke > Finch, especially in a world cup where leadership and experience will be vital

Yeah drop Australias no1 batsman of 2014 for a bloke who will break down halfway through the game...

Finch is the only batsman in Australias top 6 I would have confidence in to actually smash a century

Yeah drop Australias no1 batsman of 2014 for a bloke who will break down halfway through the game...

Finch is the only batsman in Australias top 6 I would have confidence in to actually smash a century
Yeah I can also see him cashing in against Scotland or Afghanistan ;)

He worries me a bit but he's done enough to be first choice for the tournament.

Even though Finch as been one of the better preformed odi batsmen of late

Yeah i'm not saying he won't do well opening & i really hope he does well but in world cups the class rises to the top and i'm just not as confident in him as i am with Warner & Watson but that's just a gut feeling more than anything.

If Finch fires then where laughing.

no real surprises in the squad of 15.

in the successful 99,03,07 campaigns the last 4 players were hardly used.

the main issues with the side is:
- can clarke/bailey/smith squeeze into the same XI - for me one must miss out for team balance
(would be less of a problem if clarke unfit and white or s marsh came into squad as reserve bat)
- can watto/m marsh/maxwell/faulkner all play together in the same XI - for me one must miss out for team balance
(i think watto & faulkner are locks)
2 weaknesses:
- haddin taking up a spot in the team (it'd be awesome if warner was a keeper and could play that keeper/opening bat)
- who is going to bowl spin in need (surely doherty will warm the bench most of the tournament)

bottom line is we need to win 3 of our first 6 games (afghanistan, scotland and bangladesh and if we drop one of those we still have sri lanka, england and new zealand) to qualify for the real stuff.

it's a case of having our best XI ready then to play 3 good games in a row .

the best balanced XI would be:
warner
finch
watson
2 of clarke/bailey/smith
1 of m.marsh/maxwell
haddin
faulkner
johnson
2 of starc/cummins/hazlewood/doherty

* numbers 6,7,8 could vary depending on situation of the game etc.

Starc definitely plays, as does Maxwell. Which leaves Faulkner and M Marsh fighting for 1 spot, Then Hazlewood, Cummins and Doherty for that last spot

I would pick:

Warner
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
M.Marsh
Haddin
Maxwell
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc

Serious firepower in the batting all the way to #9 and then adequate hitters in Johnson and at 10 & 11 as well.

2 genuine fast bowling options. Faulkner and Watson both superb ODI bowlers with good variations. Mitch Marsh can be used, but doesn't neccessairly need to be. Maxwell as the spin option, and if you want someone turning it the other way, Clarke can bowl his tweakers (he's as good as Dohery imo anyway!)

However, I fear they might go something like this instead:

Warner
Finch
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Bailey
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Doherty

I don't think that's anywhere near as strong.

Clarke's fitness or otherwise has the potential to completely change the balance of the side, as I think Smith & Bailey are locks, so if Clarke becomes a lock we suddenly have 3 middle order batsmen for only 2 spots and someone else will miss out.

Starc definitely plays, as does Maxwell. Which leaves Faulkner and M Marsh fighting for 1 spot, Then Hazlewood, Cummins and Doherty for that last spot

Working on who would you pick for the world cup final at the MCG

Warner
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Haddin
Maxwell
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Doherty

For mine - faulkner and starc are the death bowlers. I'm picking maxwell for his spin option. I think we need two spinners at the G.

I'd bowl Johnson and Starc for 10 overs.

I see Marsh and Maxwell competing - 2 guys who bat and then bowl a bit. Neither can be considered in the top 4 bowlers.

Clarke and Watson being underrated a little bit here, look at the ODI stats.

Probably oversells Clarke a little, given his injury problems and lack of recent ODI cricket, and undersells Smith given his current form. But this is a reasonable guide for our batting stocks. Watto averaging 42 and striking at 97 stands out likes dogs balls against all others.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=batting

Working on who would you pick for the world cup final at the MCG

Warner
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Haddin
Maxwell
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Doherty

For mine - faulkner and starc are the death bowlers. I'm picking maxwell for his spin option. I think we need two spinners at the G.

I'd bowl Johnson and Starc for 10 overs.

I see Marsh and Maxwell competing - 2 guys who bat and then bowl a bit. Neither can be considered in the top 4 bowlers.
Finch scored more runs than any other Australian last year. He's going to play. It'll hopefully be:

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey
M Marsh
Maxwell
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not, but why risk him when the difference in the team is minimal?
I'm with you, I'm happy for Clarke to miss out and Bailey play instead. I just find it funny how tenuous the position in the team for our back up skipper is. If he's in, he's captain...if he's not captain, he probably misses out a spot in the team altogether. :p

I'm with you, I'm happy for Clarke to miss out and Bailey play instead. I just find it funny how tenuous the position in the team for our back up skipper is. If he's in, he's captain...if he's not captain, he probably misses out a spot in the team altogether. :p
Can he keep?

Finch scored more runs than any other Australian last year. He's going to play. It'll hopefully be:

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey
M Marsh
Maxwell
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood

Misleading stat though

A lot of that was due to the fact the best batsmen weren't playing due to being rested in a lot of games

Faulkner was our leading wicket taker and is no certainty.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey
M Marsh
Maxwell
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood

Good team but i'd be very surprised if Faulkner doesn't play. Reckon it's out of Marsh & Maxwell for the last all-rounder spot.

Misleading stat though

A lot of that was due to the fact the best batsmen weren't playing due to being rested in a lot of games

Faulkner was our leading wicket taker and is no certainty.
Also has a higher average of all of them bar Smith.
Good team but i'd be very surprised if Faulkner doesn't play. Reckon it's out of Marsh & Maxwell for the last all-rounder spot.
Maxwell is going to play. I'd prefer Marsh to Faulkner.

Maxwell is going to play. I'd prefer Marsh to Faulkner.[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer Faulkner to Marsh but each to there own. Finding this the toughest issue in the side as i don't think all 3 can play in the side without weakening the batting or bowling.

So Marsh out for me although i really want him in the side it's just that we need Maxwell for his spin bowling especially & i rate Faulkner very highly in ODI's as the late boundary hitter & hopefully his bowling can keep improving as he does have a lot of variety.

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this has been posted already I couldn't see it however with the world Cup coming up what are your throughts on the Australian Squad announced ?

Australia's Cricket World Cup squad: Michael Clarke (c), George Bailey (v), Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Shane Watson.

I'm not too happy with the picking of Clarke,Haddin and Watson..

Clarke - Injury reasons
Haddin - Not a one day player when australian has so many choices to get a better keeper (Ludeman, Wade etc.)
Watson - Just not a fan more about the $$$ for him nothing more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia World Cup Squad 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back