Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

When I heard her speak on the odd occasion she was like a breath of fresh air in comparison to Fitzpatrick. In any event I thought you could only be chair for a max of 4 years or something like that I think, then a new chair has to be elected.

To be fair, listening to a constipated cat would be a breath of fresh air compared to Fitzpatrick

But yeah, no issue with this appointment but also not really any idea on it tbh

Fitzpatrick leaving and Gaines taking his place creates a vacancy for a director.
I hope Worsfold gets the job instead of some mate of the existing Directors, or a Perthonality which has happened in the past.

Article in The West this morning saying “Woosha & Priddis” maybe invited to fill board vacancy/ies.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wyatt's a lawyer and former State Treasurer and Langer's an experienced coach who experienced a lot of success. They sound like the sort of people that should be on the board?
Until recently there was only one football person on the board. Directors are appointed for their strengths, Langer is supposed to be a motivational speaker. Our team certainly needed motivating.
There's more than enough financial people on the board, the out going chairman was a lawyer too.
I suppose you would like to have "B Grade Basil" on the board.
As the directors aren't member elected then the board should have at least 50% of its members to have a football
background.

The entire board should be exclusively members of the 1992 premiership side. Woosha, McKenna, Jakovich, Heady, Turls, Karl Langdon and Paul Harding. With David Hynes as an emergency.

The entire board should be exclusively members of the 1992 premiership side. Woosha, McKenna, Jakovich, Heady, Turls, Karl Langdon and Paul Harding. With David Hynes as an emergency.
Introducing the new WCE board

7.jpeg

if bro used to work for her, i think his opinion is valid
He said "was my ceo", which would mean at fortescue presumably - a company with what, ten thousand workers? Possible he is in corp affairs or something and actually worked with her directly but regardless, from his description it certainly sounds like she did CEO things which she would expect her to do because that was her job. She is a very well regarded professional who has done incredibly well in a tough industry for women. I do know people who have worked very closely with her and they rate her highly. For mine it's a great appointment.

Not many clubs have former footy people as chairs - it just isn't the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entire board should be exclusively Perth Bears...

I think Glass and Hurn need a bit more time out of the game before joining the board.

100 would not want a member's elected board...looking at the shitshow that has been Essendon for so long.
Could live with maybe one person chosen by members, with the caveat that they have to go through all Bigfooty, Facebook etc stuff, with a Maxwell Smart cone of silence hanging above them in a board meeting, if required.
Call it the kamikaze role, or gimp position, if you like.
CEO not being on the board was a positive move, I think.

Whole article is mainly about changes to the Board but at the end mentions Luke Webster and Drew Petrie as possible departures.

Not fussed re Webster as it is arguably time for him to move on if we’re serious about refreshing the coaching ranks.

But I really hope Petrie stays. Has taken over player welfare from Ian Miller and looked to be doing a great job, the sort of person who behind the scenes makes a football club great

Full article

West Coast will not only start the 2025 season with a new coach, but also with a female chairperson in place for the first time in club history.
Perth business leader Elizabeth Gaines was unanimously endorsed as Paul Fitzpatrick’s successor on Tuesday afternoon.

The battle to follow Fitzpatrick in the chair had been thought to be a race in two between Gaines and former state treasurer Ben Wyatt.

Gaines was chosen to lead the club through the next phase of a rebuild that has proven challenging since the end of the 2021 season.

New West Coast chairperson Elizabeth Gaines. Picture: Jane Dempster

New West Coast chairperson Elizabeth Gaines. Picture: Jane Dempster
The Eagles have won just 10 games in the three seasons since, seen off coach Adam Simpson more than a season ahead of schedule and parted ways with longstanding CEO Trevor Nisbett a year out from the end of his contract.

First year CEO Don Pyke is currently spearheading the search for a new coach which the club now expects to be finalised within the next two weeks.

Collingwood’s Hayden Skipworth, Melbourne’s Andrew McQualter and Geelong’s Steven King are thought to be the leading candidates in the coach selection process.

How quickly a final decision is reached will be heavily dependent on whether the Cats, scheduled to play Brisbane in a preliminary final this weekend, go on to make the grand final.

Gaines is a former CEO and COO of the powerful Fortescue Metals Mining Group. She joined the Eagles board in 2022 and has served as Fitzpatrick’s deputy over the past two years. Fitzpatrick will relinquish the chair at the start of next year.

John Worsfold and Matt Priddis are being eyed for board positions. Picture: Stewart Allen

John Worsfold and Matt Priddis are being eyed for board positions. Picture: Stewart Allen
“Elizabeth was elected unopposed and we look forward to her continuing to build on the foundations that have been laid,” Fitzpatrick said in a club statement.

“To have someone of Elizabeth’s calibre stepping into the position of Chair is another exciting step in the evolution of our club.

“Elizabeth has wide ranging respect, not just within the mining industry, but across the business community more broadly. A passionate supporter of our club before joining the Board, she has developed an even stronger connection through her involvement on the Board.”

Ms Gaines said she was looking forward to assisting the club’s push to improve across all aspects of its operations.

“We are acutely aware that we have not performed on the field as we would have liked in the last three years and we are committed to improving in all areas,” she said.

Rowan Jones, a 2006 premiership player and the role player famous for blocking to unleash superstar Chris Judd around stoppages, has been elected as the new deputy chair.

Rowan Jones will serve as deputy chair on the new board.

Rowan Jones will serve as deputy chair on the new board.

More Coverage​

Left-field candidate emerges in race for top Eagles job
Meanwhile there is likely to be a push to get more football IQ onto the club board with Jones’ premiership coach John Worsfold and 2014 Brownlow Medallist Matt Priddis among those likely to be asked.

The Eagles football department faces overhaul regardless of who wins the coaching post. Matthew Knights has already left, Luke Webster and Drew Petrie are other potential departures.

Jarrad Schofield, the interim coach after Adam Simpson’s departure and a candidate for the senior coaching position, may also choose to leave despite having a year to run on a coaching contract at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back