Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hale as Captain?:think:

A point that even most big forwards & 2nd Rucks miss is that he knew how to be effective without being involved.

He loved dragging a KPD away from the goal square with a dummy lead to the nearside Forward Pocket, leaving the goals wide open for our medium/mobile forwards running in from CHF or the fatter side of the ground.

The reason why Hale was so criminally under-rated (even by our own), is the very flexibility that made him so valuable. Clarkson found/created a role within which he could not only succeed, but maximise his contribution to the team as a whole.

As a key forward, he'd kick <2 goals a game - below average for a FF (where he was often named/lined up).
As a ruck, he'd get 10-15 hitouts, a few tackles, and a dozen touches - pretty average for a ruck.

The thing was, Hale did both in the same game. No-one could argue he was an elite Ruck, or an elite KPF. As a 2nd Ruck/KPF he was arguably the best in the league for quite a few years. Depending on matchups and tactics he could play as a genuine KPF (with the nous for the position, not just big and tall like Ceglar/McEvoy), and especially later in his career was very effective as a genuine ruck too.

I find a strong correlation between people who rate Hale and those who 'understand' the game and can discuss the game in depth - rather than just follow the media's stories.
You mean Hale was the antithesis of Bondi Tippett...

I was at the scratch match against Carlton and I must say, there is a lot to pick apart. The new rules are very interesting, and our young guys put on a clinic.
I have given all my mates a detailed breakdown of everything I observed at Ikon Park so I thought I would share it here.

First of all, centre clearances will mean a lot more with the new rules. Even with their dreadful ball moving skills, even Carlton had a lot less turn overs. Play still gets congested but it takes a while for half backs and forwards to join the fray, so good midfielders who get clearances get the ball forward a lot easier. I did not notice the kick out rule much so I wont comment.

With the player observations I will list them in order of personal interest.

JOM - Cripps and Fisher were not playing so Carlton's centre bounce were quite undermanned. But I don't think it would have made much difference. Suddenly Jaeger is the focal point of our team. He somehow looks even stronger and faster then last year, players who tackle him cant seem to get him off his feet. His disposal is also noticeably cleaner, must be confidence. Saw him pull off a few Sam Mitchell handballs where he finds a team mate with pass like a gunshot, woven between 2-3 Blues.

James Cousins - I'll get the bad news out first which is Clarko tried to swing him forward a few times, he is a great mark but has little forward craft and I feel he is wasting his time in the forward 50. But in the centre, my word this guy dragged to ball out from under the noses of Ed Curnow and Marc Murphy so consistently. In the second half, Jaeger and Shiels were rested and the inside mids were Cousins, Worpel and Jones and they still dominated every bounce. Huge upside, very very very solid extractor and has a little bit more flair then last year. Willing to back himself in and take on a tackle or two.

Dylan Moore - Moore had a great game, he definitely lived up to the hype he created in the Box Hill Hawks 2018 Finals Series. He zips around applying pressure and tackling when we don't have the ball, and when we do have the ball he is always in a good position in front of goals. Did well even with the attention of Nic Newman and Jarrod Garlett. Good footy brain like Morrison and pulled off a crazy dribble kick goal from the boundary.

Connor Nash - This guy. Kicked 2 goals purely off out-maneuvering Liam Jones and Jacob Weitering. He must've grown since we picked him up too because I had no clue he was 197cm and boy he can still put on the skates. Needs to work on over head marking but he hits packs hard, leads well and has pace to burn off any opposition key defender. Should be a weapon this year.

James Worpel - Played the first half behind the ball, would start as an outside mid then when the ball went forward he would hang back with Hardwick. So he didn't see much ball until the second half where he was prolific. He is the Jaeger to Cousins' Titch, Cuz did the clearances and the little hand balls and Worpel got to the the flashy stuff, selling candy, kicking snags from 50m and fending off a few tackles.

Harry Morrison - Looks super comfortable on the wing opposite Smith. We all know how clean his disposal and how good his vision is, but the best parts of his game are utilized to their maximum potential when hes on the wing. Also no longer and undersized player.

Harrison Jones - Looks like he hasn't left the gym since he went down last year with the shoulder injury. A new man, honestly did not recognize him. He played in his first year and in his U18 years as a half back flanker so in his new position as an inside mid he is doing well but still got some ways to go with turning himself into a true midfielder. Also prone to a brain fade, he had a little one this game and I remember at the intra club he got a spray from Hendo for something.

Jon Ceglar - Cegs seems to have worked on his KPP game a lot. His tap work has always been more than serviceable but what shone at Ikon Park was his 1 on 1 marking and leading when he was playing forward. Seems to be trying to be a much more rounded player.

Ned Reeves - Holy crap how tall is this guy, toweled up Casboult in the ruck until Levi realized Ned weighs nothing and was able to body him out of every contest. Moves well for a big guy and can bend over and pick up the ball which is great for a ruck.

Jarman Impey - He didn't set the game on fire or change the world like his preseason might have had some people suggesting but he was making a lot more of an impact on half back compared to last year. Looking a bit like Adam Saad, crazy pace and pressure, and good disposal getting the ball forward.

Connor Glass - Moving through midfield more, good option too seeing as though he has very little defensive craft/instincts. He was a very serviceable and at time electric outside mid.

Kaiden Brand - Looking more like Chip Frawley with the kicking skills of Hardwick. Bullish on Brand this year. A keeper for sure

Rough looked great staying forward, back to a more traditional key forward role this year. Bruest and Hendo were great contributors but playing pretty relaxed football. McEvoy dominated and barely broke a sweat, similar story for Shiels and Isaac Smith. Stratton and Hardwick were solid but you have to give credit to Charlie Curnow who beat both of them 1 on 1 on a couple of occasions. Sicily wasn't going all out but did a reasonable number on the Blues' forward line, took a few intercept marks and looked like he was having fun with the new kick in rules.

Frawley, Mirra, Shoenmakers, Puopolo, Tim O'Brien and Teia Miles (I think?) were doing their usual thing, looked like how you would imagine they would play in a practice match including the lazy 2 goals for Poppy.

Absentee's: Burgoyne (AFLX), Gunston (Managed), Birchall (Hamstring), Wingard (Calf) and Scully (Ankle).

I didn't notice any first years (Greaves, Walker, Golds, Kositchke) so I assume they were all deemed too half-baked for a scratch match. Which is a good thing, we don't need any players to make an immediate impact, means the list is healthy.

Did not notice Pittonet (Reeves was wearing his number), Ross, Jiath, Hanrahan, Mohr or Scrimshaw. So I hope they weren't playing and not just having zero impact.

Also

Where was Howe??? I haven't heard anything about him in yonks.

Hope someone enjoys this very lengthy post

I was at the scratch match against Carlton and I must say, there is a lot to pick apart. The new rules are very interesting, and our young guys put on a clinic.
I have given all my mates a detailed breakdown of everything I observed at Ikon Park so I thought I would share it here.

First of all, centre clearances will mean a lot more with the new rules. Even with their dreadful ball moving skills, even Carlton had a lot less turn overs. Play still gets congested but it takes a while for half backs and forwards to join the fray, so good midfielders who get clearances get the ball forward a lot easier. I did not notice the kick out rule much so I wont comment.

JOM - Cripps and Fisher were not playing so Carlton's centre bounce were quite undermanned. But I don't think it would have made much difference. Suddenly Jaeger is the focal point of our team. He somehow looks even stronger and faster then last year, players who tackle him cant seem to get him off his feet. His disposal is also noticeably cleaner, must be confidence. Saw him pull off a few Sam Mitchell handballs where he finds a team mate with pass like a gunshot, woven between 2-3 Blues.

James Cousins - I'll get the bad news out first which is Clarko tried to swing him forward a few times, he is a great mark but has little forward craft and I feel he is wasting his time in the forward 50. But in the centre, my word this guy dragged to ball out from under the noses of Ed Curnow and Marc Murphy so consistently. In the second half, Jaeger and Shiels were rested and the inside mids were Cousins, Worpel and Jones and they still dominated every bounce. Huge upside, very very very solid extractor and has a little bit more flair then last year. Willing to back himself in and take on a tackle or two.

Dylan Moore - Moore had a great game, he definitely lived up to the hype he created in the Box Hill Hawks 2018 Finals Series. He zips around applying pressure and tackling when we don't have the ball, and when we do have the ball he is always in a good position in front of goals. Did well even with the attention of Nic Newman and Jarrod Garlett. Good footy brain like Morrison and pulled off a crazy dribble kick goal from the boundary.

Connor Nash - This guy. Kicked 2 goals purely off out-maneuvering Liam Jones and Jacob Weitering. He must've grown since we picked him up too because I had no clue he was 197cm and boy he can still put on the skates. Needs to work on over head marking but he hits packs hard, leads well and has pace to burn off any opposition key defender. Should be a weapon this year.

James Worpel - Played the first half behind the ball, would start as an outside mid then when the ball went forward he would hang back with Hardwick. So he didn't see much ball until the second half where he was prolific. He is the Jaeger to Cousins' Titch, Cuz did the clearances and the little hand balls and Worpel got to the the flashy stuff, selling candy, kicking snags from 50m and fending off a few tackles.

Harry Morrison - Looks super comfortable on the wing opposite Smith. We all know how clean his disposal and how good his vision is, but the best parts of his game are utilized to their maximum potential when hes on the wing. Also no longer and undersized player.

Harrison Jones - Looks like he hasn't left the gym since he went down last year with the shoulder injury. A new man, honestly did not recognize him. He played in his first year and in his U18 years as a half back flanker so in his new position as an inside mid he is doing well but still got some ways to go with turning himself into a true midfielder. Also prone to a brain fade, he had a little one this game and I remember at the intra club he got a spray from Hendo for something.

Jon Ceglar - Cegs seems to have worked on his KPP game a lot. His tap work has always been more than serviceable but what shone at Ikon Park was his 1 on 1 marking and leading when he was playing forward. Seems to be trying to be a much more rounded player.

Ned Reeves - Holy crap how tall is this guy, toweled up Casboult in the ruck until Levi realized Ned weighs nothing and was able to body him out of every contest. Moves well for a big guy and can bend over and pick up the ball which is great for a ruck.

Jarman Impey - He didn't set the game on fire or change the world like his preseason might have had some people suggesting but he was making a lot more of an impact on half back compared to last year. Looking a bit like Adam Saad, crazy pace and pressure, and good disposal getting the ball forward.

Connor Glass - Moving through midfield more, good option too seeing as though he has very little defensive craft/instincts. He was a very serviceable and at time electric outside mid.

Kaiden Brand - Looking more like Chip Frawley with the kicking skills of Hardwick. Bullish on Brand this year. A keeper for sure

Rough looked great staying forward, back to a more traditional key forward role this year. Bruest and Hendo were great contributors but playing pretty relaxed football. McEvoy dominated and barely broke a sweat, similar story for Shiels and Isaac Smith. Stratton and Hardwick were solid but you have to give credit to Charlie Curnow who beat both of them 1 on 1 on a couple of occasions. Sicily wasn't going all out but did a reasonable number on the Blues' forward line, took a few intercept marks and looked like he was having fun with the new kick in rules.

Frawley, Mirra, Shoenmakers, Puopolo, Tim O'Brien and Teia Miles (I think?) were doing their usual thing, looked like how you would imagine they would play in a practice match including the lazy 2 goals for Poppy.

Absentee's: Burgoyne (AFLX), Gunston (Managed), Birchall (Hamstring), Wingard (Calf) and Scully (Ankle).

I didn't notice any first years (Greaves, Walker, Golds, Kositchke) so I assume they were all deemed too half-baked for a scratch match. Which is a good thing, we don't need any players to make an immediate impact, means the list is healthy.

Did not notice Pittonet (Reeves was wearing his number), Ross, Jiath, Hanrahan, Mohr or Scrimshaw. So I hope they weren't playing and not just having zero impact.

Also

I enjoyed it. Great Post. :thumbsu:

Also

Nice to hear that Brand is coming along. I think he could be in for a big year if he is given a decent stretch of consecutive games to establish himself at full back.

Also

Great post. Thankyou. Very insightful. All sounds pretty positive (that's what preseason is for) except for:

Would have hoped these guys (with the exception of Puopolo) were going 110% to try and break the 1st XXII. Seems to not be the case.

Also

Awesome work. Thanks.

Also

Great post for us all who missed the game cheers

Also

Awesome write up - thanks.

I've always liked Brand. Reckon there's a lot to work with there.

Also

Great Job Matey!! Well done :)

I get into details and you said that warpel, cousins and jones were the starting midfielders in the second half, so who other than JOM and Shiels was in the starting midfield in the first half?

Cheers

The comments from Luceor and the other track watchers support my gut feeling that Moore and Brand are really going to emerge from the pack this year. They were both impressive in the VFL final series last year and have continued that form and confidence.

I think Brand has been unfairly maligned. He’s a big fella who, like most of them, take time to develop. What I really like about him is his genuine closing speed to a contest - he’s definitely no slouch.

And Dylan Moore could be a star. His emergence from VFL ranks in terms of career path could potentially be faster than Bruest’s. I appreciate that’s a big statement comparing a rookie with an All Australian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOM - Cripps and Fisher were not playing so Carlton's centre bounce were quite undermanned. But I don't think it would have made much difference. Suddenly Jaeger is the focal point of our team. He somehow looks even stronger and faster then last year, players who tackle him cant seem to get him off his feet. His disposal is also noticeably cleaner, must be confidence. Saw him pull off a few Sam Mitchell handba his disposal and how good his vision is, but the best parts of

Thanks for that, really appreciate it While I'm at it thanks to all the match report posters, fantastic stuff!

The comments from Luceor and the other track watchers support my gut feeling that Moore and Brand are really going to emerge from the pack this year. They were both impressive in the VFL final series last year and have continued that form and confidence.

I think Brand has been unfairly maligned. He’s a big fella who, like most of them, take time to develop. What I really like about him is his genuine closing speed to a contest - he’s definitely no slouch.

And Dylan Moore could be a star. His emergence from VFL ranks in terms of career path could potentially be faster than Bruest’s. I appreciate that’s a big statement comparing a rookie with an All Australian.
People forget Brand lost his first season and a half of development with multiple shoulder injures. At the end of the day as bad as we need someone like a Mitch Lewis to eventually develop as a key forward we also need Brand to come along as a backman.

Last edited:
Great Job Matey!! Well done :)

I get into details and you said that warpel, cousins and jones were the starting midfielders in the second half, so who other than JOM and Shiels was in the starting midfield in the first half?

Cheers

In the first half it was mostly JOM and Shiels with Cousins, and I think I saw Jones in there once or twice. Worpel could've been in a couple where I did not notice him due to Jaeger clearing the ball too fast. But from what I saw Worpel in the first half was coming off the bench and playing behind the ball.

Rarely am I ever negative about a player, but I really don't rate Brand as a key player moving forward, and neither it seems, do the Hawks. If we did, we wouldn't have picked up Mohr.

Brand's problem isn't development, it's something I don't believe he'll ever lose - he simply panics when he's caught one-out with his opponent. He goes the body and invariably gives away frees.

With the way 2019 structures will change, he'll be caught one-out even more than he used to which worries me. Speed is not an issue, he's a solid kick and a relatively good mark, but you can't have panic players in defense.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but we've seen enough of him over 2016-2018 to believe that part of his game won't change.

Rarely am I ever negative about a player, but I really don't rate Brand as a key player moving forward, and neither it seems, do the Hawks. If we did, we wouldn't have picked up Mohr.

Brand's problem isn't development, it's something I don't believe he'll ever lose - he simply panics when he's caught one-out with his opponent. He goes the body and invariably gives away frees.

With the way 2019 structures will change, he'll be caught one-out even more than he used to which worries me. Speed is not an issue, he's a solid kick and a relatively good mark, but you can't have panic players in defense.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but we've seen enough of him over 2016-2018 to believe that part of his game won't change.
Brand had a problem with our structures and team defence. He really struggled to transition from one forward to the next. Because of this he rarely provided any run. I have watched him this year and he does look a lot more comfortable a lot more confident. He will be important this year

Brand had a problem with our structures and team defence. He really struggled to transition from one forward to the next. Because of this he rarely provided any run. I have watched him this year and he does look a lot more comfortable a lot more confident. He will be important this year

Thanks for the positive reply, felt like I went full Tige on that one so it's good to have the balancer.

Thanks for the positive reply, felt like I went full Tige on that one so it's good to have the balancer.
Come on rogie you love be the tige deep down and you know he is often right. If I remember correctly he isn't that enamored with Brand either. Personally I feel we are going to come and appreciate Brand and I feel that Mohr was recruited to cover Frawley and his migraines.

Last edited:
Our structures and team defense were at times a real concern against Carlton. The transition from one forward to the next left Impey, Hardwick and Sicily one out on KPPs Curnow and McKay and they were no match in the marking contests. A greater concern was on a number of occasions we were faced with two on one match ups inside 30 metres from the Carlton goal.

At the first bounce McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels and Worpel were in the centre square. The rotations then dictated the centre square players. The 6/6/6 rule has resulted in more players running to the interchange when there is a set shot on goal rather than waiting for the player to kick. In our intra club practice match players sometimes had to sprint to get inside the 50 metre circle for the 6/6/6 at the centre bounce.

Come on rogie you love be the tige deep down and you know he is often right. If I remember correctly he isn't that enamored with Brand either. Personally I feel we are going come to appreciate Brand and I feel that Mohr was recruited to cover Frawley and his migraines.

Nah Tige calls for Brand in, I believe his issues are mainly with Chip.

Our structures and team defense were at times a real concern against Carlton. The transition from one forward to the next left Impey, Hardwick and Sicily one out on KPPs Curnow and McKay and they were no match in the marking contests. A greater concern was on a number of occasions we were faced with two on one match ups inside 30 metres from the Carlton goal.

At the first bounce McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels and Worpel were in the centre square. The rotations then dictated the centre square players. The 6/6/6 rule has resulted in more players running to the interchange when there is a set shot on goal rather than waiting for the player to kick. In our intra club practice match players sometimes had to sprint to get inside the 50 metre circle for the 6/6/6 at the centre bounce.
I think it's going to have an impact early in the year, as players build fitness and teams adapt though I expect much like everything else the AFL tries it will not make much difference by seasons end

But they will call it a success when half the teams score 100 points in Round 1 like they always do, and a failure in July when most teams don't, like they always do.

Considering Brand did just get a post about being a pre-season stand out, I'll be interested to see how he goes in the JLT.

Boyd made comment he has been focusing on strength and size in the off season which is unusual as far as the typical Hawks strategy goes. We'll just have to wait and see how he applies it.

Brand has also struggled with decision making with ball in hand.

He coped an expletive laden spray during the intra club from smith and cegs when he clearly went against teams rules and sent the ball back across from where it came.

He's still a big ? If he comes good it would be a huge bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back