Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

This quote from Trev in the club statement feels me with dread that he will be lingering around the halls for the foreseeable future:
the-office-steve-carell.gif

Since Nesbitt is contracted til next season, is he hanging around in another capacity, or are they just paying him out?

Will be using up his lengthy leave entitlements.

I suddenly feel far more relaxed about the future of our club. Absolutely fantastic appointment.

He seemed really pleased to be taking this on as a progression away from coaching where is seemed a bit stale. I feel like his batteries are fully charged and he has so much energy for this. That is contagious and he will energise HQ.

Don is one man who history suggests has the drive and inner authority to look for and make actual functional change. Deck chairs won't get shuffled by him, he will hose them off and order fresh ones.

Being a Claremont man as he is, we're clearly in bloody fantastic hands. Can I get an amen AsterixTheGaul?
Amen my brother. As someone who went out on a limb and advocated that King Nissie I had stayed too long, I gladly welcome Don as our new CEO.

Claremont
Bachelor Commerce
Eagles

Got to like those attributes!!

Last edited:
Thought it was bizarre that Waters entered the conversation late, always thought of him as a tough kid from a rough background who celebrates Premierships by eating goldfish. Don't get me wrong, was one of my favourite players and was pumped when he was named AA. Never in a million years thought of him as CEO material though.

Had no idea he's done so well for himself. That makes me happy.

Yeah same, thought Waters was a Dane Swan type loose unit lol

Guess he's like 40 now settled down

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dani Laidley spoke to the AFLW Team this week, and based on watching her talk, you can read into the below that she too wants to be a part of a premiership team, and one with the club she started her career with.

Dani Laidley

"I was unfortunately.......I didn't make the first premiership, which still cuts me to today, but you are pioneers.
Those people who won that first grand final......after a journey became immortals of this football club and you have a chance to do that"

"You have the opportunity to be immortals, I just want to reinforce it one more time, you have the opportunity to do that"

Dani Laidley spoke to the AFLW Team this week, and based on watching her talk, you can read into the below that she too wants to be a part of a premiership team, and one with the club she started her career with.

Dani Laidley

"I was unfortunately.......I didn't make the first premiership, which still cuts me to today, but you are pioneers.
Those people who won that first grand final......after a journey became immortals of this football club and you have a chance to do that"

"You have the opportunity to be immortals, I just want to reinforce it one more time, you have the opportunity to do that"
Get her in as coach of the women’s team. Reckon she’d to a great job.

Yeah same, thought Waters was a Dane Swan type loose unit lol

Guess he's like 40 now settled down

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He moved into the corporate world after retirement and completed his MBA.

He has been working for a consulting firm for a couple of years.

I heard either him speak, or someone talking about him (I really can't remember), a few years ago about leveraging the opportunities that playing for the WCE afforded him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The AFL has also revised the luxury tax rates, with clubs to not be penalised as harshly if they spend above soft cap."

I read this on AFL website. What does this mean if/when Simmo gets his marching orders after round 6.

He moved into the corporate world after retirement and completed his MBA.

He has been working for a consulting firm for a couple of years.

I heard either him speak, or someone talking about him (I really can't remember), a few years ago about leveraging the opportunities that playing for the WCE afforded him.
Beau has worked at the company I'm with for a number of years and he is highly regarded internally and externally by our clients locally and internationally. He has climbed the ladder quickly. He is an Executive in the business and undoubtedly will continue to climb the corporate ladder.
I'm lead to believe Beau wanted to be a part of the process for his own personal development. Not saying he wasn't ever being considered for the CEO role, just saying its important for people to go through these processes to learn should they want to head down that path in the future.

Something that struck me whilst watching that press conference unrelated to Pyke (who was very impressive) was how much more assured Elizabeth Gaines came across than what we’ve seen from Paul Fitzpatrick

It was an easy gig announcing a popular appointment to be fair, but she was clear and gave concise answers when required

Gave off an air of authority and confidence I haven’t seen from Fitzpatrick who comes across far more awkwardly

Was thinking the same. Ditto Gibbs before as he always sounded aloof.

Was thinking the same. Ditto Gibbs before as he always sounded aloof.

Gibbs always sounded like a supporter to me. Which on one level is fine because you want the board members to care about the club and be passionate about it

But when you’re the president I don’t think you want to be sounding like a cheerleader

Cransberg was the best president we’ve had in my memory, partly because we didn’t actually hear from him that often but when we did there was a level of gravitas to it

Elizabeth Gaines reminded me of him

Re. The Dani Laidley comments - obviously, she's more than qualified to coach our AFLW team. That said - & I know her public outing was marred by inappropriate/disgusting police conduct - but wasn't the reason for her charges stalking & possession of meth?

Not sure i'd consider meth to be a 'casual' drug. We'd want to do our due diligence that those matters are well behind her.

Re. The Dani Laidley comments - obviously, she's more than qualified to coach our AFLW team. That said - & I know her public outing was marred by inappropriate/disgusting police conduct - but wasn't the reason for her charges stalking & possession of meth?

Not sure i'd consider meth to be a 'casual' drug. We'd want to do our due diligence that those matters are well behind her.

Her partner is a long time family connection/friend and she would never be involved in that sort of thing.

The meth definitely was a thing
and so was the stalking

Good to hear - may have been some dodgy media reporting on the matter

Probably more that someone struggling shouldn't be judged for eternity for conduct at their lowest. I'd hazard a guess that Dani in 2023 is a distant reflection of the person going through those troublesome times.

Not taking a shot at you either, it's a reasonable point to consider. The club will rightfully scratch around and get a good idea of what support network anyone has in place before being put into a high pressure role, but if Dani passes that test I wouldn't be any more concerned about her getting involved with meth or stalking than the next person with no history of either thing.

Probably more that someone struggling shouldn't be judged for eternity for conduct at their lowest. I'd hazard a guess that Dani in 2023 is a distant reflection of the person going through those troublesome times.

Not taking a shot at you either, it's a reasonable point to consider. The club will rightfully scratch around and get a good idea of what support network anyone has in place before being put into a high pressure role, but if Dani passes that test I wouldn't be any more concerned about her getting involved with meth or stalking than the next person with no history of either thing.
Dani Laidley is working through a lot of issues and is the last person anyone would employ to be a coach, possibly even employ full stop. Meth, stalking and working through a massive identity crisis is a lot of baggage.

Might as well get Ben Cousins to interview as well if we were going to open that can of worms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back