Biggest roar you've ever heard

Remove this Banner Ad

Was lucky enough to go to Old Trafford last year and United won with a goal scored in the 85th minute.
When that goal went in 75000 people exploded at once and nothing I've experienced has come close, including GF and multiple finals

Probably been mentioned before, but this is by far the biggest roar I have ever heard live, I was no more than 20 or 30 metres from the end the shootout was at. Everyone just completely lost their shit for at least 15 or 20 minutes, hugging randoms etc.

Also, this came to my mind from 360 last night, but Nick Davis' goal against Geelong in the prelim was a huge roar for a game of footy. Although, soccer roars are generally much lounder.

Nic Nats 2nd game of AFL against the Hawks. Windy, drizzly night but when Nic kicked those 3 goals in the last qrt it was amazing to see the crowd go absolutely bananas over this guy.

1983 semi v Fitzroy, brilliant atmosphere. We owed the roys big time, supporters were baying for blood. 1984 G.F, last quarter , Terry Wallace has been quoted as " I have never heard a crowd before or since make a noise like that" And yes Mercuri in `93 was ear splitting. For non-Essendon, I was there when Mick McGuane had his seven bounces, you could not hear yourself think.

Been a few over the years but I was at the G also as a kid one evening when Dennis Lillee ripped through the west indies top order and when he knocked Vivs pegs over that has stayed with me forever. The noise was ridiculous.

This one. Day 1 of the test and the windies rolled us for (I think) just under 200. The openers can and went and out came a night watchman who did last long. Viv Richards was looking good and got a half volley outside off stump last ball of the day, got an inside edge and crashed into off stump! Every Aussie player was off the ground in 15 seconds flat. The look on Lillie's was amazing. The crowds were blind and were going nuts. Bill lawry went crazy. The noise was deafening.

ffs swimming

How does that not entertain you?

For me it was the OPs example, 35,000 made a lot of noise that day. Also Buddy's second goal against Essendon in 2010 was a pretty big noise, and it got even louder when the replay was shown.

This one. Day 1 of the test and the windies rolled us for (I think) just under 200. The openers can and went and out came a night watchman who did last long. Viv Richards was looking good and got a half volley outside off stump last ball of the day, got an inside edge and crashed into off stump! Every Aussie player was off the ground in 15 seconds flat. The look on Lillie's was amazing. The crowds were blind and were going nuts. Bill lawry went crazy. The noise was deafening.

Only two words can describe it - Un Believable.

Biggest AFL roar. 2006 when we beat Carlton after being 44 points down in the 3rd quarter. Embley kicked a goal to give the Eagles the lead with about 2 minutes left.

Loudest ever crowd unfortunately is a Perth Glory game. 18000 people at a game somewhere around 1999. Squashed in the shed like sardines. 2 nil down at half time. We scored 3 goals with the winner coming in extra time. The noise was that deafening i didnt enjoy it, and I was actually scared i might have damaged my ears. Just sounded like extremely loud crackling, and i was about to make my way out of the stadium cos i thought i had burst my ear drums. About 20 seconds later the crowd noise died down to a dull thunder. Seriously scary experience that goes beyond fun and had me concerned for my health.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at Twickenham for the 1999 Rugby World Cup semi final between Australia and South Africa which went to extra time. The roar from the crowd when South Africa kicked a penalty to tie the scores right on full time was incredible and the roar when Larkham kicked a long drop goal from nowhere in extra time to win the game was even louder. Amazing game to experience live.

We've had so many memorable roars usually for the right reasons...but one I'll never forget is the 'BALLLLLLL' 'YEAHHHHH' that followed Dean Wallis getting run down by Fraser Brown in the 99 Prelim. Every single person in the ground knew that was game over and a huge upset was about to happen...

Daicos from the boundary does a reverse banana 1990 Qualifying final at Waverley....Brown, Millane, DAICOS!!!

Off the richter scale that was.

Warning the below youtube is the last qtr of that drawn final. 20 minutes. Worth watching though, was a beauty, and an angry Mick Malthouse interview at the end.

In my memory it was r22 2010, Tiges v Port at Etihad, 38k, roof closed, Cousins last game, 5 goals down 3/4 time, and towards the end of the last qtr Mitch Morton slotted a goal to put the Tiges within 4 points. Not only was the noise ear piercing but the massive vibrations going through your body was sensational from the foot stomping and hand bashing on the chairs. That was by far the biggest in my memory.

Nic Nats 2nd game of AFL against the Hawks. Windy, drizzly night but when Nic kicked those 3 goals in the last qrt it was amazing to see the crowd go absolutely bananas over this guy.

I was behind the goals for that, and it was hilarious, absolute pandemonium in the crowd when he intercepted it to kick his third, everyone was jumping around and hugging strangers in the middle of some of the heaviest rain and craziest wind in living memory- I remember the guy next to me jumped up and threw up his hands after that goal, and his poncho blew off over his head three rows back!

That said, just in terms of pure, ear hurting volume, the noisiest I have ever heard at subi was this -

Everyone in the stadium was yelling non stop that last quarter, and the roar when Hunter put them up at 2:00.. "Adam Hunter... Took the great mark! Kicked the great goal!"

Play starts at 3:25

That whole drive was amazing, Tebow has been awful the whole game then as that drive started the crows just got behind him and as he started moving the ball up the field the crows got louder and louder. Then when he ran it in everyone just went bonkers, I ended up hugging the guy next to me who i had just meet that day.

What about Nick Davis's kick to put the Swans into the 2005 Semi-final. With ten seconds remaining there was a ball-up within twenty metres of the Swans' goal. Davis collected the tap of ruckman Jason Ball but did not have time to take a clean possession. Davis was also on the wrong side of the goal for a right-footed player of his nature. Davis juggled the ball before snapping a shot with his left-foot, kicking a goal and sealing the match with just 3 seconds remaining. The goal, which gave the Sydney Swans their only lead of the game, sent the crowd at the SCG into hysterics. The game is considered to be one of the most exciting finals in recent history and as someone who was there, right behind the goals, the ROAR was deafening!!!
this :thumbsu:

Austin Wonaeamirri's goal to put Melbourne in front against Fremantle in 2008. We were down by 50 points at half time, biggest comeback Melbourne's ever had

Go to 2:20 for it.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say. There were only 20k of us there that day, but when Aussie put us in front, it sounded like 100k. Another nomination would be when Yze put us in front in the 2000 QF. That was damn loud.

The only game I ever went to at Waverley- St Kilda v Essendon in 1998.

I remember two moments seeming really, really loud at the ground, and the video seems to confirm this:

Darren Bewick's goal at 8:50 to put Essendon back in front. And..
The final siren at 9:15.

In reality they're probably no louder than other games I've been to, but they stick in the memory. Was an epic game!

That said, just in terms of pure, ear hurting volume, the noisiest I have ever heard at subi was this -

Everyone in the stadium was yelling non stop that last quarter, and the roar when Hunter put them up at 2:00.. "Adam Hunter... Took the great mark! Kicked the great goal!"

Can't believe I forgot that one. It was our first final at home since 1996 I think. Sensational game, electric atmosphere. Gardiner handballs to Sampi who snaps a great left foot goal, Sydney score two in a hurry and then Dean Cox takes two match saving marks in defence, with 34 minutes gone.

The '02 Prelim had a crowd of what, 90,000? 80,000 long suffering Collingwood supporters experiencing their first finals series in 6 years or so? Maybe longer. Not sure how a football crowd could get louder than that. Particularly given the third quarter comeback.
Rocca's 60 metre goal to give us some breathing space was the loudest thing I've heard at a footy ground. Followed by Didak's sealer late in the last quarter.
Followed by Pendles' goal in '10 prelim.
Followed by Johnson's goal in the same game.
Followed by Shaw's smother in the granny replay.
Followed by Goddard's mark in the draw.

One thing I regret about my football following life so far is not getting to enough blockbusters between other teams. Therefore, my list if fairly Collingwood-oriented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back