Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Weightman ain't B-Grade, guy is very good and had no pre-season. Every opponent that rolled through marking him made me shudder. No answers.

2 weeks in a row of poor Sub choices. Love the Berg but is not at all suited to the sub role.

I forgive the youngsters, we've been in games because of them, not the old guard, a few them starting to tire and the 'grown-ups' in the room let us down.

The scoreboard completely flatters us, they were a player down for nearly a half (not to mention the early sub) and seemed to be quite content in 2nd gear for long periods.

YET, despite all my whinging, I'm frustrated in the way a normal supporter should be, not in the 'which gypsie did we offend to be cursed for eternity' way I have for long stretches across the past few years. I'm frustrated because we could have won.

Clear signs of improvement, the most noticeable being we have assembled some young mids who show the ability to flip the ball by hand with speed to create outside run - Phillips, Sheezel, Powell, Wardlaw (albeit down today), to join Jy (and LDU on return). When they get well oiled, that group will give the likes of Stephenson and Scott a lot to run onto.

The other comment I'd make is CCJ - gives us something structurally, shows glimpses so we need to persist, but the days of the lumbering ruckman are gone. He needs to buckle down to an absolutely flogging in the pre-season to improve his running ability - he could lose a couple of kegs without compromising too much strength, and if that went into improved running, we'll be better off
The handball through trafffic is so exciting to watch. We’re about 20/30 games away from it really clicking with this group imo.

I think after today I feel like we've officially moved past the 'I hope we don't get flogged by over 40 points again' stage and into the 'I expect that we're in every game and am disappointed when we lose' stage.

Around this time last year we were on about our 9th consecutive 45+ point smashing and had 57 and 112 point losses coming over the following 2 games. Now I feel like we've been in every game over the last month and am disappointed we can't get the win.

Good things are coming but it's about time we turn this competitiveness into wins.
On my rebuild ladder we started at shithouse then moved onto just being shit now we are maturing and have hit mediocre but we are now competitive and getting closer to a good win

The Greenwood and Jy combo didn't work in the middle. Just didn't make the Dogs midfield accountable at all.

At this stage, only one should be in there and the other rests forward or plays wing.

We badly need a quality defender who can win a 50/50 against small/medium forwards.

Other than that, not an awful performance from our lot today. Future is bright, just need to keep pumping games into our young stars.

We are in trouble once Goldy is gone.

Wanted that win, but not despondent at the result.
You don’t think Xerri can cover once Goldy goes?

I think after today I feel like we've officially moved past the 'I hope we don't get flogged by over 40 points again' stage and into the 'I expect that we're in every game and am disappointed when we lose' stage.

Around this time last year we were on about our 9th consecutive 45+ point smashing and had 57 and 112 point losses coming over the following 2 games. Now I feel like we've been in every game over the last month and am disappointed we can't get the win.

Good things are coming but it's about time we turn this competitiveness into wins.
Percentage paints an improved pic as well

Exactly, we botched the first attempt at a rebuild, doing it right on the doorstep of the s**tshow that was covid didnt help I wouldnt have thought, but with the amount of changes to admin and coaching staff from 2022 to now I think this year has to be viewed as it's own new chapter in the rebuild, we continue to show we have kids who can seriously play and have some vague gameplan we are working towards and alot of the plodders will continue to be found out. Whereas last year, week after week, even average teams looked like the Harlem Globetrotters and we looked like the Washington Generals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange feeling. Such a disparity in general play but we only lost by 21 to a team that usually belts us. Pretty sure we've had other games where we've matched the opposition better but lost by more.

Midfield was well beaten, and the ease with which they were able to transition the ball from our F50 to theirs was frustratingly familiar. Hopefully before too long we're able to generate similarly smooth ball movement from our D50. It won't happen if we persist in playing the same back 6 as today.

That all said, we could've been even closer were it not for some momentum sapping moments. I think we fluffed about 3 or 4 relatively simple kicks to square it someone in the corridor. What should have been set-shots on goal or good forward forays ended up going up the other end. I long for the day when these basic skill errors are no more.

Anyway, the week off gives them all a chance rest & recover and hopefully we can snag a win or two in the run home.

That stat isn't as bad as it seems... well that's the wrong way to put it. That stat doesn't really tell the story.

I thought the ball didn't spend alot of time in our 50 compared to them. It would either go in then out again because of a shit kick or it'd go in and we'd score. There was alot less loose ball.

Forwards made the best of their opportunities. Backs held up well considering the enormous amount of inside 50's. If the mids had even come close to breaking even we would have won.
120 point loss.
60 point loss.
21 point loss.
Next time we're a chance???🤷‍♂️

Let"s not forget the Dogs won a premiership with a young side and a young midfield.
He can - and he"s just 75kg and 179cm. He's yet another player showing you don't need to be big and tall.
So he's the same height and a kg heavier than Schimma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back