Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

People seem reasonably happy with the recruiting of late, so I assume we’d be happy for Massey to stay in his role?

Not sure if there’s an obvious candidate for list manager. Maybe Glassy can be enticed back from Garden Hoses R Us or wherever it was he went to?

Now Hurn is no longer there maybe he can come back without it being awkward?

Wtf. Rob should see out his creation. He shouldn't leave us without seeing his destruction or success.

So if he destroyed the club we can't grab pitch forks

If he's turned is to greatness we can praise him

Pretty unfair move leaving us midstream

Wtf. Rob should see out his creation. He shouldn't leave us without seeing his destruction or success.

Well he has been there for 33 years - I think he's earned the freedom to make his own call on his time. Better than overstaying his welcome and getting the boot.

Well done ROB

Stocksy next

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

There are few surer things in football than change - and the 2023 off season has provided the West Coast Eagles with enough change to fill the 4 Premiership Cups achieved by the club in 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018.

Such is the impact of these changes, one can expect a number of things to change in the upcoming season.

Harley Reid, the boy from Tongala with a twinkle in his eye and a star on his shoulders, brings to the club a shining new beacon of hope for future success both on and off the field.

/Stocksy

You realise we are not talking about “diversity hires” right? Not suggesting we should be recruiting more players who have different skin colour, which is what you have assumed.

I’m saying you want a range of perspectives within the group who are making recruitment decisions.

And no this not woke. Not all biases are sociocultural

The Walking Dead Sasha GIF by The Paley Center for Media
GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

There are few surer things in football than change - and the 2023 off season has provided the West Coast Eagles with enough change to fill the 4 Premiership Cups achieved by the club in 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018.

Such is the impact of these changes, one can expect a number of things to change in the upcoming season.

Harley Reid, the boy from Tongala with a twinkle in his eye and a star on his shoulders, brings to the club a shining new beacon of hope for future success both on and off the field.

/Stocksy
This post is under notice

Anyone open this? The title triggers me.

For 12 months all I've heard from the media is we need to clean house. Now we are cleaning house and it's too much!!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

West Coast are trash, changes need to be made

Nek minnut

West Coast’s strength has been stability why are they making so many changes

From one extreme to the other.
West Coast, a club accused of allowing stability to become stagnation, is facing an uncharacteristically sharp personnel pivot that begs the question: How much significant change can a club absorb in such a short time frame?

Incoming chief executive Don Pyke’s first key appointment when he takes the reins at West Coast next month is set to be that of a new list manager after the decision by long-time servant Rohan O’Brien to step down on Tuesday.

The Eagles end-of-year party is now going to be quite a significant send-off for long time CEO Trevor Nisbett, at the club since 1989, O’Brien, whose tenure spans 33 years, and club stalwart and favourite Ian Miller, who has been at the club in either part time or full time roles for most of its existence.

Those changes come on top of the departures of playing stars. That list is topped by 2023 captain and 2018 Norm Smith Medallist Luke Shuey, his predecessor and 2018 premiership skipper Shannon Hurn and generational ruck star Nic Naitanui, the club’s best and fairest winner in the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Long-time strength and conditioning coach Warren Kofoed also leaves at the end of the year, with the club already having brought in former Collingwood strength and conditioning coach Paul Turk and former Western Bulldogs High performance coach Matt Inness in a major overhaul of their approach to preparing players.

O’Brien was the third list manager the club had since 2019.

Brady Rawlings left the role to head back to his former club North Melbourne. Then Darren Glass left mid pandemic a year later to pursue business interests outside of football.

O’Brien, who had overseen the list management strategies heading into the critical recent trade and draft periods, told close associates late last week he was leaving.

West Coast confirmed his decision on Monday.

While Pyke has already been at the club observing training, it is understood O’Brien’s decision to leave was his own.

Pyke told CODE Sports he would not be taking control of the club’s operations until he begins in mid-January and O’Brien had taken the decision to leave.

“He has done a sterling job here for 30-odd years,” he said. “The one constant in life is change.”

He said the Eagles had to plot a course for “how we get from where we are now to back to where we want to be.”

Nisbett, who will leave to make way for Pyke, is expected to remain at the club until at least late January as part of the transition to Pyke’s leadership. He was a long-standing supporter of O’Brien’s and had backed him to hold the list manager’s position for as long as he wanted it less than 12 months ago when the veteran recruiter first hinted he might step away.

Nisbett paid tribute to an ally he described as having an “outstanding eye for talent”.

“The task of a recruiter is often thankless and challenging but he has excelled in the field and done everything in his power to ensure we achieved the best possible outcomes in recruiting and attracting players to our club,” he said.

O’Brien said the time was right in the wake of what might be one of the most significant drafts in the club’s history, when he resisted temptation to trade away No. 1 draft pick Harley Reid for multiple picks that might have given the Eagles two or three inside of the top 30.

They finished with just Reid in the first round after a raft of academy picks were bid on and matched by Gold Coast and extensive assistance and free agency picks dealt to North Melbourne resulted in the Kangaroos taking five picks before the Eagles took their second selection.

Sources close to O’Brien said that with Reid touted as a generational talent he had been strongly opposed to trading pick one unless a rival club offered something simply too good to refuse.

Only time, Reid’s performance and development over the next five years and the comparative development of others from the draft pool will determine whether it was the right call or not.

“With the recent draft completed I believe it is the right time to make this call,” O’Brien told the club website. “For the past three years we have focussed on attracting the best young talent as we begin to build our list and I believe we are at an exciting juncture.

“We are in the process of a significant transition as we now have one of the youngest lists in the competition and I look forward to seeing the club rise.”

The Eagles have some time to find a new list manager. Their list is currently full, meaning their next possible selection is likely to be at the mid-season rookie draft - and then only if a player suffers a significant injury that frees up a spot.

The significant changes in fitness and conditioning, on the other hand, will have the club nervous.

Despite the club’s horrendous run of injury in the past two seasons, long-standing staff like Kofoed tend to develop a bank of understanding on how individuals should and shouldn’t be prepared. Significant staff changeovers can work or can come with some short-term pain

The other significant news to come out of the Eagles on Tuesday - that veteran midfielder Dom Sheed is in a moon boot after a stress reaction in his foot suffered early this pre-season - will not make the hierarchy any less nervous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he has been there for 33 years - I think he's earned the freedom to make his own call on his time. Better than overstaying his welcome and getting the boot.

Well done ROB
Plus taking the highest rated junior in a decade or so when the Victorian media were pushing us to trade pick 1 is a mic drop move to end your career on

So if he is indeed bad at his job he should stick around a few years just so we can eventually vent about it on a silly forum?

Did well taking the best player with the first pick...
Not sure I think the rest of the draft was that great given the info after about the offers that were made for pick 30.
That last few years have been great but he was asleep at the wheel for a few years before that. Sure Allen fell into his lap fortuitously but the brander pick was horrid

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did well taking the best player with the first pick...
Not sure I think the rest of the draft was that great given the info after about the offers that were made for pick 30.
That last few years have been great but he was asleep at the wheel for a few years before that. Sure Allen fell into his lap fortuitously but the brander pick was horrid

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I had a quick look and the players taken in the 1st round after brander were also pretty shit. The only alternative scenario where we do better than Brander, would have been Allen at 13 and Kelly at our second. I'm not sure any club was doing that as it was seen as reaching for Allen around 13.

I had a quick look and the players taken in the 1st round after brander were also pretty s**t. The only alternative scenario where we do better than Brander, would have been Allen at 13 and Kelly at our second. I'm not sure any club was doing that as it was seen as reaching for Allen around 13.
Yeah, we've just been fortunate Allen continued to grow to a proper KPP height.

I had a quick look and the players taken in the 1st round after brander were also pretty s**t. The only alternative scenario where we do better than Brander, would have been Allen at 13 and Kelly at our second. I'm not sure any club was doing that as it was seen as reaching for Allen around 13.

As I understood it, the plan was to take Allen at 13 which would have been fine as he’s shown that wouldn’t have been a reach despite the view at the time. That plan was tossed aside when Brander unexpectedly got through to our pick as the recruiters had him ranked higher

The expectation was Allen would be gone by our next pick but they took the higher rated player on their board

When Allen was still there they again went on best player available and took him

Then Geelong ****ed it all up

Allen, Kelly, Ryan would have been ideal but it wasn’t to be

Made a blue with Brander but that happens to every club. Unfortunately for us the knock on was we missed Kelly which created a ripple effect that to an extent we’re still dealing with

West Coast are trash, changes need to be made

Nek minnut

West Coast’s strength has been stability why are they making so many changes
So many changes and innovations happening within the club makes for exciting anticipation. 😁Why not completely go against all the expectations and win the 2024 cup.
It is, after all, in our "evens" preference.
92-94-06-18-24. The numbers look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back