Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Individuals manage themselves
Supervisors manage others
Managers manage processes
Top leaders manage outcomes

How can a leader manage great outcomes when they mix up passion with empowerment?

One of the most important roles of a great leader is to develop the next generation leaders. Hello Toddy!

We cave been a successful club but with all 3 teams languishing at the bottom for 2 to 3 years, the board and the CEO need to take a good hard look at themselves. They have become ineffective because they are stale or the requirements of the job have become too onerous.

Couldn’t agree more, but I can see how it’s happened.

Prior was a dickhead as a player and appears to still be a dickhead off-field.

Strange call. Can’t remember him being involved in any on ground incidents in a career ruined by knee injuries… still one of the more talent juniors drafted out of wa.. coached east Perth colts to a flag which is an achievement most can’t manage and the players loved him..

Must have been the bad habits he got at freo that’s got him in the mess he is in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Strange call. Can’t remember him being involved in any on ground incidents in a career ruined by knee injuries… still one of the more talent juniors drafted out of wa.. coached east Perth colts to a flag which is an achievement most can’t manage and the players loved him..

Must have been the bad habits he got at freo that’s got him in the mess he is in.

My memories of him at Essendon obviously differ greatly to yours.

I note that Gossage mentioned the Eagles should be reaching out to ex Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell for the CEO role.
Might be reading to much into Goss's comments (always fraught with danger), but if Goss is mentioning it, I suspect his already been approached, and that Don Pyke is no longer an option.

CEO of bombers for 8 years (2014-2022)
Positive - His CEO of a beer company
Negative - The Beer company only make mid strength

Thoughts on Xavier?

I note that Gossage mentioned the Eagles should be reaching out to ex Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell for the CEO role.
Might be reading to much into Goss's comments (always fraught with danger), but if Goss is mentioning it, I suspect his already been approached, and that Don Pyke is no longer an option.

Thoughts on Xavier?

Yeah nahhhhhhhh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Xavier?
May as well just try and bring Vozzo back

Some potential candidates for CEO:

Peter Capes - Subi CEO
Peter Bell
Travis Auld
Graham Wright
Brendon Gale
Kylie Watson Wheeler (President of WB and VP at Disney)
Craig Vozzo
David Noble - now CEO of Shell racing. Yes not a great coach but hear he’s a great administrator.
Simon Lloyd - GM at Geelong

Any others?

Last edited:

Peter Capes - Subi CEO
Peter Bell
Travis Auld
Graham Wright
Brendon Gale
Craig Vozzo
David Noble - now CEO of Shell racing. Yes not a great coach but hear he’s a great administrator.

Any others?

Decent start, in reality the field could be 20-30 strong. But WC CEO is a unique role.

Mr Tebsin, who comes from some place far away, has emerged as a strong contender.

1n0t14c8x5j41.jpg

Peter Capes - Subi CEO
Peter Bell
Travis Auld
Graham Wright
Brendon Gale
Craig Vozzo
Simon Lloyd - GM at Geelong

Any others?

Simon Lloyd was raised a while ago in a previous thread and he’d be a very good candidate

Charlie Gardiner at Sydney would also be worth talking to

Both Executive/General Football Managers at their respective clubs who happen to be the two best run clubs in the league

A left field suggestion would be Christina Matthews at the WACA
• WA cricket is in pretty rude health under her leadership
• Has shown she isn’t afraid to step on toes in her dealings with the old guard of WA cricket
• Is well accustomed to dealing with an East Coast-centric administration who have little or no regard for WA
• Successfully managed WA cricket through the covid crisis despite significant challenges. The same can’t be said for West Coast’s leadership over the same period
• Would have strong connections through the WA business community and government

The downside is she’s 64 which is only a couple of years younger than Nisbett so she might not be willing to take on a a new role or be in it for the long term if she does

That said, like a chlorine bomb in a dirty pool, a short 3 year shock treatment to get things back on track could be the jolt the club needs

Simon Lloyd was raised a while ago in a previous thread and he’d be a very good candidate

Charlie Gardiner at Sydney would also be worth talking to

Both Executive/General Football Managers at their respective clubs who happen to be the two best run clubs in the league

A left field suggestion would be Christina Matthews at the WACA
• WA cricket is in pretty rude health under her leadership
• Has shown she isn’t afraid to step on toes in her dealings with the old guard of WA cricket
• Is well accustomed to dealing with an East Coast-centric administration who have little or no regard for WA
• Successfully managed WA cricket through the covid crisis despite significant challenges. The same can’t be said for West Coast’s leadership over the same period
• Would have strong connections through the WA business community and government

The downside is she’s 64 which is only a couple of years younger than Nisbett so she might not be willing to take on a a new role or be in it for the long term if she does

That said, like a chlorine bomb in a dirty pool, a short 3 year shock treatment to get things back on track could be the jolt the club needs

Love this idea. I get the sense there are a lot of staff members at the club that have grown very comfortable in their role over a number of years.

Love this idea. I get the sense there are a lot of staff members at the club that have grown very comfortable in their role over a number of years.

Absolutely spot on. I mean it's pretty obvious just from the outside but have also had it that said to me from just under the handful of people ive known that have worked in and around the club, most no longer there.

"Too many people been there for too long" (or very similar versions)

I don't mind the Pyke prospect, but in my mind the ideal candidate is pretty obvious. No prior club allegiance, not afraid to step on anyone's toes, intimately knows the ins-and-outs of list management and rebuilding via the draft, gets people onside and forms great relationships, knows the value of consistency in messaging, and is a wonderful teacher and communicator.

Come on down, briztoon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back